Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:24 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It has to do with conservatives because they are spreading lies based on this article to smear Obamacare.

No idea where you got the "liberals all want to die at 75" nonsense. Maybe from the conservatives who have been saying it.
Exactly. This is a conservative back door shot at the "Death Panels" they attach to Obamacare. Just something more to create fear in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 04:23 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Shouldn't be an issue in rural areas of Red State where life expectancy is in a free fall. Men in some West Virginia counties on average die at age 58

Old 09-29-2014, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
So, you're saying that volunteering absolve them of their bearing false witness sin?

The thought of barely living on for years while not being able to do anything on my own terrifies me. You go ahead and spend the last decade of your life having someone else change your diapers for you. I PERSONALLY will not go through that.

Now, back to topic. Are you willing to admit that conservatives in this thread have been taking Emmanuelle's words out of context (bearing false witness) or is this one of those instances where it's ok to bear false witness against thy neighbor?
OMG, no one is saying what you are trying to claim they are: conservatives or liberals, white or black. What is being said, there is no time line on how long someone should live or how they live their life. If you are going to start this crap about False witness, maybe we should simply say, life and death is in the hands of God, but that is a different topic altogether.

I certainly do not think people should live in a vegetarian state, whether 50, 75 or 100. We see this too often when we do volunteer work with shut ins which hubby and I do monthly.

The simple point is: no one can put an age on what the perfect age to die. I thought it was the libs that accused the conservatives of wanting to push grandma off the cliff. Seems like it is visa versa if you had your way!!!!??

Old 09-29-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Again, thank you for sharing the perspective from a medical standpoint.

There is no denying that obesity increases the risk factors associated with most serious diseases.
you are right, but I think this is a topic that should be discussed separately. There are a lot of reasons for obesity, not just among seniors but the population overall. It has little to do with the nut who thinks we should all check out at 75 or the perfect age to check out is 75.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
If you had bothered to read the article by him in which he expresses the idea of death at 75, you'd know the answer to the bolded and perhaps you wouldn't feel the need to tell him to shut his mouth, when you cannot bother to find out what he's saying yet object anyways.

And as to having a will that states his life is to end in 18 years - you do know what a will is, right? They aren't documents that say "kill me by such-and-such year" and then that gets carried out.
OFGS, I never told him to shut his mouth, where are you getting that? I did read the article and I was saying "tongue in cheek" about his will. Obviously I know what a will is. The point of all this discussion is simply: there is no way anyone call decide what is a good age for life to end. Each situation is different.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What a horrible way to live. If I can no longer take care of myself and have to rely on others...just give me a way out. I don't want anyone bathing me and changing adult diapers. Pills would do just fine, thank you.
Has anyone said it isn't a horrible way to live or we want to live that way? of course not. I was answering the question the poster asked about what a nursing home was, nothing else. I don't think anyone wants to live that way. I have seen too many who do, but I will say, certainly not everyone in nursing homes are dependent on someone changing their diapers or feeding them. Many simply have conditions that keep them from living alone or are recovering from surgery or injuries.

Old 09-29-2014, 05:57 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
"Americans seem to be obsessed with exercising, doing mental puzzles, consuming various juice and protein concoctions, sticking to strict diets, and popping vitamins and supplements, all in a valiant effort to cheat death and prolong life as long as possible. This has become so pervasive that it now defines a cultural type: what I call the American immortal. I reject this aspiration. I think this manic desperation to endlessly extend life is misguided and potentially destructive. For many reasons, 75 is a pretty good age to aim to stop"

Article: Obamacare Creator: Die at 75!

Video: Dr. Zeke Emanuel: 75 Years Long Enough to Live

Way to go you low life, spineless, wormy, cringe inducing, panty-waste. Scare 'em, guilt 'em, insult em, not-so-subletly try to pursuade them. All with a cheesy smile on your face.

Warming up the unwashed masses.

The slime ball is 57 years old. Let's see what this moron does when he is 74 years old.
"The slime ball is 57 years old. Let's see what this moron does when he is 74 years old."

You post juvenile crap like this and expect an adult discussion?

Get real!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:28 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
It has to do with conservatives because they are spreading lies based on this article to smear Obamacare.

No idea where you got the "liberals all want to die at 75" nonsense. Maybe from the conservatives who have been saying it.
That is what I was asking those who posted that.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:48 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
What is illogical, arrogant, and self-absorbed about someone making a personal decision on what they want for their life as they age? It's his life, his choice. He is not saying that he wants to take away your choice to lead your elderly life as you wish.
Actually it is the inverse that we should be more thankful for. That being so many of our sick and aged folks realize that their time is either up or limited, and elect to NOT pursue further life at the expense of quality, with suffering and cost burdens on the rest of us.

Old 09-29-2014, 08:51 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,576,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, no one is saying what you are trying to claim they are: conservatives or liberals, white or black. What is being said, there is no time line on how long someone should live or how they live their life. If you are going to start this crap about False witness, maybe we should simply say, life and death is in the hands of God, but that is a different topic altogether.

I certainly do not think people should live in a vegetarian state, whether 50, 75 or 100. We see this too often when we do volunteer work with shut ins which hubby and I do monthly.

The simple point is: no one can put an age on what the perfect age to die. I thought it was the libs that accused the conservatives of wanting to push grandma off the cliff. Seems like it is visa versa if you had your way!!!!??
You should re-read the OP and his subsequent cheerleaders.

We're just thinking out loud with the age 75 thing. No one, not Emmanuelle, not myself, not Obama, NOONE has ever even suggested we have some kind of death panel. And yet conservatives continue to bear false witness by claiming that liberals want to install death panels.

Whatever happened to moral high ground thing?

Added by edit.

And again, just thinking out loud and applying it ONLY TO MYSELF, I would like to go out while I'm still mobile and kicking. My grandmother was put on life support for 9 years before she finally passed. She spent that last 9 years in a vegetative state. And my parents are religious, so they had to hire a doctor and nurse to take care of my grandmother while she was lying at home. Try to take a wild guess how much it cost for that 9 years to keep her body alive.

I understand that it was my grandmother's and my parents' choice to spend all that money and resources keeping her body alive for that long.

But as for myself, I wouldn't want to put such a burden on my kids or myself. When it's time for me to go, it's time for me to go. What is so hard about that to understand?

I AM NOT SUGGESTING EVERYONE SHOULD THINK LIKE ME. I reserve the right to have my own opinion about how I go. What is so hard about that to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies