Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2014, 09:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
A "walk in the park?" No. I think when someone has been busting their butts under harsh circumstances, all they want to do is go home and see their loved ones, pets, and sleep in their own bed, not be isolated in some sterile cold environment for 3 weeks.

How about the troops who are going? Are they going to be isolated for three weeks when they come home on leave?

I think if they are forcing perfectly healthy people to go into isolation, it should be in a 5-star resort.
How do you know they are all perfectly healthy until the 21 days are over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 09:44 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
A "walk in the park?" No. I think when someone has been busting their butts under harsh circumstances, all they want to do is go home and see their loved ones, pets, and sleep in their own bed, not be isolated in some sterile cold environment for 3 weeks.

How about the troops who are going? Are they going to be isolated for three weeks when they come home on leave?

I think if they are forcing perfectly healthy people to go into isolation, it should be in a 5-star resort.
Currently the Pentagon plans to monitor military personnel for 10 days BEFORE they come back home after duty in the region. But they've said that a 21 day quarantine is not "off the table."
U.S. considering quarantine for returning Ebola health workers: CDC | Reuters

People are acting like quarantine is jail time or that people are being locked in the stocks or isolation wards. This isn't the case. My gosh, my husband has been quarantined several times after working in West Africa - not for 21 days but for a week or so. It's not pleasant but it's not the end of the freaking world.

And he was frankly glad to do it because the last thing he wanted to do was come home and get his family sick.

There's some bad stuff over there - not just Ebola.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:29 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Excellent suggestions, why didn't "they" think of it?
Thanks.

Yes, makes ya wonder, doesn't it? Certainly makes an individual who can think a little question it all.

Based on my observations on many things in life, when the serious "experts" in suits with fancy titles tell us not to worry, we have it all under control, there are protocols in place, etc., that's when my eyebrow raises a bit as we often realize how much of mankind's infrastructure/planning is built on a badly framed house of cards when the you know what hits the fan.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Currently the Pentagon plans to monitor military personnel for 10 days BEFORE they come back home after duty in the region. But they've said that a 21 day quarantine is not "off the table."
U.S. considering quarantine for returning Ebola health workers: CDC | Reuters

People are acting like quarantine is jail time or that people are being locked in the stocks or isolation wards. This isn't the case. My gosh, my husband has been quarantined several times after working in West Africa - not for 21 days but for a week or so. It's not pleasant but it's not the end of the freaking world.

And he was frankly glad to do it because the last thing he wanted to do was come home and get his family sick.

There's some bad stuff over there - not just Ebola.
Good examples/summary.

And in the same line of thinking, people ought to read up on the quarantine rules for animals passing back and forth between various nations. I'm not knocking these rules but they exist for a reason, even for diseases, viruses, bacteria, etc that are considered rare.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:54 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Good examples/summary.

And in the same line of thinking, people ought to read up on the quarantine rules for animals passing back and forth between various nations. I'm not knocking these rules but they exist for a reason, even for diseases, viruses, bacteria, etc that are considered rare.
Right - my family is military and so we're pretty familiar with animal quarantines, which can be weeks when moving to another country.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:58 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Mali now has Ebola. It was brought in by a two year old who eventually died from it.

"After 2-year-old Fanta Kone's father died in southern Guinea, the toddler's grandmother took her from the forested hills where the Ebola outbreak first began months ago to bring her home to Mali. It wasn't long, though, before the little girl started getting nosebleeds. By the time the pair made their way back more than 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) to the heat-baked town of Kayes several days later, the toddler had a high fever and was vomiting blood. Doctors swiftly diagnosed Fanta with Ebola, but she soon succumbed to the virus already blamed for killing nearly 5,000 people in the region."

Mali rushes to track Ebola after toddler dies

The grandmother is quarantined. They think the kid was symptomatic when she traveled on a bus so the whole country is afraid.

I think the governors are doing the right thing. Better that the symptoms appear when they are quarantined than discovered by them when they are out in public.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:32 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
She is exhibiting no symptoms within the 21-day period. The caution is obviously in case she does start in with Ebola symptoms.

They should have quarantined Spencer when he got back, and anyone else who has/had direct care of Ebola patients. It's kind of a no-brainer, I don't see the big deal.

Now the fact that Nurse Kaci was allegedly mistreated is another matter. One can be quarantined in a comfortable place with personal things to do in that quarantine.

Her ruckus is confusing matters greatly. She should be lobbying for the quarantine that covers the full 21 days from the final day with contact with any patient, and that the quarantine place be nice and returning doctors/workers be treated with respect.
yes, I feel the same way, it is a precautionary measure, and I'm with Chris Christy all the way! Everyone in the United States with any common sense ability should understand, it is for everyone's protection. If you want to work over there, you have to follow procedure, and quarantining everyone should be a practice of preventative maintenance.

This nurse is screaming in-humane....it is more inhuman not to! I'm shocked that any health care worker would think otherwise, only because it is an inconvenience to them. Unbelievable. She cares about no one but herself.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It tells a lot that this woman works for the CDC but clearly has zero interest in protecting the health of the public. Instead of making the best of this she's all over tv complaining.
yes indeed, and those screaming over reaction, have no clue and disgust me. It is common straight foreward sense to quarantine those coming back, period. She indeed has no concern for others, otherwise she would understand and shouldn't be a health care worker, just like that woman who was on the cruise. No regard for anyone else but herself. So, b/c people like that exist in our nation, rules have to be made to protect everyone else, b/c they refuse to take initiative. What they are doing is selfish and inhuman.

Old 10-27-2014, 04:54 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yes indeed, and those screaming over reaction, have no clue and disgust me. It is common straight foreward sense to quarantine those coming back, period. She indeed has no concern for others, otherwise she would understand and shouldn't be a health care worker, just like that woman who was on the cruise. No regard for anyone else but herself. So, b/c people like that exist in our nation, rules have to be made to protect everyone else, b/c they refuse to take initiative. What they are doing is selfish and inhuman.
I know!!! Put those idiot health care volunteers in chains, huh?

Old 10-27-2014, 05:00 AM

5-Year-Old Boy Under Observation at NYC Hospital Over Ebola Concerns - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies