Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 03:32 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
How rude....
So you went to Harvard?

It wasn't rude. If the poster claims that what he was taught in school turned out to be contradictory to his life experience so it's only logical to suspect that he went to a horrible business school. I would've asked for a refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I see this is the best you can get.

I am sure you went to better business school. Good for you.
I suspect I have. Thank you.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:34 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Visit western Europe where even a gas station attendant makes 40k/year.

Then buy a (non-designer) t-shirt for $45.00 after paying $16.00 for a gallon of gasoline and tell me how "liveable" your new wage is.
IN addition to that Credit downgrades are coming fast and furious all over Europe now.

In Germany Two-thirds of the price increase is due to new government fees, surcharges and taxes. But despite those price hikes, government pensions and social welfare payments have not been adjusted. As a result, every new fee becomes a threat to low-income consumers.

Grass is definitely not greener on the other side.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Visit western Europe where even a gas station attendant makes 40k/year.

Then buy a (non-designer) t-shirt for $45.00 after paying $16.00 for a gallon of gasoline and tell me how "liveable" your new wage is.

Did you really think that the price of gas in Europe is a result of higher wages for gas attendants? ROTFL

Old 09-05-2014, 03:35 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well that seems to be the reality of it all.
These people are not training themselves for anything.
There are not as many well-paying jobs to train for, thanks to technology and offshoring.

Quote:
So what will happen when the kiosks get installed ?
They'll be out of a job and lining up to apply for welfare programs.
Yes, and this is perhaps THE societal problem of the 21st century. What do you do with all the people who used to be able to earn a living? Tell them to go pound sand? That seems to be the conservatives' answer. But you get enough of a critical mass in that situation, and you WILL face unrest and an increasingly brittle society.

Quote:
As it is now they aren't happy flipping burgers for min wage.
And what are THEY doing about it ?
Are they getting training in some other field ?
No, they want the government to step in and give them more money.
You need the job opportunities for the training to be effective.

Quote:
So what will happen when they have no jobs ?
They will want government to step in and give them money.
This is why it would be best for America to figure out how to address its structural jobs problem. People really need decent jobs, not handouts. Look to Germany, which thanks to its excellent vocational training COMBINED with a good comprehensive government-led policy has enabled them to remain a hub of precision manufacturing and economic strength, even as others around them have been crumbling.

Unfortunately, it seems those jobs will not just come if you leave the market on its own. The market on its own will send every single job to a robot / cheap China that it possibly can.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:36 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
It wasn't rude. If the poster claims that what he was taught in school turned out to be contradictory to his life experience then naturally I suspect he must have gone to a horrible business school.
I had an art degree. and I went to get a business degree to satisfy my dad. But I learned how to run my family business with knowledge and experience. Thank you.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
We have gone through this topic like a thousand times here but I have yet to get an answer as just where you would expect the money come from to cover the increase in wages?

Once you know the answer to this question, you will understand why increasing the minimum wage or so-called paying a liveable wage is a such stupid idea.

Now the politicians know the answer precisely but the people who typically making the minimum wage have no clue and they get played by the politicians like a cello.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:39 PM

Great analysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
There are not as many well-paying jobs to train for, thanks to technology and offshoring.

Yes, and this is perhaps THE societal problem of the 21st century. What do you do with all the people who used to be able to earn a living? Tell them to go pound sand? That seems to be the conservatives' answer. But you get enough of a critical mass in that situation, and you WILL face unrest and an increasingly brittle society.

You need the job opportunities for the training to be effective.

This is why it would be best for America to figure out how to address its structural jobs problem. People really need decent jobs, not handouts. Look to Germany, which thanks to its excellent vocational training COMBINED with a good comprehensive government-led policy has enabled them to remain a hub of precision manufacturing and economic strength, even as others around them have been crumbling.

Unfortunately, it seems those jobs will not just come if you leave the market on its own. The market on its own will send every single job to a robot / cheap China that it possibly can.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
There are not as many well-paying jobs to train for, thanks to technology and offshoring .
Which as I pointed out yesterday is the real problem. One that could be addressed but isn't.

Quote:
You address the disease not the symptoms.

Quote:
It's more than that.

Quote:
What have we done to address that?

Old 09-05-2014, 03:40 PM

It's been said so many times... Ok. One more time: from a consumer buying in mcdonalds and burger kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We have gone through this topic like a thousand times here but I have yet to get an answer as just where you would expect the money come from to cover the increase in wages?

Once you know the answer to this question, you will understand why increasing the minimum wage or so-called paying a liveable wage is a such stupid idea.

Now the politicians know the answer precisely but the people who typically making the minimum wage have no clue and they get played by the politicians like a cello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies