Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 04:46 PM

2,964 posts, read 3,532,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
Charlie Brooker says it all! Doug Stanhope throws it back in our British faces, but he's got a good point too...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TABgNerEro8

What do you Americans think of gun control? Do you see the irony in the idea of putting more guns in schools as a protection from being shot at?
LOL
I don't give a crap what you people think of our gun laws. Your so called democracy took a woman to court because she made racially insensitive remarks, while tasteless remarks deserve criticism; they don't warrant fines or jail time in a democracy. Free speech is the essential part of a democracy and your government has proven that it is anything but a democracy.

Tube passenger jailed for 21 weeks after video of her racist rant went viral - Telegraph

Old 10-03-2014, 04:48 PM

302 posts, read 196,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
I don't think you're getting the fundamental right aspect. If it's a fundamental right, there can be no tests, you're not tested to retain your right to life, you're not tested to reproduce, you're not tested before you buy any item or property. Even in the UK there is no requirement to pass a drivers test, or have insurance to own a car, you just need them to drive on the road, I owned trials bikes from age 9 and rode them in trials competitions, I was racing 250cc 2 strokes by 14, and driving around at friends places in Land Rovers and so on but could not drive on the UK roads, until I was 17 + 1 Day old (when I passed my driving test)
If we are going to use that reasoning though, then you'd simply need to say you don't need to test for owning the guns, you'd need a test to be able to fire them.

Quote:
Since 70% of all firearm homicides in the US are by handguns, and there have only been 3 unlawful homicides in the US from legally owned automatic firearms since 1986 (all three were by law enforcement BTW), why is access to a real AK-47, or subgun asking for trouble? Your opening paragraph states
Care for a source for that?

Old 10-03-2014, 04:56 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Not a fan of handguns other than I fully appreciate their design and mechanics; but until the laws are changed, it's your right to own them ......end of story.

I don't believe all this discussion about it being a constitutional right means a whole lot as it has been proven over and over again, any of your constitutionally entrenched rights get changed or completely abrogated through the machinations of a prejudiced SCOTUS.

Not too long ago you had the right to probable cause and a warrant being necessary before a search, the right of habeas-corpus, the right of a trial in a timely fashion, the right of bail application and hearing, the right of confronting your accuser, the right of free movement without constraint unless probable cause was present to justify detention.

All those and a few more have gone the way of the dodo with approval of legislation rushed into practice due to fear mongering. I suspect laws governing firearm ownership will eventually parallel that course as well.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:06 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Not a fan of handguns other than I fully appreciate their design and mechanics; but until the laws are changed, it's your right to own them ......end of story.

I don't believe all this discussion about it being a constitutional right means a whole lot as it has been proven over and over again, any of your constitutionally entrenched rights get changed or completely abrogated through the machinations of a prejudiced SCOTUS.

Not too long ago you had the right to probable cause and a warrant being necessary before a search, the right of habeas-corpus, the right of a trial in a timely fashion, the right of bail application and hearing, the right of confronting your accuser, the right of free movement without constraint unless probable cause was present to justify detention.

All those and a few more have gone the way of the dodo with approval of legislation rushed into practice due to fear mongering. I suspect laws governing firearm ownership will eventually parallel that course as well.
The difference between the rights listed that have been abridged and usurping the Constitution regarding firearm ownership...many people in this country will not comply without government intervention. A very different situation.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:07 PM

402 posts, read 686,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Speak for yourself please. Many Americans agree with the British and Europeans regarding their distaste for our cowboy gun culture.
most Americans do not actually. The Brits have lost one of the basic rights.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
This Brit is not very bright.
Quote:
NRA: "Are the President's kids more important than yours"
Brit: "uh...yeah."
Uh, no. Not in America. This is probably a basic difference between Britain and America, and some Brits have trouble grasping the idea of a classless society. I will have to track down the quote, but one of my US History surveys recounts a story from the early 19th century where a British visitor to the US encounters a US farmer, and asks (paraphrase) "Who is your lord?" Meaning not in the religious sense, but in the civic sense. The reply came, (paraphrase), "Sir, that man has not yet been made."

Quote:
Wayne LaPierre: "The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

Brit: "So what you're saying is that when the bad guy turns the gun on himself, he becomes a good guy, and dies a hero."
No, that's not at all what he said, but debate is so much easier when you can stuff words into your opponents mouth, especially if the opponent is not present to call you on it. Typically suicides after mass shootings are done only do avoid capture and life behind bars, WHEN A GOOD GUY WITH A GUN SHOWS UP. Exactly as LaPierre says. This Brit is a moron.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:09 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
If you truly believe a "minority" of Americans own guns, you must live in a very blue area. I live in California and even here many people own multiple guns.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:12 PM

2,173 posts, read 2,582,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlaw View Post
most Americans do not actually. The Brits have lost one of the basic rights.
It is worth mentioning though, that many of us Brits don't see a gun as a fundamental right. Some might argue that a gun is a license to murder anyone you want!

Quote:
I don't think you're getting the fundamental right aspect. If it's a fundamental right, there can be no tests, you're not tested to retain your right to life, you're not tested to reproduce, you're not tested before you buy any item or property. Even in the UK there is no requirement to pass a drivers test, or have insurance to own a car, you just need them to drive on the road, I owned trials bikes from age 9 and rode them in trials competitions, I was racing 250cc 2 strokes by 14, and driving around at friends places in Land Rovers and so on but could not drive on the UK roads, until I was 17 + 1 Day old (when I passed my driving test)
Well, I believe people should at least be tested for their mental status. Before they start going around killing people in a School. Not in that, as someone else said, perhaps a handgun could be the legal right to own (like a car), but to actually shoot a handgun - then you will need a test (like driving a car on the road)... Anyway I'm more thinking about this being a law in the UK. The Americans can do whatever they want, obviously!

Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
I don't give a crap what you people think of our gun laws. Your so called democracy took a woman to court because she made racially insensitive remarks, while tasteless remarks deserve criticism; they don't warrant fines or jail time in a democracy. Free speech is the essential part of a democracy and your government has proven that it is anything but a democracy.

Tube passenger jailed for 21 weeks after video of her racist rant went viral - Telegraph
Oh al-righty then:

Justin Carter
Teen in jail for months over 'sarcastic' Facebook threat - CNN.com

Josh Pillault
Second teen spends months in jail for video game threat | The Daily Caller

Redskins
FCC Considering Whether to Ban TV Stations from Saying Redskins

The Benghazi cover-up bullcrap:
Producer of anti-Islam film arrested, ordered held without bail - CNN.com

Howard arrest
Supreme Court to Review Case of Man Arrested For Touching Dick Cheney | Fox News

How we doing with your sily comparison so far?

The topic was gun ownership was it not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies