Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Nurses are allowed to have different opinions just like anyone else.
Just like investigative journalists are. They have their personal opinions but if professional, they keep them to themselves. They operate on the notion of the public's right to know, as nurses and doctors should operate on the public's right to be safe, in any degree of risk, low or high. You do not protect the public based on opinions. Science says the incubation period is 21 days and being infectious can occur at any point during that time, and symptoms occur in stages, obviously, from none to barely none to a bit more, etc. I don't know how a temp would spike due to being mad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,411,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It's not a likely thing, it's an absolute. CDC has come out, several times in fact, to speak out against travel bans and mandatory quarantines.
The government (CDC and President Obama) pretty much blew through all their credibility very early on. Obama said the steps were taken so that no one could jump on a plane and come to America with the disease. Four days later, the Duncan case broke. The CDC and the president said that we were equipped to deal with it. Then two health care workers, victims of inadequate procedures and flawed CDC guidelines, popped up with the disease. Then it was said that the disease was hard to catch, that you could not get it from riding on a bus...except now the CDC seems to be admitting that you could get it from a sneeze from an infected person.

I'll go with the governors on the quarantine deal. The president and the CDC seem to be all too willing to compromise the public safety of American citizens for the sake of some kind of agenda.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The problem is getting people to understand that someone infected with Ebola who has no symptoms who sneezes on the subway is not going to give them Ebola.
The problem is more like how long ago was their temperature taken.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You didn't read the entire article, asking someone to devote 4-6 weeks overseas and then spend 3 weeks in quarantine is not practical.
I did and I addressed that if you read my comments. Samaritan's Purse already had a mandatory quarantine policy in place. The quarantines put in place by New Jersey and New York would have absolutely no bearing on their ability to get volunteers because it was something that already existed. The person who wrote the article neglected to include that information but then it wouldn't be as sensational or fit the narrative the journalist was trying to push, would it?

Old 10-30-2014, 08:47 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The problem is more like how long ago was their temperature taken.
About 15% of the people infected do not get a fever.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:48 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,262,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
"Indignities"?

I would think anyone who is working in the conditions in Africa to treat Ebola patients should find it rather easy to stay quarantined in conditions that are luxury in comparison.

If it's an issue for them, then they should stay home/quit complaining.
And if you want to martyr yourself out on the front end? Martyr yourself on the back end. Sit your rear-end in your house for 21 days.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Wow. Really? I did not know that. I thought fever was the telltale sign hence the temperature checks being considered the monitoring process pushed by the CDC.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
And if you want to martyr yourself out on the front end? Martyr yourself on the back end. Sit your rear-end in your house for 21 days.
She is getting paid by Doctors Without Borders so it's not like she's being put out of income or anything.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
yes, I forgot about that....so can add that to my comment....

Old 10-30-2014, 08:51 PM

27,154 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke
I asked the same the other day especially in view of the claim that the military will not be treating patients as opposed to

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The military quarantine is primarily to soothe the fears of the American public. There is also the possibility that a soldier might have an exposure s/he is not willing to admit.

Anymore than a Doctor?

Remember Spencer journeyed quite a bit around town and lied about it.
Why would military bring anymore fears.

They would be no more a threat than someone that doesn't care to be cautious at home.
Medical Care in service to those overseas is great but disregarding safety upon return is a disservice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies