Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 05:04 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,338 times

Advertisements

I wish that these people would stop pretending that they're hateful because they're religious.
They're hateful because they're ignorant, period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 05:11 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
I wish that these people would stop pretending that they're hateful because they're religious.
They're hateful because they're ignorant, period.
Hmm, none of the homos I know are religious? They are just hateful because they want to cram acceptance of their make-believe-pretend world down the rest of society's throat. Sure do agree with you on the IGNORANT part!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hmm, none of the homos I know are religious? They are just hateful because they want to cram acceptance of their make-believe-pretend world down the rest of society's throat. Sure do agree with you on the IGNORANT part!
Do-ho-ho-ho.

Yes, asking for the same respect automatically given to every other person who doesn't hurt others is so hateful!

And I'm pretty sure that you don't even know what ignorant means.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:20 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so as a business owner open to the public do you think you should have the right to refuse service to blacks, jews or seniors as well as gays?
Absolutely, but see how long they stay in business in this day and age.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
They are NOT denying to do business with gays. They're saying they want the right to refuse what they're willing to put on a shirt. Why should they not have that right?
Many things can be refused due to religious beliefs, why not this? What about the person who actually prints on the shirt, can he/she refuse?

Old 10-12-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you believe the courts should be able to force a business owned by a black family to print shirts for the local KKK that say, "Black people are not human and should have no rights."?

You actually believe the government should force that action?
You know, this is good point, I doubt very much would be said if a black family refused business to the KKK, and it would prove how unequally laws are enforced in this country.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:45 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
Well, religion is a protected class. So this is a case where, for now, one protected class (sexual orientation) is given preference over another protected class (religious belief), at least when it comes to what I guess could be call the public realm (offering goods and service to the public).
From my understanding, it doesn't work quite like that. In this case, the business is a licenced public accommodation and it is obligated to operate under the State's anti-discrimination legislation. If the business provides a service to the public but refuses to provide the same service to a customer purely on the basis of that customer's religion, race, gender etc (and in this case sexual orientation) then it is discriminating against that customer. For example, a similar business could not legally refuse to provide a service to a Christian customer that they regularly provide to other customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
However, here is a good example of religious discrimination by a business. A local eatery in my city serves beef and pork items. One Muslim customer has demanded that when he arrives, the eatery should have to clean any stove/oven/etc. before serving him because they may have been used to touch pork products. So the business isn't being asked to give up any protected "class," but they are being asked to bow down to the protected class of a customer. Never made the media or anything and of course the business owner told the guy that it wasn't ever going to happen (have to turn off oven, wait for it to cool, clean it, warm it back up, etc.).
It would only be discrimination if the owner normally cleaned his stove after cooking pork for all his customers but refused to do it for the Muslim. In this case you described, the owner could tell the Muslim customer to shove off as he didn't normally provide that service for all his customers, so he wasn't discriminating against the Muslim customer. They weren't being asked to bow down to the 'protected class' of the customer - they were being asked to conform to that customer's actual religious beliefs and provide a special different service. The owner is not obligated to do that.

Basically, a public accommodation business has to provide the same services to all it's customers- not special services that it doesn't normally provide.

I can understand a business like the t-shirt company not wanting to print t-shirts with a message they found offensive- and I would agree with that. But in this case, I understand the owner refused the order as soon as he found out who the customers were -before he even knew what the message/image was.

I wonder what would have happened if the customers had ordered 500 T-shirts with the message "Jesus Loves Me" on them and accepted the order. Then the owner found out the customers were gay Christians. I'm betting he would refuse the order.

Last edited by Ceist; 10-12-2014 at 06:00 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 05:48 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
Do-ho-ho-ho.

Yes, asking for the same respect automatically given to every other person who doesn't hurt others is so hateful!

And I'm pretty sure that you don't even know what ignorant means.
Every other person is not acting like an idiot and trying to make society as a whole believe that asinine nonsense and abnormality is.... normal!!!!!

And the worst part is that they are trying to legislate/force acceptance of of an abnormal perversion onto society WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT!

And that IS HURTING THOSE WHO WANT NO PART OF THAT DISGUSTING PERVERSION!!!!!!

No way in hell can 'THINKING' people respect WEIRDOS like that!

Not to even mention the whole disgusting EWWWW factor!

No one is ENTITLED to automatic respect.... one must EARN respect,didn't anyone ever
tell you that?

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 10-12-2014 at 06:00 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Many things can be refused due to religious beliefs, why not this? What about the person who actually prints on the shirt, can he/she refuse?
If freedom of religion is such a big deal, then why is gay marriage even an issue? Religious leaders do them, they should be recognized.

This isn't about freedom, it's about homophobia.

Old 10-12-2014, 06:05 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You know, this is good point, I doubt very much would be said if a black family refused business to the KKK, and it would prove how unequally laws are enforced in this country.
Oy vey. How many times do people have to explain what 'protected class' means on these threads?

The KKK is not a group that has a protected class. Of course the black family could refuse to provide that service without breaking any anti-discrimination laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies