Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 04:52 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,473,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Let's remember those are the few and we, people who respect freedom and law are the many. Millions of Americans waiting for the return of America.
And let's remember there are more than a few here that do indeed respect other human beings and believe that even if the risk is small for something so potentially dangerous, they believe in/would have done themselves a self-quarantine without whining about it and drop the "it's all about me/my rights/my freedom over those of others" rhetoric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If I just came back from Africa i'd self quarantine for 21 days.
To me that's just good ole common sense.
A breath of fresh air/considerate approach.......thank you.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:55 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
And let's remember there are more than a few here that do indeed respect other human beings and believe that even if the risk is small for something so potentially dangerous, they believe in/would have done themselves a self-quarantine without whining about it and drop the "it's all about me/my rights/my freedom over those of others" rhetoric.
There are plenty of health care workers who have already done so. The nurses in Dallas. The volunteers for Samaritan's Purse. They did not immediately call every news outlet they could find to rage about so-called unfair detainment.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:56 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
she was wearing equipment to prevent exposure. A big to you.
So was Dr. Spencer.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:57 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
EVERYTHING we've learned about this disease in the DECADES that it's been infecting humans tells us that a person who is not symptomatic is not contagious. If it were contagious when people were asymptomatic, then it would be much more widespread. That's just plain math.

Since quarantine is meant to prevent contagion, to quarantine someone for Ebola who is not symptomatic is to quarantine someone without cause.
Monitoring temperature is a form of quarantine.

Levels of quarantine:

An Introduction to Epidemiology - Thomas C. Timmreck - Google Books

"There are four levels of quarantine used in public health. They are (1) segregation, (2) personal surveillance, (3) modified quarantine, and (4) complete quarantine.

Ms. Hickox falls in the second category.

She does not need to be isolated; she needs to be monitored until her 21 days are up That is the only quarantine she needs. If she stays away from other people it will make contact tracing easier if she does get sick.

Old 10-30-2014, 04:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If I just came back from Africa i'd self quarantine for 21 days.
To me that's just good ole common sense.
same I think anyone with common sense and a sense of duty to the public like a nurse would in fact go through this.

I would put myself in self quarantine for 21 days easily if I came from there.

I do not need others to tell me that because I would think I am a good person that would not risk having others deal with my mistakes.

she keeps speaking of science.
but science dictates that there are still unknowns and that the 12 hour window of her not diagnosing herself is a risk.

however small it should not be taken when the stakes are so high.

she could always live in the woods
others have the right to snub her and not serve her in public/private places if they so wish.

so is she going to go live out of town for 21 days then?
she can go camping then...

instead of risking everyone else.
this CDC employee is too self entitled people someone needs to throw the book at her and fire her.

why does she think she is better than our military troops
it is almost as if the people supporting her not in quarantine have something against the troops that are helping there as they would need to quarantine and not her.

what is up with this double standard.

I hate people whom are bias and the people doing this are clearly bias.

since obama is CLEARLY SNUBBING our men and women in uniform I do believe he as the commander in chief is intentionally SNUBBING them.

Last edited by CaseyB; 10-30-2014 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: getting off topic

Old 10-30-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
There are plenty of health care workers who have already done so. The nurses in Dallas. The volunteers for Samaritan's Purse. They did not immediately call every news outlet they could find to rage about so-called unfair detainment.
Exactly. And I think that's what we all have to keep in mind. The silent majority are often left out as that doesn't make "exciting" news.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
We can't seal ourselves hermetically of course but we could keep the incident rate far lower, potentially close to zero, while a vaccine or cure is developed, tested, and manufactured. There are several promising candidates for the former. Saying we can't perfectly protect ourselves so we shouldn't try at all is a logical error at best and intentionally intellectually dishonest at worst.
OK so outside your house theirs a hornets nest. Your solution-seal up the house and ignore it. Mine is-go out there and eliminate it. Now do I think we should protect ourselves? Sure! But lets do it in a logical methodology. Deal with people that are sick-those are the only people contagious.

Quote:
Now, your "its the right thing to do" point is a valid moral argument. However, there is a balance to be struck between helping people in Africa and protecting our own country. Obama is on the far side of doing very little to protect the nation he is President of, and it's really a problem. A good place to strike a balance is to continue to let healthcare workers who want to go to help in Africa, continue to provide aid/money to fight the issue, but to also require a mandatory 21 day quarantine for people entering the country from the effected region. Implementing a 21 day mandatory quarantine goes a long way to protecting ourselves and doesn't represent completely abandoning Africa to the breakout either.
Let me be clear, not only is it a good moral argument, its actually a good non-moral selfish argument. Helping these people solve the problem in their countries reduces our problems, and makes us their friends. win-win.

Quote:
Cuomo and Christie have the right idea, and hopefully more governors will follow in the absence of responsible or competent action from the federal executive branch.
If they were doing it in some rational manner sure. Instead they've tried to quarantine someone who truly appears to not be ill. Course this lady should just self quarantine herself, and not go for rides just to avoid people freaking out, but she isn't symptomatic, and thus-no reason to quarantine.

fine line I suppose. But one based on science and reality, not fear. Way too many folks here live in fear.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:01 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
she was wearing equipment to prevent exposure. A big to you.
Epidemiologic Risk Factors to Consider when Evaluating a Person for Exposure to Ebola Virus | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

"Some risk includes any of the following:
In countries with widespread Ebola virus transmission: direct contact while using appropriate PPE with a person with Ebola while the person was symptomatic."

Old 10-30-2014, 05:03 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,980,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
She's not winning a lot of friends, especially in her home state, that's for sure. I think her 15 minutes of fame will ultimately come back to bite her when she's no longer a media darling but people remember her actions. Employers, for example, would likely pass on her simply to not encourage any issues.
She'll probably be offered a high position at WHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies