Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you send a family member to fight ISIS?
YES, we all have to do our part to fight terror 6 10.53%
YES, I would like to fight them myself 9 15.79%
NO, let someone else do the fighting 42 73.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:01 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,821,511 times

Advertisements

These people have been fighting each other since Jesus was a little boy. Why interrupt them now? Anything that we do won't stop that.

As far as them coming here they would need resources far, far larger that was required at Normandy in WW2. They simply don't have those kind of resources. Even the Chinese don't.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:09 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,868,200 times
This Admin has repeatedly said ground troops would be needed to defeat ISIS...... just not ours.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:11 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,816,352 times
The real question is: How many Americans are willing to put their own skin in the game?

I've said myself in these threads that bombing alone won't work and that you haven't won a war until you can stand a 19-year-old with a rifle on the ground unopposed.

The Marine and Army generals agree...but they also caution that the war will last at least 30 years. Looking at the failing "Ataturk experiment" in Turkey, I'd say it will last more than a century.

The Chinese aren't going to be content buying "war bonds" that long, so are you willing to pay a special huge tax just to support the war? Are you willing to ration gasoline when the Saudis cut off the oil (anyone here remember the Arab Oil embargo? Gas stations running dry, even and odd gas purchasing?)

So are you willing to put America's fortune in the pot--as well as America's children--for the next 30 to 100+ years?

It's thirty to 100+ years of war we're talking about, and btw, it will not prevent terrorism in the US. The terrorists that might attack within the US are a completely different set of fighters. Those are being homegrown.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:13 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,816,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the air campaign is not working because we are not doing what is needed to be done. go in with 20 cells of B-52 bombers and give those pukes a big dose of carpet bombing, then some B-1 and B-2 precision bombing and finish it off with 3 carriers of full out attack aircraft.

then see how isis fares.
You may be too young to have paid attention to Vietnam, but we've tried all that before.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You seem to think people send their sons and daughters off to join the military, sorry that is not how it works they Joined the military and as such do as they are told.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
stupidity. utter stupidity.

who sends their son to fight anything?

good grief.

As a father, if my son, as an adult, decides on his own to stand up and be counted, then I will hug him, pray for him, hold my breath until he returns.

I will not deny him the right to make the decisions a man makes. Certainly I will not deny him the right to decide on something that serious, considering I made that decisison to stand up myself.

but thanks for asking a question that makes me want to spit some beachnut in your eyeball.
As an Army mom, I feel exactly the same.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:22 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,719,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
It's not what I think, it's just how the question was phrased.
I took it to mean, would Mom and Dad be OK with their sons or daughters choosing to go fight
My son is a grown man. He was a grown man when he enlisted (of his own volition, I might add) and now, almost twenty years later, there isn't a whole lot I can say to influence the choices he makes now.
That is between him, his CO and the Commander-in-Chief.

I have never been happy about the fact that he has served during a time of ill-defined missions and what I consider to be wars of choice, but, I am, and always will be, proud that he chose to serve.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:36 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Not under this POS Commander in Chief.

As if I had a choice?

Adult kids are gonna do what they want.

I can try to influence and hope they have learned their lessons well.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:42 AM

45,241 posts, read 26,477,444 times
There is nothing to be proud of in invading other countries and killing the inhabitants for the gain of the federal government (not to be confused with the American people).
More parents should instill this value into their children at an early age.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There is nothing to be proud of in invading other countries and killing the inhabitants for the gain of the federal government (not to be confused with the American people).
More parents should instill this value into their children at an early age.
Like it or not, admit it or not, military is HERE to stay, Do you want to move to a country without military? I won't. Any parents should be proud at their children's decision of joining the military because like it or not, admit it or not, believe it or not, we (United States of America) need military.

The current debate about war should address not only whether we go to war but also why: If and when we invade, we should do so not because we deem it justifiable but because we can show that it is just.

Maybe parents should teach their kids at an early age to elect the right politicians.

They can always bring back the draft even if NO one joins the military.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:30 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,640,021 times
We shouldn't be sending any of our blood or treasury over there.

If they were directly involved in an attack on the US, that would be another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.