Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 07:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes. You've made it sound like we all think like you.
I hope not. Nurses training is similar in the united states and the fact that have opinions on the politics of this case is understandable. How would you support Kaci if she were your patient?
Well, she's not anyone's patient, is she? If she got Ebola and I were working in an Ebola unit, I'd give her the best care I could. That's what we all were taught. I am not a "trained" nurse, I"m an educated one. But you leave politics at the door. Heck, if Sadaam Hussein (well he's dead now, but you get the drift) brought his kids or grandkids to our office, I and frankly all of us would treat them like everyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 07:30 PM

553 posts, read 596,238 times
African countries are banning travel from those countries with ebola.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:33 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
IF she was your patient now as she is how would you counsel her?

Old 10-30-2014, 07:36 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, she's not anyone's patient, is she? If she got Ebola and I were working in an Ebola unit, I'd give her the best care I could. That's what we all were taught. I am not a "trained" nurse, I"m an educated one. But you leave politics at the door. Heck, if Sadaam Hussein (well he's dead now, but you get the drift) brought his kids or grandkids to our office, I and frankly all of us would treat them like everyone else.
Your attitude echoes what I know of health care workers and that was a point I made earlier. The profession, from what I've seen, is populated by people who are quite selfless. My issue with Kaci Hickox is that she seems, at least based on her behavior during this quarantine debacle, to not embody this attitude. I could very well be wrong but that's my impression. I did not get that impression from any of the nurses from Dallas including the ones that went into voluntary quarantine after caring for Duncan and the subsequent cases of Vinson and Pham.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:39 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why is the administration opposed to quarantining civilians who have returned from west Africa while it simultaneously has directed the US military to quarantine military personnel returned to their base in Italy from Liberia?
The administration is not opposed to quarantine. Monitoring temperatures is a form of quarantine, and every health care worker who is in contact with an Ebola patient is asked to do it until 21 days after the last contact.

The military just has the option of stashing all the returning troops in one place and monitoring them there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
For you too, she wore equipment that has a very high probability of preventing exposure. We don't know if she was exposed or not. It doesn't seem likely. Think this stuff through. Exposure to a disease means you actually were exposed, not in the room with a protective suit on. By your weird logic, all people who worked with the 8 US patients should now be locked up somewhere because the were "exposed".
No, everyone who works with someone who has had Ebola is considered at risk to have possibly been exposed. That is why they are monitored. It does not have to be a known exposure. Those people (say with a needle stick exposure) are at higher risk and watched even more closely.

Quarantine does not mean locking someone up. There are different steps in quarantine leading up to isolation of infected, symptomatic people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
CDC came out the other day and admitted snot is a danger.
Snot from someone with no symptoms is not a danger. Snot from someone with fever, vomiting , and diarrhea might be a danger if you get it in your eyes or mouth or non-intact skin. You have to be close for that to happen, and if someone is sick enough for snot to matter, you are in far greater danger from their vomit and diarrhea if you are close enough for the snot to land on you.

No one "admitted" anything. It's been known from before this outbreak that droplets of infected secretions are hazardous. CDC is just having a hard time putting the information in terms that some people can understand.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
ABC News reports that the governor is demanding she take a blood test. If it were not so fascist it would be funny.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:41 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The suit is no guarantee, just a very good chance.
and self monitoring compounds that good chance, and the fact that ebola is not very contagious, if at all, in the early stages compounds it again. Finally, we get to the point that the risk is so low that it is simply not advisable to quarantine people like Hickox. That is what the experts are telling us. I heard that already the quarantine and treatment of returning volunteers is having a chilling effect on Doctors without Borders recruitments for Ebola areas. If we can't stop ebola there, we can't stop it. We need to balance risk and reward here.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:44 PM

27,158 posts, read 15,330,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why is the administration opposed to quarantining civilians who have returned from west Africa while it simultaneously has directed the US military to quarantine military personnel returned to their base in Italy from Liberia?

Army soldiers quarantined in Italy after return from Liberia.

I asked the same the other day especially in view of the claim that the military will not be treating patients as opposed to others doing so.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:45 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
and self monitoring compounds that good chance, and the fact that ebola is not very contagious, if at all, in the early stages compounds it again. Finally, we get to the point that the risk is so low that it is simply not advisable to quarantine people like Hickox. That is what the experts are telling us. I heard that already the quarantine and treatment of returning volunteers is having a chilling effect on Doctors with Borders recruitments for Ebola areas. If we can't stop ebola there, we can't stop it. We need to balance risk and reward here.
Hmm, wonder how the mandatory quarantine required for Samaritan's Purse volunteers is impacting their ability to get volunteers? I think there is quite a bit of hyperbole being thrown around (both for and against) on this Hickox matter. She's neither being imprisoned in Siberia nor out there spitting on people. Although, according to a few on here, they sure act like it.

I still contend that Maine's proposal that she agree to stay away from public transport and crowded areas was more than fair but Hickox has decided to make a point, come hell or high water.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:47 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Oh, the military? That is completely different. We can pimp those people around all we want.
Oh snap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies