Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:06 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,370,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If destroying America qualifies as being the "most successful president" than I agree.

Seriously though, America has gotten worse since he became president. He'll probably go down as one of the worst presidents of all time. It's really a shame because we probably won't see another Black president for a very long time due to his incompetency as a president.
We might not see another black president for a long time simply because there are far more white politicians. I doubt being black will hurt, most of the country isn't as racist as liberals are, certainly not as racist as they claim everyone else is.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Barack Obama "has emerged as one of the most consequential and, yes, successful presidents in American history."

Don't they know you go to hell for lying??
Didn't you note that he says consequential? The consequence of Obamas reign is excelling the failing of the US, diminishing of citizens rights, federal law enforcement not carrying out the rule of laws and the increase of partisanship in politics by not working with congress.

Remember, being of consequence does not mean being positive or for the general good of the population.

Old 10-17-2014, 09:55 AM

1,549 posts, read 1,063,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In an article that is bound to please some, baffle others, and infuriate many here, Nobel Prize winning economist and Professor of Economics at Princeton University, Paul Krugman, not always a fan of Barack Obama, has lobbed a bombshell into the political arena with his analysis of the effects of the President's administration so far.

In an extensive article in Rolling Stone Magazine this week, Krugman makes the case that despite the unfavorable public opinion polls, Barack Obama "has emerged as one of the most consequential and, yes, successful presidents in American history."

By doing what, breaking every Constitutional law?

And Krugman isn't exactly a credible authority on economics. He's just another hack.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:16 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
GOP Laissez-Faire policies created the Depression of 2008-2009 (my Term). Bush and his policies are well outlined in many books, going back to then Gov. Bush and the failure of Enron. Texas still has those issues today with a lack of oversite on business.

The GOP policy of dont worry the market will fix all is a failure. GOP candidates are now talking about Coolidge and his policy of do nothing, followed by Harding who allowed the country to slide into the Great Depression because he did nothing.

The current members of the GOP house have shown they want to do nothing.

Pres. Obama has done a great job with Healthcare, keeping taxes down for the majority of the country, lowering the budget deficit and keeping our ground troops out of the mess called the middle east.
I did well under Bush. I could see the housing crash coming, it was screaming crash. Did you know that the people who do well are positioned for such times. By the way, I'm doing well under Obama because I don't look to someone else to take care of me and I especially don't don't look to the government to legislate prosperity.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:21 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
We might not see another black president for a long time simply because there are far more white politicians. I doubt being black will hurt, most of the country isn't as racist as liberals are, certainly not as racist as they claim everyone else is.
When Obama was elected I wished him success mostly because I didn't realize what he was about. After a few years of Obama and since most blacks continue to support him no matter how bad he screws up it made me wonder ...if most blacks think like Obama, would I vote for a black man or woman? If blacks think like Obama.....

There's something wrong with that man.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Wow. Lot of heads exploding on this thread. I hope the OP wasn't expecting anyone to actually address the article.

From the article. So true:
Quote:
a constant of his time in office, is the onslaught from the right, which has never stopped portraying him as an Islamic atheist Marxist Kenyan. Nothing has changed on that front, and nothing will.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Wow. Lot of heads exploding on this thread. I hope the OP wasn't expecting anyone to actually address the article.
Funny you should mention that just as I was checking in now to see if anyone had even read the article.

I generally avoid reading or participating in this forum because thoughtful discussion is such a rare commodity here. Instead it seems to be a kind of uncivil moshpit of slogan slinging and name calling. And it's clearly dominated by entrenched conservatives who have no interest in any meeting of the minds, but simply want an outlet for their frustration that the world doesn't agree with their positions. Notice how often the word "liberal" is used here as a pejorative.

I didn't intend for this thread to be a study of the posting habits of the regulars here, although it accidentally showed up that way. I thought the article I quoted was thought-provoking and interesting, because it makes a case that runs against the common internet chatter about how the President is doing, and it does it based on a factual analysis of the measurable effects of his administration to date, and it was written by a celebrated Nobel Prize winning economist. I'm accustomed to reading a wide variety of material, from the full spectrum of political thought, because I've found valuable insights everywhere, and no single point of view seems right in every instance.

I thought... it will be interesting to see what people think after reading this article. Boy, was that a silly thought. Not only did posters respond without reading the article, they celebrated the fact that they had not read it. "I don't need to read it..." was a common refrain. And there were variations on "Krugman is just a hack." And the usual pre-chewed sentiments were delivered with the customary invective. But very, very little actual thinking was evident.

Ah, well, I suppose that says more about the nature of internet comments than anything else. Given the anonymity and the psychological remove, social scientists say that many people feel they can say all the things they want to say in real life but can't or don't. So incivility and anger reign, and it all becomes a giant Fight Club, as posters just bash and lash out with abandon.

But reading? And thinking? And exchanging ideas? No, not so much.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:56 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Wonder if Mr. Krugman knows some of us had healthcare until it didn't fit the Obama plan. Now some of us have NO insurance due to canceling! Also, unlike before a person CANNOT sign up at any time, even if the government cancels the existing insurance. The Affordable Obama Health Care plan sucks.

Just overload hospitals with illegals who have no insurance and never plan to pay the hospital bill. How is destroying the culture of a country, "Being known as a successful President in History.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:58 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In an article that is bound to please some, baffle others, and infuriate many here, Nobel Prize winning economist and Professor of Economics at Princeton University, Paul Krugman, not always a fan of Barack Obama, has lobbed a bombshell into the political arena with his analysis of the effects of the President's administration so far.

In an extensive article in Rolling Stone Magazine this week, Krugman makes the case that despite the unfavorable public opinion polls, Barack Obama "has emerged as one of the most consequential and, yes, successful presidents in American history."

Among his key accomplishments, says Krugman, based on detailed analysis of the economy...

I don't know how far this analysis will penetrate into the conservative echo chambers, but among free thinkers it should be a welcome respite from the extreme partisan rhetoric which has largely replaced civil discourse and debate and crippled our ability nationally to find the points of mutual of interest and compromise which allowed for workability in the past.

What Krugman points out is that in the face of all the assembled opposition, President Obama has accomplished a great deal more than he's generally acknowledged for.

And he's not over yet.
What Country have you been living in the last 6 years. A very comical claim at the very least!

Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Like Obama, Susan Rice, and all the other ,liars who peddled this disaster, Krugman didn't bother to mention that this new 'improvement' to our healthcare system included 4-figure and even 5-figure deductibles which have to be paid annually in addition to the monthly cost before you can see your doctor; another 'inconvenient truth' of theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies