Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 01:30 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,826 times

Advertisements

If the military already alerted itself to the threat, there's no point in spreading it on City-Data. The people who need to know already got the memo.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:54 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
There sure ARE random killings--and increasing mob violence in plain view of an increasingly impotent police force told to look the other way. But neither DH nor I "live in fear" of that because we're perfectly capable of defendingourselves

So, what concerns me more is the gradual pandering to Muslims because of that fear. Such as the sickening vision this morning of the mother of the next American targeted for beheading, pleading for her son's life while sitting in her own home here in America with her head covered.
Who are you to criticize this mother's actions? I'd do the same thing if I thought it would save the life of one of my kids, and to hell with anybody else's opinion.

The only reason people are "pandering"(your words, not mine) to Muslims, is because Muslims are being lumped together with radical Islamics. The Muslims I know are peace-loving, and loyal to the US.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:18 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
So, what concerns me more is the gradual pandering to Muslims because of that fear. Such as the sickening vision this morning of the mother of the next American targeted for beheading, pleading for her son's life while sitting in her own home here in America with her head covered.
Yes, a pretty sad situation all around.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:24 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Who are you to criticize this mother's actions? I'd do the same thing if I thought it would save the life of one of my kids, and to hell with anybody else's opinion.

The only reason people are "pandering"(your words, not mine) to Muslims, is because Muslims are being lumped together with radical Islamics. The Muslims I know are peace-loving, and loyal to the US.
The raging Islamists are indeed a minority. The problem is that that minority is a sizable one.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:34 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My point is that ISIL made a specific and pointed threat directly at military families - not simply American families. American military families. That's a bit different.
Okay, and they have made specific threats towards all American citizens too. They talk tough, but you don't see them coming ashore with AK's and RPG's now do ya. They said they were going to invade Texas at one point, so much for that...

They are trying to instigate the U.S military into attacking them so that they have an easier time getting recruits. Saying they are going to attack military families is their latest tactic.

I'm not saying they aren't a problem, but lets not buy into their scare tactics. The U.S military can squash them like a bug whenever they want, they aren't going to be taking over the world anytime soon.

Old 10-05-2014, 03:29 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
There are plenty of random killings of Americans in the United States that don't involve ISIS or any other Muslim extremists. I've never lived my life in fear of those random killings, and I'm not about to start living my life in fear now.
I get what you are saying. And it's a good attitude to have rather than be petrified of every stranger. And, we all know this (ISIS) band of thugs wants to put fear into our hearts. However, I do think forewarned is forearmed. And, not unlike when I lived in the UK in the 60's and 70's when we had to be on the lookout for IRA bombs (dodged one by the skin of my teeth), we need to be aware that we aren't an isolated place...these folks can come and go as they please. And, sadly some of our own people, and US resident have been and currently are being brainwashed into doing crazy lone wolf acts.

All I am saying is to be prepared. Be on the lookout. This doesn't mean be paranoid. But be prepared to defend yourself should something happen like it did in London to the soldier who was brutally murdered on the street.

I think we need to start tweeting and putting you tube vids out telling them we are prepared for a fight here. And reminding them of just how armed the American public is!

Old 10-05-2014, 05:12 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Kathryn, my prayers are with our military, serving and retired, as well as their famillies. Always have been.

I'm a bit safer in this rural area but still wonder WTH is going on in our world every day.

When 9/11 happened I began to understand the fears my mother endured when JFK was shot and the Cold War was on.
For a good dose of retro-fear, check out the exercise Able Archer 83.

Although the Wikipedia article is pretty accurate for as much as it contains, what it omits is our activity on the Strategic Air Combat Operation Staff in the SAC underground command post at Offutt AFB. The Soviets were actually opening silo doors and flushing their ballistic missile subs out of their naval bases to the open ocean.

While others were trying to calm the Soviets down, we in SACOS had to operate under the presumption that the war was going to happen. We were furiously running round-the-clock reconnaissance missions, tracking Soviet nuclear force movements, and re-targeting DGZs four four days before we were finally allowed to stand down. I didn't leave the underground for that entire four days. It was very scary--the generals had faces as gray as concrete. We really thought we were going to do it.

And that would have all been over a misunderstanding. I knew it was a bad idea when they first proposed combining all the national nuclear war exercises (they had Warren Christopher playing the part of the president.) Turning a purported "exercise" into a full-scale war is page one of the Soviet strategy manual.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:19 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times
as usual.........as I have done for the last 40 years.... maintain situational awareness wherever I am at whatever level is required for the situation/people/area. thats all you can do..........you have no control over fate.....

Forgot to add....... if needed,become the meanest MF"r on the planet........

Old 10-05-2014, 09:22 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
If everyone keeps their heads, ISIL will be thwarted.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:19 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
If the military already alerted itself to the threat, there's no point in spreading it on City-Data. The people who need to know already got the memo.
This is a discussion forum. I'm discussing it, because it's interesting, and because many C-D members have families who serve in the military. If you're not interested in it, please feel free to ignore the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies