Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2014, 11:15 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Does it hurt when you make such horrible assumptions? For the record, I am very conservative. I am sure there are plenty of other posters as well as my own posting history that would attest to that. However, I am also half black, very successful, and genuinely believe in the model of personal responsibility. My own father, a conservative black man, also was highly successful to the point that he became a VP of a Fortune 500 company before he retired. He too was a strong believer in personal responsibility. What you seemed to not understand is that your gross generalization was exactly that, easily disproved, and lack specificity. If you're going to make a complaint, make it specific. Let this serve as a lesson learned for you. Does the truth hurt?
And do you know what that makes you? AVERAGE! That's right, AVERAGE. You get no pat on the back nor any special consideration simply because you are half Black. Millions of whites, Asians, Middle Eastern people, Hispanics, etc., are also wealthy or middle class. Many have risen from below the poverty level within their own lifetimes and made themselves wealthy or risen to the upper middle class level in society. Do you really think you are special or deserving of a blue ribbon or some other award?

Old 08-24-2014, 11:17 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Whites are minorities in several states so it can't be White vs Black there.
It's Hispanic vs Black now.
Pretty soon they will start killing each other over a piece of gutter.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Even when adjusting for education level, Blacks still have a higher unemployment rate than Whites. Blacks with only a high school education have an unemployment rate on par with Whites who drop out of high school.
The industry on the move now and for the foreseeable future is in Silicon Valley and high-tech as well as in the medical technologies. Blacks are very poorly represented within these industries. Asians and Middle Eastern folks are highly involved within these industries and will see their incomes rise as will whites. Again, without the skills to enter into these fields, Blacks will be passed by of their own accord.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
And do you know what that makes you? AVERAGE! That's right, AVERAGE. You get no pat on the back nor any special consideration simply because you are half Black. Millions of whites, Asians, Middle Eastern people, Hispanics, etc., are also wealthy or middle class. Many have risen from below the poverty level within their own lifetimes and made themselves wealthy or risen to the upper middle class level in society. Do you really think you are special or deserving of a blue ribbon or some other award?
She isn't asking for a blue ribbon. Black people like myself and southbel are not asking for a pat on the back. And the fact that you would assume such shows a high level of hubris. The problem people like her and myself is that we get no recognition. The segment of the Black population who causes so many problems gets all the attention, and for the wrong reasons. Black people like me get tired of getting lumped in with the underclass.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:23 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Also, the meme of 70% of black children being raised in single parent homes is probably false as well.

What I saw in the census I think is about 40% of black households with children under 18 are married.

Yes, the rest are single, but how are they single? Are some of those households single due to one spouse dying, the product of divorce, the product of a legal separation?

In other words, it is very likely that the classic meaning of the word single parent household, meaning a single never married mom is far far far less than 70%.

And the problem with how that stat is misused is that it's not stressed that it is a picture in time, not the child's whole life.

Again when the term single parent household is used, we pretend as if that stays the same for the child's whole childhood, but 100% guaranteed some of the single parent households one year become married couples another year.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
Yep, just ignore the fact that black college grads are much less likely to have an extensive network as whites upon graduating.
I ignored nothing, but when people lie and say education will eliminate the racial income gap, and there is overwhelming data that shows no more educated black peoe on average when compared to more educated white people still earn far less and still have twice the unemployment rate.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
She isn't asking for a blue ribbon. Black people like myself and southbel are not asking for a pat on the back. And the fact that you would assume such shows a high level of hubris. The problem people like her and myself is that we gveryoneret no recognition. The segment of the Black population who causes so many problems gets all the attention, and for the wrong reasons. Black people like me get tired of getting lumped in with the underclass.
The rest of us get no recognition either. So? The rest of us simply go about our daily lives raising our families and making a living. It appears that you and she expect everyone to put you on a pedestal or something because you are doing exactly what the rest of us have done.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Income-wise, there are definitely some places where blacks out-earn whites.

You wouldn't hear about it b/c people are only interested in black ppl screwing up, failing or lagging behind.

Queens, NY is one of them (population 2.2 million):
Queens County, NY Income and Careers
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/ny...anted=all&_r=0

A good amount of diverse suburban communities on neighboring Long Island (South Shore) follow the same pattern also:

Valley Stream:
Valley Stream, NY Income and Careers
//www.city-data.com/income/inco...-New-York.html

W.Babylon:
West Babylon, NY Income and Careers

Baldwin:
Baldwin, NY Income and Careers

Wheatley Heights:
Wheatley Heights, NY Income and Careers

Freeport:
Freeport, NY Income and Careers

Baldwin Harbor:
Baldwin Harbor, NY Income and Careers

Elmont:
Elmont, NY Income and Careers

Westbury:
Westbury, NY Income and Careers

.... And several more

I know it doesn't represent the national picture, but there are definitely exceptions to the rule.

Well, average doesn't mean absolute.

Also the wealth gap between black and white people is much much much larger than the income gap which is itself very large.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:37 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
The industry on the move now and for the foreseeable future is in Silicon Valley and high-tech as well as in the medical technologies. Blacks are very poorly represented within these industries. Asians and Middle Eastern folks are highly involved within these industries and will see their incomes rise as will whites. Again, without the skills to enter into these fields, Blacks will be passed by of their own accord.
Even with IT jobs on the move, alot of jobs get outsourced overseas. And something else, in order to back your statement up, please produce these statistics: What is the rate of Blacks getting jobs in the high tech industry ON THE OCCASION of having degrees in such fields? You can produce the statistics for how Blacks are passed over in high tech for not having the skills, but what about the occasion that Blacks have the skills.

And furthermore, address the rate of unemployment rate for Blacks who only get a high school diploma vs Whites who drop out of high school and never get a diploma.

And read this: Corporations Slight Black MBAs - BusinessWeek

After reading this, one cannot deny that racial discrimination still exists in corporate America. There are Black people with MBAs are going into business for themselves because of the discrimination taking place. Even on the occasion of getting a degree that is in demand, one cannot discount being passed up for promotions or being turned down for jobs.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I ignored nothing, but when people lie and say education will eliminate the racial income gap, and there is overwhelming data that shows no more educated black peoe on average when compared to more educated white people still earn far less and still have twice the unemployment rate.
Are you comparing apples and oranges such as degrees in what fields compared? One might have a degree in teaching and make a whole lots less than one with a degree in network design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies