Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 10:17 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,607,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Hands On Originals discriminated against gay organization, hearing officer rules | Business | Kentucky.com

Unreal. Freedoms continue to go away. They're not refusing to do business with anyone. They're refusing, as they should have the right to, to what product they will produce. If someone said they wanted shirts with pictures of women in a thong or shirts with curse words, no one would bat an eye.

This judge can take his classes and shove em. Dirt bag.
More evidence of liberal intolerance. A company should have the right to produce whatever product they want. Customers are not required to buy from them if they want something else. Why do liberals think they need to force everyone else to do things their way? It's not like there's only one custom t-shirt company out there. If one doesn't want your money, go to his competition.

You are correct. If someone refused to make shirts with naked women on them or curse words, they'd be given a pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 11:41 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,359,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Look, the same-sex marriage question has effectively nothing to do with religion. Religion might be a part of the question, but religion is not the issue here. I'm not religious, but I have reservations about homosexuality, because I think it is a lifestyle which will lead to greater objective "immorality".

Basically, in a perfect world there wouldn't be homosexuality. And as a general rule, while people might tolerate homosexuality. Almost no one wants a homosexual living with them. No one wants two guys cuddling on their couch. If we imagine society like a big family, no one wants their family members to be gay. There might be a few people who claim to be "indifferent". But in reality, a woman(whether she will say it out loud or not) wants her children to be heterosexual. And if she isn't delusional from political correctness nonsense, she wants to see her children have children.
Speak for yourself. I would have no problem if my son was gay, and I have virtually no desire for grandchildren.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:00 PM

18,437 posts, read 19,086,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Nobody is forcing religion upon anyone who wears a gay pride t-shirt. I'll guess that many who wear those shirts already follow one religion or another, or none.

You and the rulers in this case can't see the obvious difference between refusing service based on a characteristic of the customer vs. refusing based on the objections to, never offering, the requested item.

freedom from religion is not being forced by one party or another to accept or convert to said religion.
we are not secular, so keep it out of your retail business establishments.

the "objection" in this case is about a religious objection to "gay", no matter how you look at it.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:44 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,197,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Yeah! The next time I go int an Italian restaurant, I am going to demand an egg roll.
LOL, silly. Italian restaurants don't make egg rolls. Unless they are one of those fusion restaurants that were so popular several years ago. Italian/Chinese - your eggroll has cheese and sauce. Yuck!!! So, if they did make this fusion egg roll and someone in a wheel chair ordered one and they refused to sell it because disabled people are an affront to their religion then this would be the same thing as the topic of this discussion.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
nice tap dance, they refused service to "print a tshirt" that had gay pride on it for the gay community, because it went against their christian beliefs. in america we also have freedom from religion. as stated before don't want to service all the public stay out of retail.
They didn't refuse service. They refused to make a particular product. I'm sure they would have sold them any of the other t-shirts they make.

A business should not be forced to make things they are opposed to making for whatever reason they're opposed to it. And what is the issue here? Is this the only t-shirt shop in a 100 mile radius or something? Seriously? Order online from someone else. Pay them back by not giving them your money.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
LOL, silly. Italian restaurants don't make egg rolls. Unless they are one of those fusion restaurants that were so popular several years ago. Italian/Chinese - your eggroll has cheese and sauce. Yuck!!! So, if they did make this fusion egg roll and someone in a wheel chair ordered one and they refused to sell it because disabled people are an affront to their religion then this would be the same thing as the topic of this discussion.
Bad analogy. You'd have to have a person in a wheel chair asking for a specially made egg roll in the shape of a wheel chair and then claiming bias when the restaurant won't do it. If a restaurant makes egg rolls in the shape of cars, trees and bicycles but not wheel chairs that should be their choice.

I guess I should sue because my daughter's name never shows up on those key chains with names on them and license plates with names on them. I mean shouldn't they make one with her name too? Doesn't she count? If I want one I'd have to special order it from a company willing to make it because she has a name with an unusual spelling (actually not unusual just an older version of the spelling that fits with our heritage). I do not run around crying that the company that makes the key chains needs to make one for my daughter. If I want one, I find a company that custom makes them and is willing to make one with her name. If someone told me they would not make it because they think I spelled her name wrong, I'd take my business elsewhere not go to court.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,359,194 times
Quote:
Exactly. That poster is comparing apples to a Toyota dealership.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:39 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,528,903 times
Quote:
The Italian restaurant does not make egg rolls and the t-shirt company does not make gay pride shirts. Cases closed.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:07 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,197,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The Italian restaurant does not make egg rolls and the t-shirt company does not make gay pride shirts. Cases closed.
You're not understanding. Italian restaurants don't make egg rolls but they have a set menu. The tee-shirt company does not have a set menu. I'm sorry you don't understand. Not my problem.

Old 10-11-2014, 04:29 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,125,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so as a business owner open to the public do you think you should have the right to refuse service to blacks, jews or seniors as well as gays?
Your question and your logic are flawed. The business did not refuse service to gays, they refused to produce a specific article that the customer wanted. Should they be forced to produce swastika shirts for the local Skinheads for Purety gang? If you ran a bakery, open to the public, food made to order, and a client wanted muffins with horse dung stuffing, would you bake it? Should the authorities demand that you bake it because you are a public concern?

Just because a client orders a product that does not mean a manufacturer must produce it. Lamborghini won't put a 12 cylinder engine from their Aventador into one of their tractors for me. Should I sue because they won't make or sell what I want, even though they can?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies