Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you send a family member to fight ISIS?
YES, we all have to do our part to fight terror 6 10.53%
YES, I would like to fight them myself 9 15.79%
NO, let someone else do the fighting 42 73.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,440,117 times

Advertisements

There's an app for that...

Old 10-15-2014, 11:09 PM

26,704 posts, read 41,848,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We are all damn lucky the "greatest generation" didn't have the attitudes of the majority in this OP's poll.

Or maybe some of you would rather be speaking German right now
Not even close to being a comparable situation.

I'm a 26 year old guy who decided against joining the military coming outta HS and the useless wars in Iraq and now this nonsense were a huge part in my decision. I'm all for risking my life to protect people in the US directly but I have a problem with dying just to help make US Oil companies or some foreign country who can't handle their own richer.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:40 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,507,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We are all damn lucky the "greatest generation" didn't have the attitudes of the majority in this OP's poll.

Or maybe some of you would rather be speaking German right now
Let's start out with the oldest, most inapt, most banal cliche we can think of, and strangle it to death with our bare hands.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:05 AM

39,341 posts, read 27,744,099 times
well, part of Oaths of Enlistment and Oaths of Office is
"against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Is Isis foreign or domestic enemy? Let's figure that out first.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:30 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,229 times
I simply say no. I don't even know why the part about, let someone else do the fighting,
is in there. It's not our business. Period.

Now, if religious folks in this country want to give safe haven to those being
persecuted in those countries, go for it.

But involved in civil wars. No.

Old 10-16-2014, 01:56 AM

10,264 posts, read 15,993,873 times
I don't believe for a moment that air power isn't enough, its how much air power Obama is willing to use. In Desert Storm, air power did most of the work in defeating Saddam's army and the ground war was mostly just mopping up. The vast majority of Iraqi units destroyed during the war were bombarded from the air.

We can easily break the siege of Kobani with airstrikes if we launched hundreds instead of just a dozen strikes a day. We should be carpet bombing the ISIS front lines and annihilating them from the air. "degrade and ultimately destroy" also makes no sense, it should be annihilating them in a matter of days.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:29 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,592,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No I would not. The rest of the world needs to step up and start shouldering their share of the burden. If ISIS attacked the USA and they needed experienced combat troops I would take my son's place. I may be 51, but I can still hold my own with a rifle or side arm, I'm in great shape and I have no desire to see my son's life wasted in the Middle east due to weak kneed civilian leadership who are afraid to let our troops take the gloves off in a fight.
If we go to war it should be an all or nothing endeavor, anything less just wastes the lives of our soldiers. Sorry but as far as I am concerned 10,000 gallons of foreign blood can not equal 1 drop of my son's blood or any other American soldier's blood.
If the world wants ISIS stopped then the world needs to step up to the plate and send soldiers to fight. We are not the world's police force.
The rest of the world should solve a problem the United States created by destabilizing the Middle East and propping up ISIS with her friends in Qatar and Saudi Arabia?

LOL.

The United States are officially the parasite of this world.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:04 AM

28,715 posts, read 18,903,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't believe for a moment that air power isn't enough, its how much air power Obama is willing to use. In Desert Storm, air power did most of the work in defeating Saddam's army and the ground war was mostly just mopping up. The vast majority of Iraqi units destroyed during the war were bombarded from the air.
Air strikes did not dislodge the Iraqis from Kuwait. If you'll notice, the "just mopping up" as you put it was still necessary--and that "just mopping up" was done by a full 75% of the US Marine Corps (and a good part of the US Army).

Quote:
We can easily break the siege of Kobani with airstrikes if we launched hundreds instead of just a dozen strikes a day. We should be carpet bombing the ISIS front lines and annihilating them from the air. "degrade and ultimately destroy" also makes no sense, it should be annihilating them in a matter of days.
We launched a 1,000 sorties a day in the Gulf War, and it still took 75% of the US Marine Corps (and a good part of the US Army) for that "just mopping up."

Old 10-16-2014, 06:07 AM

45,304 posts, read 26,570,887 times
I think the bigger question should be, would you recommend a family member join the military?
Seeing what a global wrecking crew it has become, combined with the deaths, maiming and sucides, how could any sane moral person justify such a career choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies