Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 01:36 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times

Advertisements

In the last couple of weeks, a multitude of NFL players have been suspended or fined for situations that happened in their personal lives that did not affect their job performances. Here is an example.
Aldon Smith of San Francisco 49ers suspended nine games - ESPN

Quote:
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith has been suspended for the first nine games of the season for violating the NFL's personal conduct and substance abuse policies.
I used this example only because it is the most recent, it is one of many, but in a bigger context; Do you believe the NFL should suspend and/or fine its players based on their personal conduct ?

Im not asking this from a legal stand point, but from a personal ideological/philosophy one.

My personal belief is that a player should not be punished for a personal incident that does not affect their play on the field. I mean, what if your job had the same personal conduct policy and say you got drunk and arrested on your vacation and they suspended you for 6 months with no pay, would you be cool with that ?

Old 08-31-2014, 01:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
In the last couple of weeks, a multitude of NFL players have been suspended or fined for situations that happened in their personal lives that did not affect their job performances. Here is an example.

I used this example only because it is the most recent, it is one of many, but in a bigger context; Do you believe the NFL should suspend and/or fine its players based on their personal conduct ?

Im not asking this from a legal stand point, but from a personal ideological/philosophy one.

My personal belief is that a player should not be punished for a personal incident that does not affect their play on the field. I mean, what if your job had the same personal conduct policy and say you got drunk and arrested on your vacation and they suspended you for 6 months with no pay, would you be cool with that ?
Yes they should be held to a higher standard that their salary dictates.

They want to act like a bum, they can quit and be a bum.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:39 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Personal problems like dui's, assault, drug use? Yes.
Divorce, family member's illness, financial problems? No.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:42 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:

If I violated company policy and am punished accordingly, I'm at fault. If a company asks me not to do something that I want to do, like say drink too much, I have two options: stop drinking too much or work somewhere where I'm allowed to drink to my heart's content.

NFL players are under contract. If they violate it, that's on them. No one forced them to sign the contract. They made that decision on their own. By violating the contract, they also made that decision. Actions have consequences. If you don't want to risk those consequences, you don't take the action, rather that's choosing to not sign a contract or choosing to not violate the NFLs substance abuse policy.

So yeah, I think the NFL can suspend their players if they do something they feel is inappropriate as the player in question is contractually obligated to follow those rules.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:45 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
The NFL is an entertainment product, with emphasis on the "product" aspect. It is marketed and sold as a commodity. I would view it more or less the same as any other corporate entity selling its wares to consumers. Players are ultimately just employees.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:50 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:

I'm a huge 49ers fan from when Montana won his second ring.

The 49ers as a team have some issues this off season. I was thinking Super Bowl, but too many issues. Aldon Smith is suspended for 9 games. Bowman is hurt for at least the first 6 games. Glenn Dorsey got injured.

Their secondary has 2 new starters to the team

Ray is a big piece of that defensive line. A very solid player.

Ultimately though players get cut all the time for salary cap reasons, seems reasonable to cut a player for being a woman beater.

Last edited by Iamme73; 08-31-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
If I violated company policy and am punished accordingly, I'm at fault. If a company asks me not to do something that I want to do, like say drink too much, I have two options: stop drinking too much or work somewhere where I'm allowed to drink to my heart's content.

NFL players are under contract. If they violate it, that's on them. No one forced them to sign the contract. They made that decision on their own. By violating the contract, they also made that decision. Actions have consequences. If you don't want to risk those consequences, you don't take the action, rather that's choosing to not sign a contract or choosing to not violate the NFLs substance abuse policy.

So yeah, I think the NFL can suspend their players if they do something they feel is inappropriate as the player in question is contractually obligated to follow those rules.
im not asking if they "can" do it, im asking if you believe they should.

for example, congress could theoretically levy a 70% tax on all people, it doesnt mean you believe they should.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:53 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,876,449 times
This is a contract issue. If you sign a contract and you violate it, you suffer the consequences, the same way any of us would if we violated a contract we entered into. Seems pretty cut and dried.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
im not asking if they "can" do it, im asking if you believe they should.

for example, congress could theoretically levy a 70% tax on all people, it doesnt mean you believe they should.
The players have a contract though.

Should the contract contain a morality clause? I don't know. I suppose it depends on which angle you view the issue from. The NFL wants people to watch their games and they want to be family friendly, so I suppose it makes sense.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This is a contract issue. If you sign a contract and you violate it, you suffer the consequences, the same way any of us would if we violated a contract we entered into. Seems pretty cut and dried.
again, i thought i made this clear in the op.

im not asking if they "can do it", it is pretty clear that they can. I am asking if you believe they should do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies