Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:02 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,949,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
The "lady" is about who a business does business with.....not employment.

That is apples/oranges.
Does not matter, the person still has their rights and a company can fire and hire who they want and do not have to give any reason for their actions. Do you feel you must have some stated cause when letting an employee go or do you simply tell them that they are terminated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
The "lady" is about who a business does business with.....not employment.

That is apples/oranges.
Would she hire a Muslim? We both know the answer to the question, thanks for playing.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Looks to me that a jury is being asked not the state.
This will settle out of court.

But, a jury would be asked to follow the law in that state.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
if there is proof that someone was fired for religious reasons, being gay, being black, that employer is going to have some problems. employers still have to follow labor laws.
VERY hard to prove, the company can give a long list of reasons that would wash if brought to court, it won't be, and in many States no reason is required. The guy has no legal leg to stand on, gun ownership is a right, employment is not, and is not covered un anti-discrimination laws.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Does not matter, the person still has their rights and a company can fire and hire who they want and do not have to give any reason for their actions. Do you feel you must have some stated cause when letting an employee go or do you simply tell them that they are terminated?
I have only let one person go......my brother-in-law.

He was late for work......most days.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
VERY hard to prove, the company can give a long list of reasons that would wash if brought to court, it won't be, and in many States no reason is required. The guy has no legal leg to stand on, gun ownership is a right, employment is not, and is not covered un anti-discrimination laws.
A lot will depend what they put in writing......time will tell.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
I have only let one person go......my brother-in-law.

He was late for work......most days.
Lucky you, I have had to let go many people during my career and it is never fun, in some cases a reason was given, in others none was provided nor was one required.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:08 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,781 times
Civil and political rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Civil and political rights are a class of rights that protect individuals' freedom from infringement by governments, social organizations, and private individuals, and which ensure one's ability to participate in the civil and political life of the society and state without discrimination or repression.

Civil rights include the ensuring of peoples' physical and mental integrity, life and safety; protection from discrimination on grounds such as race, gender, national origin, colour, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion, or disability;[1][2][3] and individual rights such as privacy, the freedoms of thought and conscience, speech and expression, religion, the press, assembly and movement.

Political rights include natural justice (procedural fairness) in law, such as the rights of the accused, including the right to a fair trial; due process; the right to seek redress or a legal remedy; and rights of participation in civil society and politics such as freedom of association, the right to assemble, the right to petition, the right of self-defense, and the right to vote.

Civil and political rights form the original and main part of international human rights.[4] They comprise the first portion of the 1948 Universal Declaration of Human Rights (with economic, social and cultural rights comprising the second portion). The theory of three generations of human rights considers this group of rights to be "first-generation rights", and the theory of negative and positive rights considers them to be generally negative rights.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:09 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Hmmm, I thought the Cons here were all for companies being able to discriminate however way they wish, or is only when it comes to companies run by Cons? So, either you have a double standard or don't. Somehow I doubt is was simply about them owning a gun, usually there is more to the story and I doubt this case will be any different.
"I thought the Cons here were all for companies being able to discriminate however way they wish,"

Obviously, what you "thought" is wrong.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
A lot will depend what they put in writing......time will tell.
I do not know the labor laws there, it is a progressive state so they may have some strange laws, most states I have worked did not require anything be put in writing and if so I am sure they can simply say "downsizing" or "budget cuts" and that would be that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies