Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 AM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atai J. View Post
It looks like Ebola is a fake created to justify occupation of Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra-Leone. It spread by Red Cross in Africa. This story smells bad.

Thinking like this is part of the reason Ebola is spreading in Africa. When you spread it you become part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:57 AM

28,928 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thinking like this is part of the reason Ebola is spreading in Africa. When you spread it you become part of the problem.
yes, indeed! I believe the fact that they are doing this is certainly b/c people don't care who they infect....until it DOES hit home...then it becomes real....and a good example is the two nurses and that doctor...who went Bowling, and the one nurse went on a cruise ship and now this one, refused to be quarantined....to hell with everyone else, I'm going to do what I'm going to do and if Infect you and you die, so what!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I took the time and made the effort to educate myself on the risks of ebola. You should too.
Makes me laugh. Your 'education' coincided beautifully with Obama's Ebola talking points generation. I understand the issue and I still think being risk adverse is optimal and all done without needing to look at how my opinion lined up with certain political leaders.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:07 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Makes me laugh. Your 'education' coincided beautifully with Obama's Ebola talking points generation. I understand the issue and I still think being risk adverse is optimal and all done without needing to look at how my opinion lined up with certain political leaders.
Yada, yada, yada. Get back to the issue and stop worrying about me.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:23 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,473,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
This really pisses me off....big time.....
Christie gave in....and she is going home....
The king has spoken. Slapping the states down again. Politics rule!

Quote:
Stupid selfish pathetic people!

Again, not that she has it, chances are she doesn't but if she does?
As the song goes...."Me me me me me me me.....me me me me me me me......".

Welcome to our largely selfish society, who elect largely selfish "leaders". And the circle is complete.....

Old 10-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but your wrong, they still do not know how it is spread as of yet.
Quote:
OK, so they don't know exactly how it's spread, and what if it mutates, b/c dumb people like this spread it around?
Quote:
THEY ARE NOT SURE....THEY SAID IT WAS THROUGH ONLY SALIVA, OR CONTACT WITH THE PERSON'S SWEAT, ETC....
The mode of transmission has been studied since the virus was discovered and it is clearly through infected bodily fluids. Saliva is not a major route; it appears enzymes in the saliva may inactivate the virus. Some virologists are not convinced that live virus gets into the sweat, either.

You will not get Ebola from an infected person who is not having symptoms. You will not get Ebola from the air. You get it from being very close to someone who is ill, and vomit and diarrhea are the riskiest fluids to come in contact with.

So when you say "they said it was only through saliva, or contact with the person's sweat, etc." it appears that you are unaware of exactly what the experts are saying about how it is transmitted.

Quote:
yes, indeed! I believe the fact that they are doing this is certainly b/c people don't care who they infect....until it DOES hit home...then it becomes real....and a good example is the two nurses and that doctor...who went Bowling, and the one nurse went on a cruise ship and now this one, refused to be quarantined....to hell with everyone else, I'm going to do what I'm going to do and if Infect you and you die, so what!
You misread my post:

It was ambiguous. I meant when you spread thinking like that you become part of the problem. I did not mean spreading Ebola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
That's interesting. Why are they called volunteers if they are employees?
Because they volunteer to leave a much higher paying job to work temporarily in Africa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
One of the problems is all the mixed messages from the experts.

They say you can only get this through direct contact, then they shut down a Bowling alley and Sandwich shop where the guy had been a day or 2 before.
The closings are not done for medical reasons. They are because of the fear the public has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
If Ebola gets into the gay male population, all bets are off.
Since there is no evidence that the virus spreads any differently in gay male and straight populations, this statement just seems homophobic.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:30 AM

28,928 posts, read 30,291,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The king has spoken. Slapping the states down again. Politics rule!

As the song goes...."Me me me me me me me.....me me me me me me me......".

Welcome to our largely selfish society, who elect largely selfish "leaders". And the circle is complete.....
I so totally have a whole different perspective now, about health care workers....and yes, you are absolutely right bc all 3 of those workers, the two nurses now, and the one doctor.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,473,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The fact remains that Obama has it right and Cuomo and Christie and the rest calling for draconian imprisonment of humanitarian health care workers have it wrong.
I didn't know the Ebola thing is over and we can consider any politician the "winner" or "loser" at this point. This is not a team sport.

And to call a 21 day quarantine of a health care worker "draconian imprisonment" is a bit over the top reaction to something that provides an extra step of safety that just may save someone else/their family the misery of going through an infection and a good chance at dying from it. The experts can't know the status of the virus with 100% certainly if/when it turns into form that's more easily passed from person to person.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:35 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Since there is no evidence that the virus spreads any differently in gay male and straight populations, this statement just seems homophobic.
Stigmatic controls, man.

It's about those filthy people who take their gloves off BEFORE removing the rest of their PPE.

International rules require that you can't wear protective gloves in common areas of laboratory facilities, because the common area people would HAVE A RIGHT to presume you are contaminated!

I say, so what!

Common area people have a right to presume anything they want.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Stigmatic controls, man.

It's about those filthy people who take their gloves off BEFORE removing the rest of their PPE.

International rules require that you can't wear protective gloves in common areas of laboratory facilities, because the common area people would HAVE A RIGHT to presume you are contaminated!

I say, so what!

Common area people have a right to presume anything they want.
Why wear gloves if you are in an area where you do not need them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies