Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:22 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times

Advertisements

Here is another Paul editorial where he takes more swipes at Hillary/Obama on foreign policy. I just wonder if Paul is peaking to soon and will run out of steam since there is a lot of time left. This is a good read because Paul does not leave out {R} party on his criticism on U S foreign policy. He comes to the same conclusion of most Cd posters that are foreign policy is a cluster .....

Our so-called foreign policy experts are failing us miserably. The Obama administration's feckless veering is making it worse. It seems the only thing both sides of this flawed debate agree on is that "something" must be done. It is the only thing they ever agree on.

Rand Paul: How U.S. Interventionists Abetted the Rise of ISIS - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 08:32 AM

430 posts, read 379,950 times
Isolationism is a category of foreign policies institutionalized by leaders who asserted that their nations' best interests were best served by keeping the affairs of other countries at a distance, as well as a term used, sometimes pejoratively, in political debates. Most[who?] Isolationists believe that limiting international involvement keeps their country from being drawn into dangerous and otherwise undesirable conflicts. Some[who?] strict Isolationists believe that their country is best served by even avoiding international trade agreements or other mutual assistance pacts.[1]

Non-interventionism – is the belief that political rulers should avoid military alliances with other nations and to avoid interfering in wars bearing no direct impact on their nation. However, most non-interventionists are supporters of free trade, travel, and support certain international agreements, unlike isolationists.

Both Paul's were non interventionist not Isolationist.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM

430 posts, read 379,950 times
Is Rand Paul a Secret Hawk? Or Maybe Not a Total Dove? - The Daily Beast

Either way I think Rand panders WAY TO MUCH to special interests and pretty much whoever he is trying to please at the moment instead of sticking to his guns and sticking to a stance...starting to remind me of Romney...either way he will never get my vote.Neither will Hillary.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:36 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
This will be his biggest problem and might be the reason he may have trouble getting the nomination: His isolationist attitude is hard for many other than his strongest supporters to accept. I am not a hawk, by any means but I am have trouble with isolationism. I know his supporters say he isn't an isolationist, I disagree.

There is nothing isolationist about not wanting to be the worlds bully any longer.
He doesn't want to end trade with those nations and isolate them from us, or us from them.

The problem is, there are many that think the same absolutes as you and think all, or nothing.

Old 08-28-2014, 11:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There is nothing isolationist about not wanting to be the worlds bully any longer.
He doesn't want to end trade with those nations and isolate them from us, or us from them.

The problem is, there are many that think the same absolutes as you and think all, or nothing.
You know I never have said I wanted to continue policing the world or fight for our values and way of government to apply to everyone. I don't want us involved in the wars others are fighting unless the outcome could eventually carry over to us. I am just not convinced his way is the right way. I am for compromising but not when it means giving up...Again, you know I am leaning toward supporting him but I am not going to make up my mind until I hear more of what others have to say and we get a little closer to 2016. I don't think it is wise to make a decision too far from the election. Now what he needs is someone to teach him to smile!!!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post

Either way I think Rand panders WAY TO MUCH to special interests and pretty much whoever he is trying to please at the moment instead of sticking to his guns and sticking to a stance...starting to remind me of Romney...either way he will never get my vote.Neither will Hillary.
Wow, I am not quite sure where you are getting your impression of him, but obviously many do not agree. pandering is the last thing I would accuse him of doing. If anything he might stand up for his beliefs so much that he will end up, like his dad, not willing to compromise.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You know I never have said I wanted to continue policing the world or fight for our values and way of government to apply to everyone. I don't want us involved in the wars others are fighting unless the outcome could eventually carry over to us. I am just not convinced his way is the right way. I am for compromising but not when it means giving up...Again, you know I am leaning toward supporting him but I am not going to make up my mind until I hear more of what others have to say and we get a little closer to 2016. I don't think it is wise to make a decision too far from the election. Now what he needs is someone to teach him to smile!!!!!!!!
I'd say this was a quite fair position to hold.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:43 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,045 times
Hilary is a hawk though. Lol at the people who still think she's a liberal

Old 08-30-2014, 05:47 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post

Look how he votes. His votes prove he doesn't pander.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Hilary is a hawk though. Lol at the people who still think she's a liberal
To those on the far left, yes you might see her as a hawk, but to most this is not the case, nor is she a dove, but she does lean liberal in many situation or liberal compared to many. There is more to liberal versus conservative than foreign policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies