Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 AM

939 posts, read 795,730 times

Advertisements

Your views are extreme, but your point is well taken. While none of us want to be tattle tales, knowing your co-workers actions or inactions are affecting the lives of others, and buying your head in the sand is inexcusable. When people in authority abuse their positions (Not an infrequent occurance with Judges, DA's detectives, and cops), and others support or enable them- that is wrong. Having worked in the CJ system, and done time as well, I honestly beliecve the integrity level of the average inmate is higher than most "higher ups" in the system. It's all about CYA, and getting more "notches" in their belt (arrests, convictions, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 08:06 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,908,614 times
I too find it is mostly criminals who hate the cops so much and so blindly.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:07 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
You would be incorrect, because I have not done as you claim. So good luck with that generalization.
So, you are saying that you ran afoul of the law, but do not hold the thought that all cops are bad?

Anyway, odd statement, since I had not quoted you or otherwise addressed you in any way. I was noting my personal experience representing those charged with a crime (mainly burglary and such).

Old 08-22-2014, 08:10 AM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
We're certainly not at the Sheriff Andy relationship very much anymore.

I just moved from a smallish midwestern city in which even a traffic stop brought multiple squad cars. I kid you not--I once saw a cop stop a bycyclist and two other cars swooped in. There was no arrest, but I suspect the bicyclist's pucker factor went to eleven.

We are told that when stopped by a police officer, do everything possible to assure him you are being compliant and not resistant. This is very much like the advice given to campers when a bear wanders into their camp. Why is the public advised to regard police officers like wild animals who might turn deadly at any moment...and why is this considered "normal?"

Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I remember when I practiced some criminal law (mainly court-appointed). Seems that every person that ran afoul of the law held the same opinion about the police.
That was your experience. From the other side of those court appointed attorneys represent (I use that term represent VERY loosely), most court appointed attorneys do nothing more than "go thru the motions". Thay are usually "sleeping" with the DA's office,and go along with their agenda. These movies that show the Cort appointed attornry knocking themselves out for an innocent client are not reality. Anyone who is arrested for a serious felony, and cannot afford their own attorney (innocence or guilt is irrelevant) is up the creek.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Your views are extreme, but your point is well taken. While none of us want to be tattle tales, knowing your co-workers actions or inactions are affecting the lives of others, and buying your head in the sand is inexcusable. When people in authority abuse their positions (Not an infrequent occurance with Judges, DA's detectives, and cops), and others support or enable them- that is wrong. Having worked in the CJ system, and done time as well, I honestly beliecve the integrity level of the average inmate is higher than most "higher ups" in the system. It's all about CYA, and getting more "notches" in their belt (arrests, convictions, etc).
Public attorneys as well. Kids for cash scandal luzerne county Pa.
Kids for cash scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-22-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Why is it OK to hate the cops but if you say anything even slightly critical of the soldiers people think you're scum?
Good question. I suppose that's because soldiers are not using their position/authority against American citizens.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:14 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
So, you are saying that you ran afoul of the law, but do not hold the thought that all cops are bad?

Anyway, odd statement, since I had not quoted you or otherwise addressed you in any way. I was noting my personal experience representing those charged with a crime (mainly burglary and such).
You were generalizing, that is why I commented. NO! I have not ran afoul of the law, yet I still think all cops are bad. So not everyone that thinks cops are bad, ( militarized ones usually are ) are not all law breakers!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Public attorneys as well. Kids for cash scandal luzerne county Pa.
Kids for cash scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I remember hearing about this. The reality is with human nature that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I have never understood why Judges seem to be accountable to NOBODY. You might say they are accountable to the general public- hogwash. They are not challenged (I'm not talking about legal appeals here), and voters are like sheep- they just keep re-electing the same people to office, or they run without opposition.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:19 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Cops aren't supposed to be good or bad, but to enforce the law.
They are heroes though, because they are part of a small group of people who are willing to risk their lives for others or things other than monetary gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies