Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times

Advertisements

A black friend of mine who is a cop posted this on his Facebook page the other day, and he pissed a bunch of people off. One guy was spouting how this guy wasn't nothing but a Jerri-curl Uncle Tom cracker in disguise.

To his credit, my friend told him he didn't care what he thought, and that since he is evidently part of the problem, there was no reason for them to be friends anymore.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:45 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
You sound silly.
Since when does size determine if someone is a kid or not?

Are you going to tell me that a 12 yr old who is 5ft 8in and 200 pounds not a kid?

Is the 21 yr old 120 pound,5 ft 2 in man still a "boy"?
Where did I say it determines whether they are a kid? I said "kid" because that's what the media and protestors want you to think he is. They put out a picture of him that makes him look younger/smaller than he actually is (probably a picture that's a few years old), trying to make him look like a kid. When in fact, he was 6'4", 292 lbs and 18 years old.

You are the one who sounds silly.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:56 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
This isn't about one person getting shot. This is about how people are treated as a whole. It's very easy to sit back and give an opinion when you don't have to live a daily life situation. What's not being addressed is the Latino community has some of the same issues and concerns as the Black community.

People need to do away with the tunnel vision and consider the whole historical picture of how a people are and have been treated. It is supposed to be "We the people"..

Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
I have many Black friends that are educated, none all called uncle toms by other blacks. They have been called Uncle Tom by my white friends who, just because they listen to Rap music, think they know more about black people than Black people.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:15 PM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Where did I say it determines whether they are a kid? I said "kid" because that's what the media and protestors want you to think he is. They put out a picture of him that makes him look younger/smaller than he actually is (probably a picture that's a few years old), trying to make him look like a kid. When in fact, he was 6'4", 292 lbs and 18 years old.

You are the one who sounds silly.
Well ---we still have to do an investigation and see IF the deputy fired as taught and IF it was the appropriate call.... are you the judge? I know many 18 yr olds ... definitely not ready to be called a men. Out of all of the ones I met, maybe 1 or two are mature enough to really be that, but it is this generation- and you're not going to change it. The evidence will come forth, and I am 100% pro Leos... but some who carry a gun and a badge not grown up men either.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:35 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
When something like these riots occur, black America might as well take a hammer and hit themselves in the head. It does so much harm to the progress they have made over the past 50 years. I was surprised how many customers and people at work today started discussions about how shameful this situation is, and how they now feel so different about black people.

One middle aged woman even made the comment that she had supported black people until this latest event, but she "has no use for them now." A few people even got to the point of using the N word and saying how disgusted they were over the way this is going.

It really is something that could have been handled so differently and it would have left people with more willingness to sympathize with their protests. Shameful and disgusting are two words that I feel are appropriate in this instance.

Don

Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When something like these riots occur, black America might as well take a hammer and hit themselves in the head. It does so much harm to the progress they have made over the past 50 years. I was surprised how many customers and people at work today started discussions about how shameful this situation is, and how they now feel so different about black people.

One middle aged woman even made the comment that she had supported black people until this latest event, but she "has no use for them now." A few people even got to the point of using the N word and saying how disgusted they were over the way this is going.

It really is something that could have been handled so differently and it would have left people with more willingness to sympathize with their protests. Shameful and disgusting are two words that I feel are appropriate in this instance.

Don
The only thing shameful and disgusting is this post and the conversations white people are having about blacks at work. If you are using the N-word, it is because you wanted to in the first place.

It is absolutely pitiful that some ignorant white people (yes dammit that is ignorant) are still looking for any excuse to condemn an entire group of people that they have been systematically oppressing for centuries. Congratulations.. these people have earned the "racist" nametag they've tried so hard to avoid.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:53 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
I think maybe this isn't the best case for them if evidence proves that the victim was charging the officer with his head down.

Frankly, I think Trayvon Martin was a better case; still shaking my head on how that one turned out.

What I do think ~ is this is the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. One too many regardless of the actual facts and circumstances.

I also think that the protestors would be SO MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE if there were no looting and violence.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:06 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,149,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The only thing shameful and disgusting is this post and the conversations white people are having about blacks at work. If you are using the N-word, it is because you wanted to in the first place.

It is absolutely pitiful that some ignorant white people (yes dammit that is ignorant) are still looking for any excuse to condemn an entire group of people that they have been systematically oppressing for centuries. Congratulations.. these people have earned the "racist" nametag they've tried so hard to avoid.
Well, if you just read what he wrote, and look at it objectively, he's not wrong. Who gets hurt when these kids or w/e burn down their communities? It's certainly not the wealthy developers that have been waiting for decades to regentrify that area, and have no problem waiting a few more for any 'survivors' of the neighbor leaving. Its not the new yuppies that will be moving in...who? *shrugs*

I dont know where the N-word thingy comes from, but I hear people of any color use it all the time. People can set what boundaries and play what prosteletizing semantic games over that they like - the N-word is main stream culture now.

You dont have to be a particular color to use it amongst your peer group anymore. You peer group may be any single race or mixed as far as I have witnessed publicly for over the past 6 years at least. Listen to a lot of Rap and Hip Hop. Young people of all colors listen to Rap and Hip Hop. The N-word is hardly hidden. Im not judging it either - ultimately it might be a good thing to desegregate the N-word. Who knows?

I hope ya feel better now that ya vented, brah - but instead, with a calmer rationale, try reading it again, and seeing how it relates to the question I asked.

This is my history lesson: This violence thing has been done over and over again, and its not winning anyone any sympathy, and never has. You can put your own personal feelings into my words if you like - but in the end...stop hating - everybody!

I wish this Pastor was at my church. Im pretty confident he could hold my atention for the hour!

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 08-18-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,964,579 times
People need to understand the media is tapping into your mind. People in general riot for many reasons. Open up your mind. Your being played.

http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=1...?v=iQ0-Zp-rOQE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies