Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 06:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The real heroes advocate protecting our country instead of pursuing political agendas or worrying about feelings of either Africans or the libs who help them out of some sense of white guilt.
Those would be the scientists of the CDC who indicate that helping resolve the problem overseas before it becomes too out of control over there? Good to see you are in agreement!

When your neighbors house is on fire it behooves you to help with a bucket....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 06:56 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That is certainly the truth! At my office, it's about 2-1, opposed to Ms. Hickox, for the nursing staff.

I have some problems with this post on a couple (at least) levels.

1. I don't know what kind of nursing you do. I work in a pediatric office. We have many patients who choose not to get immunizations, or not to get certain immunizations. I do not agree with that choice, but I do not oppose it. I certainly do not go out of my way to help people make anti-immunization decisions. Another part of my job is telephone triage. Many times, it is my opinion that a patient should be seen, and I let the parent know that. Sometimes they don't want to bring the child in. I can't make them come in, and I don't argue with them, but again, I don't tell them I think that's a good idea, when I don't. I will not help a patient get antibiotics without being seen. Stuff like that. I'm not sure what kind of situations you find yourself in where you have to protect a patient's right to make their own decision.

2. I got into an discussion the other day about "training" vs "education" of nurses. I went to a highly ranked nursing school and it was constantly drummed into our heads that we were being educated, not "trained". You may not think on the job, but I do.

Everyone on her plane, everyone in the two airports (or more) she was in on her way back from Africa, and as far as we know, her boyfriend.

A Girl? She's a woman, well into her 30s.

Really. You have a crystal ball? You know how she would have acted.
I am not going to respond to your post. I would not know how.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:57 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,413,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why is the administration opposed to quarantining civilians who have returned from west Africa while it simultaneously has directed the US military to quarantine military personnel returned to their base in Italy from Liberia?

Army soldiers quarantined in Italy after return from Liberia.
Didn't you listen to President Obama? His policy is based on fact, not fear. We're better than to base our policy on fear. Those ignorant governors who want to quarantine should be ashamed of themselves for pandering to fears.

Oh, the military? That is completely different. We can pimp those people around all we want.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:58 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Fox View Post
No question about it. She is an official CDC EIS officer.

Kaci L. Hickox, MSN, MPH, EIS officer, CDC; Southern Nevada Health District

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/cme/coursedetail/mm6328_cd.pdf
This indicates that she has a Master of Science in Nursing and a Master of Public Health and that her skills are respected at the National level. Smart lady.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
there is no reason to think she was exposed to a contagious disease. Anyway it all comes down to what the law and the medical experts say and both are on her side.
Is this the CD "joke of the day"? She was caring for patients with a highly virulent contagious disease! (I know this has been responded to already, but holy crap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What is "rampant" according to you?

99% of the residents in those affected country are infection-free.

On the other hand, her entire purpose over there was to help treat infected people. In that sense, she was exposed. That doesn't mean that she was infected. And to date, there is no evidence that she was infected. A full-on quarantine doesn't seem merited. But a judge would probably rule for the state to some monitoring and restrictions on her activities.
It is safe to say that 100% of the people in the Ebola hospitals where Ms. Hickox worked in Africa had Ebola.

Quote:
Since the hundreds and hundreds of volunteers that have been in and out of West Africa this year haven't infected anyone in their home countries, the WHO guidelines seem to be adequate. There isn't any need to quarantine anyone. And Ebola is not Typhoid.
Again, already responded to, but do you have a link to the WHO guidelines? And I'd really love to know what you meant about "Ebola is not Typhoid". You're darn right it's not. Typhoid is a serious disease, but it is treatable with antibiotics.

Quote:
IDK, the nurses on the forum seem to be in her corner. I think medical people in general consider this a politicization of their turf. She may well be a hero to them. If she does come down with Ebola though, her cause is dead, dead, and then dead some more.
Uh, no. One nurse on this forum is in Kaci's corner. In my office, it was 2-1 not in her favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I was thinking that she was a libertarian too, just a wild guess.
Not if she works at the CDC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I think the young lady has now set her sights higher than merely nursing.
"Just a nurse", eh? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Don't Call Me <i>Just</i> a Nurse*|*Kateri Allard

Quote:
Agreed. There are lots of public misconceptions. But what we do know is that as long as she does test negative, she isn't spreading the virus. And the self-monitoring is designed to catch the onset of the virus within hours of symptoms, before she is shedding the virus. If even Duncan's relatives didn't catch it in the small Dallas apartment they shared with him, when he was getting very sick, then the self-monitoring which is designed to catch an infection well before the point where Duncan had to be taken by ambulance to a hospital means that the self-monitoring does an effective job of addressing the risk.
We do not know that. This issue has been discussed over and over. You can have Ebola, and test negative, as Dr. Brantly did twice! We don't know exactly when Ebola becomes contagious, and I've never seen any data linking symptoms to a positive test.

Duncan's family anecdote does not say anything. I think his family was lucky. Period.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:00 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Put soldiers every 10 feet along the southern border. Guess what? Its sealed.

And he won't be able to board any flight to the US if his visa is cancelled. DHS gets the PNR (passenger name request) 24 hours prior to any plane departing for the US. Anyone on there without a visa is not boarded.

Same thing with ships crew manifests. Anyone from that country on a ship bound for the US is ordered to remain onboard. The US does it all the time.

Where there is a will, there is a way to crush that will.
Hmm. That's 1,031,712 soldiers per shift with 3 shifts a day and twice that many in support roles. We're gonna need about 9 million troops for that, general. Not to mention that much of the border is mountainous and horribly inhospitable deserts. No food, no water, no shelter. Quite a logistic effort. And we still have the northern border.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Is this the CD "joke of the day"? She was caring for patients with a highly virulent contagious disease! (I know this has been responded to already, but holy crap!)

It is safe to say that 100% of the people in the Ebola hospitals where Ms. Hickox worked in Africa had Ebola.

Again, already responded to, but do you have a link to the WHO guidelines? And I'd really love to know what you meant about "Ebola is not Typhoid". You're darn right it's not. Typhoid is a serious disease, but it is treatable with antibiotics.

Uh, no. One nurse on this forum is in Kaci's corner. In my office, it was 2-1 not in her favor.

Not if she works at the CDC.

"Just a nurse", eh? Sorry, couldn't resist.
Don't Call Me <i>Just</i> a Nurse*|*Kateri Allard

We do not know that. This issue has been discussed over and over. You can have Ebola, and test negative, as Dr. Brantly did twice! We don't know exactly when Ebola becomes contagious, and I've never seen any data linking symptoms to a positive test.

Duncan's family anecdote does not say anything. I think his family was lucky. Period.
For you too, she wore equipment that has a very high probability of preventing exposure. We don't know if she was exposed or not. It doesn't seem likely. Think this stuff through. Exposure to a disease means you actually were exposed, not in the room with a protective suit on. By your weird logic, all people who worked with the 8 US patients should now be locked up somewhere because the were "exposed".

Old 10-30-2014, 07:06 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Hmm. That's 1,031,712 soldiers per shift with 3 shifts a day and twice that many in support roles. We're gonna need about 9 million troops for that, general. Not to mention that much of the border is mountainous and horribly inhospitable deserts. No food, no water, no shelter. Quite a logistic effort. And we still have the northern border.
Yeah, dont forget those Canadians, I mean SURE they sound all friendly, but I got to tell you-those are the ones you should watch even closer.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yeah, dont forget those Canadians, I mean SURE they sound all friendly, but I got to tell you-those are the ones you should watch even closer.
They are not quarantining as far as I know. Any one of them could just walk across the border and contaminate our entire country.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I often feel that I have seen it all. As usual, I am mistaken in that belief.

It is clear that if President Obama had called for a mandatory 21-day quarantine of healthcare workers returning from the 'hot zone', many herein whom wish to be known as 'conservative' would have raised an outcry, including calls of 'dictatorship' and 'our Constitutional Rights'.

However, President Obama has taken a 'long view' of the crises in western Africa. He has stated, time after time, that the 'battle against Ebola' must be taken to the source, in order to prevent true outbreaks, including the USA, from a true epidemic crises. Hence, in order to not discourage healthcare workers from going to the hot zone, he is against automatic quarantine.

Posters like DC have repeatedly pointed out that this virus is not 'easily' caught. The family of the late Mr. Duncan makes that abundantly clear. They were around him when he was obviously 'symptomatic', yet they did not contract Ebola, nor did those at that Dallas hospital sitting with him in the waiting room. The two nurses did, but they fully recovered.

Yet, we have posters herein who, because President Obama has taken a particular position, argue that he, as well as those CDC workers and WHO authorities, are 'liars', and that we are at great risk of contracting Ebola.

I have also submitted my thoughts, including that Ebola is not near as deadly here, as it is in the third-world African nations, due to our superior medical care, superior immune system, and access to clean water.

To no avail. We continue to have sheeple herein repeat the lies put out by those against Obama on principle. That Republican governor of Maine, up for re-election, is one of those at fault. I also view with sadness those Democratic governors (with a view towards the presidency, like Governor Coamo) of 'stirring the pot' for pure political purposes. This shame is not restricted to any one political party, although I feel the Republicans are ahead of the Democrats in this regard (since mid-term elections are coming up; "Obama is for Ebola!").

I have an excellent memory. I see posters herein decrying Obama for not quarantining people, that had heretofore been adamant about the 'power' of government being a disease itself, and of the need to never, never, allowing the 'government' the power to simply restrict a person's freedom. Yet, they now claim 'we are a-scared, and want government to imprison people cause we are a-scared', all the while claiming that the CDC is 'lying' about Ebola, or that information is being held back, without an ounce of proof ("if a person with Ebola coughs, and spittle hits you, that means it's airborne!").

It is nonsense.

It is illogical.

It is "CD conservative".
Why are you trying to make this a pro-anti Obama thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I am not going to respond to your post. I would not know how.
Then don't.

Quote:
For you too, she wore equipment that has a very high probability of preventing exposure. We don't know if she was exposed or not. It doesn't seem likely. Think this stuff through. Exposure to a disease means you actually were exposed, not in the room with a protective suit on. By your weird logic, all people who worked with the 8 US patients should now be locked up somewhere because the were "exposed".
Certainly you have read the CDC guidelines, no? No? Well, maybe you should. Ms. Hickox falls into a medium-risk category. Exposure means different things for different diseases. Maybe you should read up on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies