Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 12:51 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We should all work together for the betterment of everyone. I don't see why this is such a difficult question to answer. No one is saying ONLY white people should work towards goals of equality. We should all recognize that actions have consequences, some of them very long term, catastrophic.
But the actions you refer to were not the actions of the people you feel should be paying the consequences. Treating people properly, according to the 10 Commandments/Golden Rule/Code of Hammurabi/etc is a fine baseline code of conduct, and all should aspire to it VOLUNTARILY, but what you are advocating is making present people pay for past peoples' actions.

Why am I responsible or culpable in some theoretical crime simply because I was born in the same geography where these past sins occurred and because I share physical characteristics with some of the people who committed them?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:53 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Many Italian and Irish Americans proudly display their country of origin's flag, often alongside Old Glory herself.

Nothing wrong with that!
Yes - it's OK to display the Italian and Irish flags at The Feast of San Gennaro and St. Patrick's Day, respectively, but when a certain poster (you know who that is) sees El Tricolor on Cinco de Mayo, his head just explodes!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I understand why she said this. My instinct is telling me she doesn't want to be a symbol or cheerleader or spokesperson or representative of any of the multiple groups who try to "claim" people as one of their own. I guess she doesn't want to be an activist for a cause and who the hell would in today's climate?
Maybe that's the case. There's nothing wrong with that if that's the position she's taking.

But saying you'e gay and African American doesn't make one an activist. I mean...that's a stretch, aint it?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:13 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You make a great point. Democratic elites don't view Blacks as fellow Americans but more as a racial group they can take advantage of when it comes to getting votes.
I've noticed more institutional racism from the Democrat party (that is, the party itself is racist in policy and action), while more individual racists come from the Republican party (the GOP party itself seems more color-blind policy and action-wise).

My own observation only of course.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It certainly is true that many Mexicans are of the Reconquista mindset and that they do say that whites are here illegally in their own country.
Mexicans took their land by force from American Indians; something they never mention.

The US at least paid the Mexicans for the southwest after beating them in war.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
As for your investments? LMAO.....you really need to give it up and chill with the Thurston Howell III routine

Ok, I did have to Google who that was. Waaaay before my time.

First I do not rock an ascot.

Second I dislike boats.

Third I wish I was like that dude excepting items one and two above. Dude chilled on a beach all day it seems.

That is clearly the face of a stone cold pimp.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Next week when Raven says something about climate change they will call her a nutjob.

That'd just make her wrong, not a "nutjob".

Even Stephen Hawking blew it on black holes in the 1990's.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,922 times
She's so right.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
As I said in a previous post, your "victim class" has had a long, storied history of discrimination and disenfranchisement in this country. OF COURSE you and others are salivating over Raven Symone's rejection of the black and lesbian labels. Why wouldn't you? It would absolve you and others from the burden of correcting the wrongs that have been done to such people over the past 200-300 years.
Uh; I DON'T "owe" the American Indians or Black people a single thing that I "owe" anglo white people of English family. Jim Crow's been dead for 50 years, ALL AI's are US citizens and so on. It's on THEM to step up and take care of business instead of blaming us "whiteys" for their screwing up and playing the fool. Sheesh!

Old 10-08-2014, 01:56 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Yes it is and until you recognize the correlation between the two topics, I'm afraid we are at an impasse.

Native Americans migrated here. Europeans came here, stole their land through deception and violence. Two different things.

Blacks did have their identities, names, culture, religion stolen from them. That is an incontrovertible fact. You can stick your fingers in your ears and sing, "la-la-la-la" all you'd like but it won't change historical fact.
Even if you're 100 percent right which you ain't; does it matter in 2014? The Indians got taken down by anglo and Hispanic white people and, most American Black people of of at least part slave family from Black Africa which happened 100's of years ago. It is what it is.

If we're gonna play "poor me": how about what us "Irish" went through even 100 years ago or we don't count because we're now anglo white in 2014?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies