Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you send a family member to fight ISIS?
YES, we all have to do our part to fight terror 6 10.53%
YES, I would like to fight them myself 9 15.79%
NO, let someone else do the fighting 42 73.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:12 AM

131 posts, read 182,837 times

Advertisements

Nearly everyone is saying that the air campaign against ISIS is not working and America needs to take the lead and send in ground troops.

Sounds good in theory and they are likely going to send in ground troops once Bagdad Airport is overtaken by ISIS in a few weeks. But it is easy to say we should send in ground troops when it is someone else doing the fighting. How about if it was your son or your brother? Or maybe you?

Please reply to my poll.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:38 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
You need to add a second NO option, along the lines of "No, I wouldn't fight myself nor would I send anyone to fight to enforce map lines invented by British cartographers in 1919, because doing so is retarded."

Add that option, then I'll answer your poll.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:42 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
I voted no, only because my son has already done three tours in the in combat, as has have his father and his grandfather before him. Someone else's turn.
My question is if they begin hitting us here in the US would you then be willing to do what it takes to destroy them there or will you simply whine that the government is not doing enough?

Old 10-14-2014, 11:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,373,195 times
The question that should be asked is to ask the parents who lost children fighting in the Iraq/Afghanistan, Vietnam & Korea wars, if their sacrifice was worth it in the end.

Or.. pretend you can go back in time, knowing what we now know and ask people if they would send their sons or daughters to fight in any of those wars.

I suppose the people who say yes, would also be willing to send their children to fight isis.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:48 AM

13,979 posts, read 5,638,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
The question that should be asked is to ask the parents who lost children fighting in the Iraq/Afghanistan, Vietnam & Korea wars, if their sacrifice was worth it in the end.

Or.. pretend you can go back in time, knowing what we now know and ask people if they would send their sons or daughters to fight in any of those wars.

I suppose the people who say yes, would also be willing to send their children to fight isis.
Given that every war since WW II is essentially about preserving some sort of economic stability and also maintaining borders drawn by people nowhere in any way associated with the countries they decided the borders for....I think most people would struggle with agreeing on dying for such banal and meaningless causes.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:50 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,954,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post

You seem to think people send their sons and daughters off to join the military, sorry that is not how it works they Joined the military and as such do as they are told.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:52 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Would you send your son to fight ISIS? (Ground Troops Needed)

Don't have a son, but no, I wouldn't *send* him. Whether or not to go would be *his* decision, not mine.

Same thing would apply for my daughter, by the way.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:53 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,235,629 times
No I would not. The rest of the world needs to step up and start shouldering their share of the burden. If ISIS attacked the USA and they needed experienced combat troops I would take my son's place. I may be 51, but I can still hold my own with a rifle or side arm, I'm in great shape and I have no desire to see my son's life wasted in the Middle east due to weak kneed civilian leadership who are afraid to let our troops take the gloves off in a fight.
If we go to war it should be an all or nothing endeavor, anything less just wastes the lives of our soldiers. Sorry but as far as I am concerned 10,000 gallons of foreign blood can not equal 1 drop of my son's blood or any other American soldier's blood.
If the world wants ISIS stopped then the world needs to step up to the plate and send soldiers to fight. We are not the world's police force.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:58 AM

20,476 posts, read 12,398,694 times
stupidity. utter stupidity.

who sends their son to fight anything?

good grief.

As a father, if my son, as an adult, decides on his own to stand up and be counted, then I will hug him, pray for him, hold my breath until he returns.

I will not deny him the right to make the decisions a man makes. Certainly I will not deny him the right to decide on something that serious, considering I made that decisison to stand up myself.

but thanks for asking a question that makes me want to spit some beachnut in your eyeball.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:10 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,412,550 times
Well, I am a military veteran and have been to the sand box both as a servicemember and as a contractor. I have two out of three of my sons in the Navy (one a Submariner and another in Special Forces). I answered yes. If we could get away with keeping to ourselves (and other nations would leave us be), then I would be all for that. But - for any number of good/bad reasons - we are part of the world. The world's problems are everyone's problems (again, whether for good or bad - it is what it is). It shouldn't be USA's job alone to do this, but the whole world as one. They (ISIS) will not be content to keep to themselves (and they have made that clear), so now is the time to engage them - not when they have established their Caliphate. Preferably, the Jordanians, Saudi's, and Turks will do this themselves as they have far more to lose than anyone else if ISIS succeeds. But, if they don't have the balls, then the rest of the world (including the Russians & Chinese) need to end their venture of insanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies