Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 09:52 PM

37,183 posts, read 42,375,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Hahaha.

Gays simply want equal treatment under EXISTING laws.

Have you been complaining about the existence of civil marriage law throughout your life, or do you only complain when gay people want equal access to that law?

Have you been complaining for the last 50 or 60 years about laws that make discrimination against people on the basis of religion unlawful, or did you only start complaining when people asked for the same protection on the basis of sexual orientation?
Yet the case has nothing to do with any of this. It's not the person they were denying, it was the message on the shirt. That's different even though some people what to pretend it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 10:07 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,643,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Why is it so GD hard for these religious business owners to follow the laws of operating a business?
Why should they get special exemption from the laws that every business has to follow?
There you go. They have a Constitutionally protected right to religious freedom of which you show zero tolerance for yet you seek an unconditional tolerance for your viewpoints of which you shall never achieve. Give a little on this minute aspect of your lives instead of acting like spoiled brats who always have to have their way and society will smile upon you instead of desiring the delivery of backlash.

Of all the businesses available of what percentage represent religious people? Say for the sake of argument that it’s 3%, if that, just like you in the greater societal scheme of things. Perhaps by exercising tolerance and respect for another lifestyle, one that you personally may feel repugnant, you might gain additional tolerance and respect for yours lest society remind you that you live in a predominantly heterosexual world.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:51 PM

38,659 posts, read 26,474,344 times
Quote:
Yep, the ultimate goal of gay people is to ban religious people from military service, to ban religious people from being able to get married, to criminalize sex between religious people, to remove religious people's protections from discrimination in housing, employment, and public accommodation......

No, it's not "religious people" and it's not all those things you listed.

It's just those "religious people" that object to what the homosexual thought police are doing and dare to speak against it.

Apparently we are still free to be silent.

"A 19-year veteran of the Air Force said he was relieved of his duties after he disagreed with his openly gay commander when she wanted to severely punish an instructor who had expressed religious objections to homosexuality."

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...-marriage.html

Old 10-09-2014, 11:08 PM

38,659 posts, read 26,474,344 times
Quote:
Why is it so GD hard for these religious business owners to follow the laws of operating a business?
Why should they get special exemption from the laws that every business has to follow?

Because we have a Constitution that protects religious freedom even if some people don't like it.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:50 AM

5,673 posts, read 5,110,657 times
Quote:
The Muslin restaurant doesn't sell pork. The tee shirt printing company prints custom tee shirts. Not a valid comparison.
No, it's a very valid comparison. if t-shirts are t-shirts, then food is food. If the Muslim kabob chef can refuse me a ham sandwich saying he doesn't make "that kind of food", then the t-shirt printer can equally refuse by saying he doesn't print "that kind of t-shirt".

If the government can mandate that I, as a business owner, must provide products I don't normally make (gay wedding cakes, gay t-shirts, etc.) to an audience I don't want to do business with, then would it not be right that they mandate that that audience (all gays everywhere looking to buy a gay wedding cake or gay t-shirts) must purchase from me that I may benefit from the forced transaction as a seller as much as they benefit as buyers?

Old 10-10-2014, 04:49 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,875,392 times
Quote:
Hahaha.

Gays simply want equal treatment under EXISTING laws.

Have you been complaining about the existence of civil marriage law throughout your life, or do you only complain when gay people want equal access to that law?

Have you been complaining for the last 50 or 60 years about laws that make discrimination against people on the basis of religion unlawful, or did you only start complaining when people asked for the same protection on the basis of sexual orientation?

BULL CRAP! Their 'ULTIMATE' goal is NAMBLA so they can molest our sons!

The North American Man/Boy Love Association (NAMBLA) is a pedophile and pederasty advocacy organization in the United States. It works to abolish age of consent laws criminalizing adult sexual involvement with minors,[1][2] and campaigns for the release of all men who have been jailed for sexual contacts with minors that did not involve coercion.

North American Man/Boy Love Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Homosexuality is abnormal,a perversion,and it is totally LUDICROUS that any imbecile on the supreme court ever allowed them to ever have any complaint heard in a court of law that they aren't being allowed to PRETEND that they are normal and should have all the same rights and benefits as NORMAL HETEROSEXUAL couples! The only reason any judge would support these****k* is because they have the same sick tendencies!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 10-10-2014 at 05:11 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,534,714 times
Quote:
The Muslin restaurant doesn't sell pork. The tee shirt printing company prints custom tee shirts. Not a valid comparison.
'The Muslim restaurant that doesn't sell pork' analogy is usually wrong, but in This case it's right.

The restaurant designs its menu, chooses what to offer and not offer, does not offer pork to anyone.

The t-shirt business does the same thing. It decides what to offer and chooses not to offer 'gay pride' shirts regardless of the customer's sexual orientation, religion, nationality, etc. The only real difference is a t-shirt business can't possibly list every possible shirt it will make [a menu].

Old 10-10-2014, 06:27 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,875,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
No, it's a very valid comparison. if t-shirts are t-shirts, then food is food. If the Muslim kabob chef can refuse me a ham sandwich saying he doesn't make "that kind of food", then the t-shirt printer can equally refuse by saying he doesn't print "that kind of t-shirt".

If the government can mandate that I, as a business owner, must provide products I don't normally make (gay wedding cakes, gay t-shirts, etc.) to an audience I don't want to do business with, then would it not be right that they mandate that that audience (all gays everywhere looking to buy a gay wedding cake or gay t-shirts) must purchase from me that I may benefit from the forced transaction as a seller as much as they benefit as buyers?
EXCELLENT point!

Old 10-10-2014, 07:03 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,534,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Maybe the distinctions are too subtle for the hard-core of both sides to understand.

A bakery offers wedding cakes. By refusing to sell a cake to a same sex couple, the bakery violates the law in some states because of its refusal to sell an item to a gay couple. A hotel offers space for receptions. Same situation as the bakery.

A bakery that does not make wedding cakes for anyone or a hotel that doesn't host receptions violates no law by refusing to create those services for gay people. The t-shirt company Should be in this category. Unfortunately, a terrible decision says otherwise.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:43 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,523,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Because we have a Constitution that protects religious freedom even if some people don't like it.
Your freedom of religion is also anothers freedom from oppression because of your religion. Your freedom of religion does not give one the right to discriminate. That is the bottom line, like it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies