Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,947,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post

They're trying to prevent Ebola from getting out into the general population and if voluntary quarantines keep being broken (e.g. Dr. Spencer, and that MSNBC woman), I can understand the motivation for making it compulsory.
It's just alarmism. Spencer didn't spread the virus, and neither did the "MSNBC woman".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Due process is based on circumstances and quarantines have been repeatedly upheld. She had a fever when she first arrived. That doctor was symptomatic and ran around for 3 days until he developed a fever and finally went to the hospital. We shouldn't rely on random people to simply self-report their symptoms, the stakes are far too high.
Neither was contagious.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:44 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,050,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
If Ebola gets into the gay male population, all bets are off.
In fairness, in the 1980s, promiscuity was something the male gay population advocated. I don't see that same thing these days, especially in a world with AIDS. I don't think it's fair to say the gay male population would be a greater risk than any other current population. The highest risk group, in my opinion, would be the IV drug user population who would delay seeking healthcare.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It is reassuring.
Left off my bit of sarcasm there, I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's just alarmism. Spencer didn't spread the virus, and neither did the "MSNBC woman".
That's your perspective. I do not share that.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:45 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,307,048 times
Quote:
The majority of Americans are a bunch of frightened, ignorant people who have been mislead and manipulated by both the press and the Republican propaganda machine over ebola. Politically motivated misinformation is not facts. The fact remains that Obama has it right and Cuomo and Christie and the rest calling for draconian imprisonment of humanitarian health care workers have it wrong.
Agree--putting someone in a tent without heat, a box for a toilet and no shower for 3 days is definitely is bizarre treatment of a nurse who is not ill.

The Salem witch trials occurred because of ignorance regarding disease (along with religious extremism gone haywire). There have been times during this 'crisis' that it really feels like we're back in 1692. The mass hysteria in a modern industrial nation is more alarming than the disease.

Nobody has been infected in the US other than the nurses who cared for Duncan when he was highly contagious and it was later discovered that they did not have the proper protection. Nobody who lived with him even caught it.

More people in the US will die from the flu this winter than ebola. Should we quarantine anyone who has not had a flu shot?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
THEY ARE NOT SURE....THEY SAID IT WAS THROUGH ONLY SALIVA, OR CONTACT WITH THE PERSON'S SWEAT, ETC....

HOWEVER, THEY ARE not sure about that, sorry for the caps, didn't know my caps thingy was on.

And regardless, even if they knew, to take precaution would be my first, initiative, to nip it in the bud....period. But it seems to me, people are not able to think like that...sure, walk around and infect others....that is our society today...they don't care about how they "May" be affecting the lives of so many others.
THEY ARE SURE. Ebola is spread by contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, and a path of entry into the second person's body. It is not absorbed through the skin. Ebola is not the flu.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM

39,120 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
Exactly. The only person who spread the virus was Duncan and that was because of the lack of preparation and training at the Dallas hospital. The virus behaves exactly as medical experts said it would. There is no reason to stop listening to the medical experts and start listening to Fox and talk radio hosts instead for instruction on how to deal with it.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:47 AM

13,310 posts, read 7,892,117 times
Quote:
THEY ARE SURE. Ebola is spread by contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, and a path of entry into the second person's body. It is not absorbed through the skin. Ebola is not the flu.
Squalene is a viscous human body fluid.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Exactly. The only person who spread the virus was Duncan and that was because of the lack of preparation and training at the Dallas hospital. The virus behaves exactly as medical experts said it would. There is no reason to stop listening to the medical experts and start listening to Fox and talk radio hosts instead for instruction on how to deal with it.
How interesting you've done a 180 since Obama has decided the Ebola crisis is no big deal. I recall your earlier posts. Let's just say they were not of the same tenor.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 AM

39,120 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
How interesting you've done a 180 since Obama has decided the Ebola crisis is no big deal. I recall your earlier posts. Let's just say they were not of the same tenor.
I took the time and made the effort to educate myself on the risks of ebola. You should too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies