Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 04:31 PM

7,503 posts, read 5,753,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
complaints:
Kaci Hickox:
her linkedin page = CDC FELLOW.

meaning she works for the CDC.
she is intentionally making her case political.

please note as of now she took down her linkedin page.
her superiors must have contacted her and found it bad politics

Kaci Hickox Archives - Got News

but Ms. Hickox
should know it is not in offense to her.
but it is just she was acting way too spoiled in this case.
I find it particularly amusing that a liberal that supports big government are pissed! What the hell do they expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 04:36 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The URL I provided:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/27/ny...tine.html?_r=0

was just in reference to the politics of all of this and the issue of states rights which seem to not exist much these days with those who are running the show. And the obvious game of politics being played...again. No one wants to appear "wrong" to have another politicians show them up, especially in election season.

I can see both sides of the argument and holes in each:

US disease expert argues against Ebola quarantine

""The best way to protect us is to stop the epidemic in Africa, and we need those health care workers, so we do not want to put them in a position where it makes it very, very uncomfortable for them to even volunteer to go," said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases."

This could be the case for some. But then again, I would think those volunteering in countries where work conditions are "very, very uncomfortable" to say the least would think a 21 day quarantine in luxury compared to their working environment in Africa would be a walk in the park, yes? And since we have seen Dr.'s and nurses taking subways, planes, etc., while the experts tell us the chances are remote of transmission, I wonder if those who are against a quarantine for these health care workers, sitting in the comfort of their home, would feel comfortable sitting right next to one of these people when they were walking about running an elevated temperature? Last I knew the body doesn't always wait to run a temperature/show signs of Ebola when a person is comfortably sitting in their couch at home/away from people in public places.

I'm of the mind to prevent travel by anyone into our country with a passport from the countries with large outbreaks just to be safe. And quarantine health care workers arriving from affected countries that were treating Ebola patients. Some would call this an overreaction. I call it being overly cautious, especially if a new strain comes about that is more easily transferred from person to person. Hint: The "experts" won't know this right away if and when it happens.
I don't think we want to make life more difficult for those that volunteer for Doctors without Borders and other organizations overseas. She is very experienced as are many health care professionals that have worked in western Africa for months and criticized the quarantine. Do we now quarantine the health care workers that are monitoring her, the screening agents, just how far do we go with this. It's difficult enough to find volunteers to go over there and now to place her in a tent for 21 days.

This is a complete overreaction and sure looks like the governors are politicizing this, who were the health care professionals that had the governors impose this action, who were the experts?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I don't think we want to make life more difficult for those that volunteer for Doctors without Borders and other organizations overseas. She is very experienced as are many health care professionals that have worked in western Africa for months and criticized the quarantine. Do we now quarantine the health care workers that are monitoring her, the screening agents, just how far do we go with this. It's difficult enough to find volunteers to go over there and now to place her in a tent for 21 days.

This is a complete overreaction and sure looks like the governors are politicizing this, who were the health care professionals that had the governors impose this action, who were the experts?

See my earlier post, unfortunately you and I are in the minority.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:42 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Not sure why you bolded democrat. It doesn't change my opinion. I never made a distinction, they are both idiots! I am tired of the ignorance. Lets see what we know.

No one who flew with Duncan, or nurse Vinson has been infected.
No one who came in contact with Duncan, even when he was SYMPTOMATIC was infected. ( his girlfriend, ambulance drivers, etc)

The only people who have contracted Ebola either have 1) gone to west Africa and been in contact with Ebola patients at the final stage of the disease 2) have been caretakers here in the us of someone in the final stages of the disease.

The rest is politics and hysteria. This nurse is fully capable of monitoring her temps and reporting them, just like dr spencer did. When he had a fever he notified the proper authorities.

It's sad that we are nearing flu season and now every ER is going to flip out as soon as someone comes in with a fever.
Thousands of people have ebola. Even trained health care workers are getting sick. We don't know how ebola spreads in a cooler climate. We don't know if it can be spread by animals here. Just because "only" two people got ebola from Dunkans doesn't mean others won't get sick from the next patient. This is a bipartisan effort to protect the public. The nurse is the one making it political. If she sues, I hope I'm on that jury. Most people here support this, even the ones who don't like Christie. I bet that the people criticizing this will secretly sleep a little better tonight.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:49 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Amen. There were workers who went into the nuclear plants in Japan who knew, by doing so, they were going to die. Now we may experience some of these same types in the fine organization mentioned above. We should be heralding them, w/o adding over the top restrictions.

1 case..in a city of 8 million. This comes to mind, regarding our reaction:

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-26-2014, 04:51 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Thousands of people have ebola. Even trained health care workers are getting sick. We don't know how ebola spreads in a cooler climate. We don't know if it can be spread by animals here. Just because "only" two people got ebola from Dunkans doesn't mean others won't get sick from the next patient. This is a bipartisan effort to protect the public. The nurse is the one making it political. If she sues, I hope I'm on that jury. Most people here support this, even the ones who don't like Christie. I bet that the people criticizing this will secretly sleep a little better tonight.
Heath care professionals indicate otherwise, we already know how it is spread. Now it reacts differently in a cooler climate? This is a person that risked her life volunteering in foreign countries and she come home to be quarantined, she has every right to be angry. Christy thought it was a good idea because of some feigned paranoia so he can dictate policy that is based on opinion, not fact.

This is bipartisan political paranoia, glad the can agree on something.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:55 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Not sure why you bolded democrat. It doesn't change my opinion. I never made a distinction, they are both idiots! I am tired of the ignorance. Lets see what we know.

No one who flew with Duncan, or nurse Vinson has been infected.
No one who came in contact with Duncan, even when he was SYMPTOMATIC was infected. ( his girlfriend, ambulance drivers, etc)

The only people who have contracted Ebola either have 1) gone to west Africa and been in contact with Ebola patients at the final stage of the disease 2) have been caretakers here in the us of someone in the final stages of the disease.

The rest is politics and hysteria. This nurse is fully capable of monitoring her temps and reporting them, just like dr spencer did. When he had a fever he notified the proper authorities.

It's sad that we are nearing flu season and now every ER is going to flip out as soon as someone comes in with a fever.
Totally agree. The quarantined nurse in NJ who is not sick is filing a federal lawsuit. I think she'll win. Ignorant hysterics who know zero about medical issues should not be making medical policy.

Can you imagine going to work in Africa to help and coming back and being isolated in a freezing cold tent with nothing when you are not sick? It must feel horrendous.

Last edited by Enigma777; 10-26-2014 at 05:45 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 04:57 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Puh-leez, spare me the histrionics. Yes trained healthcare workers are getting sick because, THEY ARE DEALING WITH DYING EBOLA PATIENTSCooler climate has nothing to do with it. And spare me the bipartisanship, as I said,...Cuomo and Christie are both up to their ears in investigations, and they both are eyeing the White House.

As usual ignorance wins the day. There are stories of school districts closing, asking Africans not to send their kids when the kids have never set foot in Africa. The bridal salon throwing out merchandise when amber never tried on a dress,it's all over the top. Yes we should exercise caution, but this is too much.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:05 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,872,015 times
The CDC refuses vitamin C and colloidal sliver to ebola patients . . .

because it's a waste of money.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:08 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Puh-leez, spare me the histrionics. Yes trained healthcare workers are getting sick because, THEY ARE DEALING WITH DYING EBOLA PATIENTSCooler climate has nothing to do with it. And spare me the bipartisanship, as I said,...Cuomo and Christie are both up to their ears in investigations, and they both are eyeing the White House.

As usual ignorance wins the day. There are stories of school districts closing, asking Africans not to send their kids when the kids have never set foot in Africa. The bridal salon throwing out merchandise when amber never tried on a dress,it's all over the top. Yes we should exercise caution, but this is too much.
Christie is not under investigation for anything. The governors are doing the right thing because the federal government refuses to act. I'm sure that the states have their own experts who support this. As for the schools and bridal shops, I don't about those and it's not really this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies