Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you send a family member to fight ISIS?
YES, we all have to do our part to fight terror 6 10.53%
YES, I would like to fight them myself 9 15.79%
NO, let someone else do the fighting 42 73.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:53 PM

131 posts, read 183,021 times

Advertisements

Sending your adult son or brother was just a figure of speech.

It was meant to be a question if you supported the fight against ISIS on the ground by American troops so strongly that you would support the idea of immediate family going over there to fight.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:57 PM

22,679 posts, read 24,669,137 times
Well, the military is all-volunteer.

Anybody being SENT over there signed-up to be part of the World's largest babysitting service.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:01 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,840 times
If it were truly my son's ambition to fight ISIS, I would suggest that he join the peshmerga, as at least one American has already done. I would never condone one of my sons joining the imperial U.S. armed forces.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:04 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,499,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
They (ISIS) will not be content to keep to themselves (and they have made that clear), so now is the time to engage them - not when they have established their Caliphate. Preferably, the Jordanians, Saudi's, and Turks will do this themselves as they have far more to lose than anyone else if ISIS succeeds. But, if they don't have the balls, then the rest of the world (including the Russians & Chinese) need to end their venture of insanity.
You know, when Osama bin Laden was still breathing, a few perceptive people pointed out that the more money we poured into Pakistan to catch him, the less incentive they had to actually do it...but they were mostly ignored.

The only thing that will make the Turks, Saudis, et al. fight as if their necks are on the line is for their necks literally to be on the line.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,045,108 times
I wouldn't recommend my children, relatives, friends, neighbors, aquiantances or even the stranger that I just met at my local Starbucks to EVER fight in any conflict that's supposedly suppose to be helping Muslims or blacks, mostly because helping either of those two groups is UTTERLY USELESS.

No matter how hard you try and no matter how much time, energy and resources you put into it, you will NEVER help either of these groups enough that they could ever stand on their own well enough that they could work together and build a peaceful, prosperous country for themselves. Once you start helping them, you will stay there FOREVER helping them and rarely does all that effort translate into real longterm improvement.

I'd rather we simply walk away and let them decide on their own if they want to sink or swim. Whether they want to continue the cycle of violence and conflict or whether they want to live in peace. We have enough of our own problems to worry about and I think its time that we spend more effort on ourselves rather than wasting resouces and energy on helping the unhelpable.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:07 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,784,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Would you send your son to fight ISIS? (Ground Troops Needed)
You left off a very important option. I would vote "NO, and I don't want any other Americans to go either".

Old 10-14-2014, 09:39 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,224,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Nearly everyone is saying that the air campaign against ISIS is not working and America needs to take the lead and send in ground troops.

Sounds good in theory and they are likely going to send in ground troops once Bagdad Airport is overtaken by ISIS in a few weeks. But it is easy to say we should send in ground troops when it is someone else doing the fighting. How about if it was your son or your brother? Or maybe you?

Please reply to my poll.

the air campaign is not working because we are not doing what is needed to be done. go in with 20 cells of B-52 bombers and give those pukes a big dose of carpet bombing, then some B-1 and B-2 precision bombing and finish it off with 3 carriers of full out attack aircraft.

then see how isis fares.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:50 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,750,543 times
let the A=rabs fight for their own land and oil..

Old 10-15-2014, 05:30 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,324,207 times
No.. I would fight to invade and annex mexico into the US, but not for middle eastern stuff.. we meddle too much over there for the sake of oil/israel.

Cultural.change takes time and cannot really be forced.. it would be like Europe telling us back in 1900 that we must let blacks and women vote or they would go to war with us... hard as it may be to understand people grow up used to whatever culture they are in and any change is met with resistance... especially when forced on people.

Even among americans there are many who think our culture is "sinful" and long for.the "good old days" when people were polite and had more family values... imagine what arabs must think. (i personally do not share this nostalgia for the past)

Old 10-15-2014, 05:44 AM

553 posts, read 597,122 times
Need to get a couple of things straight:

1) We WILL fight them whether we want to or not because they have promised to fight us. They take their promises pretty seriously over in that part of the world: Nearly 3/4 of a century ago they promised to drive Israel into the sea--and you'll have to admit that for nearly 3/4 of a century they've been doing their level best to accomplish just that.

2) A lot of the reluctance to serve in the Armed Forces today has to do with a lack of confidance in today's Comander-in-Chief who has given every reason to believe he will drop our boys in a hot zone and then abandon them. How willing would you be to serve under some one who's not going to have your six? (12 o'clock is straight ahead; 6 o'clock is behind you.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies