Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 05:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Except they don't give to charity by a 100-1 ratio. What utter nonsense. I could believe they give more....but are churchs REALLY charitable? Lets face it a massive amount of that "donated money" actually goes to creating better environments for your Sundays. Not for "charity"
Exactly! Look where the bulk of Romney's charitable donations went. Right back into the Mormon church coffers for new, multi-million, marble baptismal fonts, etc.
Building bigger and better temples. Not charity.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 10-13-2014 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 05:53 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Exactly! Look where the bulk of Romney's charitable donations went. Right back into the Mormon church coffers for new, multi-million, marble baptismal fonts, etc.
Actually thats only partially true, he also had church help in hiding a bunch of his income from taxes. (no i am not joking)

Romney Avoids Taxes via Loophole Cutting Mormon Donations - Bloomberg

But that's my point, theres charity, and then theres "things we call charity but aren't".

Old 10-13-2014, 06:20 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Wow, you are really on one, aren't you? You clearly have no idea how immense the LDS Church's worldwide humanitarian efforts are.

Here, from the Washington Times, is a small sampling of what the contributions of LDS people have accomplished recently...

•The World Health Organization estimates that 884 million people worldwide don’t have access to clean water. This is a huge problem in Africa, not only because of water-borne diseases but because kids who spend hours each day walking to and from the nearest well to fill old gasoline cans with water cannot attend school. According to church records, in the past seven years, more than four million Africans in 17 countries have gained access to clean drinking water through the LDS Church's humanitarian efforts to sink or rehabilitate boreholes.

•More than 34,000 physically handicapped African kids now have wheelchairs through the same Church-sponsored humanitarian program. To see a legless child whose knuckles have become calloused through walking on his hands lifted into a wheelchair may be the best way to fully understand the liberation this brings.

•Millions of children, meanwhile, have now been vaccinated against killer diseases like measles as the Church has sponsored or assisted with projects in 22 African countries.

•More than 126,000 Africans have had their sight restored or improved through the Church's partnership with African eye care professionals in providing training, equipment and supplies.

•Another 52,000 Africans have been trained to help newborns who otherwise would never take a first breath. Training in neonatal resuscitation has also been a big project for the Church in Afraica.

For a religion with a mere 15 million members worldwide, we do significantly more than our fair share in taking care of the world's poor. All of the money in the Church's humanitarian fund comes from people like me (and, most likely, Mitt Romney). So what if our temples are also beautiful?

Old 10-13-2014, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Wow, you are really on one, aren't you? You clearly have no idea how immense the LDS Church's worldwide humanitarian efforts are.

Here, from the Washington Times, is a small sampling of what the contributions of LDS people have accomplished recently...
-snip- (see post for details)

Quote:
For a religion with a mere 15 million members worldwide, we do significantly more than our fair share in taking care of the world's poor. All of the money in the Church's humanitarian fund comes from people like me (and, most likely, Mitt Romney). So what if our temples are also beautiful?

From 1985 - 2009, $327.6 million in cash and $884.6 million in commodities of aid was given throughout 178 countries.

Call it 1.4 billion over a 24 year period. (source-wikipedia)

To put that in perspective the LDS church had 7 billion in income.....last year. (source-various news agencies)

Tell me more about how awesome and giving your church is.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Poverty is broken thru generations providing path for their children by hard work and sacrafice. Not some government program that pays to not progress.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Poverty is broken thru generations providing path for their children by hard work and sacrafice. Not some government program that pays to not progress.
Poverty is broken through opportunity.

When my father went to college he could pay for it with his income, and come out debt free, and get a truly mazing job.

Today my children go to college, work full time, and have to get loans. when they graduate they will struggle to find a decent job....and it will pay less then my fathers or mine.

But sure, lets blame it on people failing while ignoring the entire reality of everything else.

Old 10-13-2014, 07:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Poverty is broken through opportunity.

When my father went to college he could pay for it with his income, and come out debt free, and get a truly mazing job.

Today my children go to college, work full time, and have to get loans. when they graduate they will struggle to find a decent job....and it will pay less then my fathers or mine.

But sure, lets blame it on people failing while ignoring the entire reality of everything else.
That's because the government got involved in the name of helping the poor. Easy money = increased prices. The same thing happened with housing. Easy money = increased demand = rising prices.

The people who could once afford it no longer can... causing even more poor.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:20 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
To put that in perspective the LDS church had 7 billion in income.....last year. (source-various news agencies)
Who are all just guessing at the amount.

Furthermore, even if that figure was accurate, quoting it isn't putting anything into perspective at all. You're just trying to say that we're a wealthy church. Maybe we are, maybe we aren't. Church buildings cost money to build and maintain, and we complete a new one somewhere in the world roughly ever 16 hours. They are paid for, up front, by the members of the Church, and there is never any debt incurred in building them. I'm sorry if you don't like how we spend our money, but the fact remains, you cannot show me a single other Christian denomination that does more per capita for the world's poor than we do.

Quote:
Tell me more about how awesome and giving your church is.
Okay, but only because I can tell that you really, really want to know.

Humanitarian Aid and Welfare Services Basics: How Donations and Resources Are Used

Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Who are all just guessing at the amount.

Furthermore, even if that figure was accurate, quoting it isn't putting anything into perspective at all. You're just trying to say that we're a wealthy church. Maybe we are, maybe we aren't. Church buildings cost money to build and maintain, and we complete a new one somewhere in the world roughly ever 16 hours. They are paid for, up front, by the members of the Church, and there is never any debt incurred in building them. I'm sorry if you don't like how we spend our money, but the fact remains, you cannot show me a single other Christian denomination that does more per capita for the world's poor than we do.

Okay, but only because I can tell that you really, really want to know.

Humanitarian Aid and Welfare Services Basics: How Donations and Resources Are Used
Every 16 hours? Thanks for proving my point.
Are you planning to take over the world?

Old 10-13-2014, 10:38 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Does your Catholicism teach you hatred of Christians? Why the hatred of the Duggers?
I have no hate towards anyone. The duggars chose to use their multiple children for a tv show. Does your Catholicism teach you hatred or are you accepting of gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies