Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,245,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Tonight I was on a crowded NYC suburb. I was in NYC all day. I heard no one discussing it. The odds of a piano falling from a balcony killing you are far higher. 1 case in the entire Northeast..from someone who had that rare close up contact at a time when fluids would be transferred. The paranoia is far worse than the disease.
I feel much better now that I know the seething masses in NYC aren't interested in ebola.

Of course, I'm pretty sure they weren't much interested in the threat of terrorism on September 10, 2001, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 03:06 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The most effective cure for ebola there is.

Works best with megadoses of vitamin C, though.

You think T-cells don't want to play in this game?

Course, you need zinc to produce T-cells.

Pharmasuitacols object.
Have you contacted The WHO to let them know vitamin C cures Ebola?

Old 10-27-2014, 03:11 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,553,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
LOL.

YOU are hilarious.

The medical experts, and particularly the epidemiological experts, have weighed in repeatedly, regarding the fact that the proposed quarantines are not scientifically justified. If they aren't supported by the science, then it stands to reason that the justification has nothing to do with science. Hmmmm...what could the justification be? Hmmmmm.... OH, I know!!!! It's irrational, non-science people who can't get it through their thick skulls that Ebola is not the flu, doesn't transmit like the flu, isn't contagious until the person is symptomatic (unlike the flu), and even then, has to have a path of entry into a potential victim. I give you exhibit A: When Mr Sawyer became clearly symptomatic while flying into Lagos. Not a single person on the aircraft flying with him became infected. No one in the airport became infected. Only healthcare workers exposed to his bodily fluids became infected. Exhibit B: When Mr Duncan assisted a very pregnant neighbor who would die from Ebola in a matter of hours to get a cab to take her to various hospitals around Monrovia, accompanied by her also-infected brother, Mr Duncan carried her in his arms and was thus exposed to her bodily fluids. The cab driver was not infected, and there's been no Ebola infections traced to his cab. Exhibit C: When Mr Duncan, who was not symptomatic when he flew to the United States, did become symptomatic, the people who were living with him in a small apartment, sharing a bathroom, still did not come down with Ebola.

All this is both instructive to scientists, and points to scientists being accurate about the fact that a person must come into contact with an infected person's bodily fluids, and provide a pathway for the virus to get inside them, via mouth, nose, eyes, or an open cut or sore. Casual contact is not sufficient. And there are no cases of someone getting the virus from someone who was asymptomatic. No symptoms means no contagions.

Therefore to quarantine people who are not displaying symptoms of Ebola is not scientifically justifiable. However, given the fact that the general public is massively misinformed about the virus, and prone to panic and even mob reactions (I would point out the stigma that nurses who simply work at Texas Presbyterian have experienced), the military's decision in this case is not medically justified, but justified by the irrational public response to an Ebola risk that is minimal.

And no one's going to give you credentials. This is an anonymous internet forum. Anonymous.
Translation: You have no sources or credentials. You're pretending to be an expert.

Keep stating medical opinions if you don't mind the liability, now or in the future.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
So, I'm watching the White House press conference and there's some serious tap dancing going on there. Trying to tap dance around why they're quarantining returning soldiers from West Africa but do not support the New Jersey and New York quarantine rules. Spin, spin, spin, spin. Basically said - ask the DoD. Good lord, that's not an answer.
Maybe the DOD determined that a bunch of 21 year old enlisted men on R&R might not be the best candidates for self monitoring and moderation.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:16 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,036,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Maybe the DOD determined that a bunch of 21 year old enlisted men on R&R might not be the best candidates for self monitoring and moderation.
Just thought it was funny because of the obvious pain it took for him to answer the question. It was some serious tap dancing. It's gotta suck to be a spokesperson.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Translation: You have no sources or credentials. You're pretending to be an expert.

Keep stating medical opinions if you don't mind the liability, now or in the future.
LOL...Anonymous.

What liability? Are you nuts? There is no liability in stating opinions or in linking to reputable articles and statistics (which I've done repeatedly, unlike YOU), on an anonymous forum on the internet. You silly poster, you!

Old 10-27-2014, 03:21 PM

13,308 posts, read 7,880,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Have you contacted The WHO to let them know vitamin C cures Ebola?
No, they've made it clear that they are not interested in a common cure.

They already know all this, anyway.

They're just not allowed to talk about it, publish it or apply it.

It would be bad for business.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:25 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,553,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
LOL...Anonymous.

What liability? Are you nuts? There is no liability in stating opinions or in linking to reputable articles and statistics (which I've done repeatedly, unlike YOU), on an anonymous forum on the internet. You silly poster, you!
Then keep stating medical opinions. Make them definitive.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
No. Not an alarmist. Someone who supports a risk adverse position for our public health policy. You know, it's not all about extremes all of the time.
There is likely no culture more risk adverse than the Swiss. The state mandates everyone have a government determined amout of healthcare insurance and a year later, 99% of the Swiss had insurance.

The international Doctors without Boders is based in Switzerland. The Swiss are not quarantining those who arrive from the affected countries. Neither is the rest of Europe or Canada.

This may or may not change once they diagnose Ebola in Switzerland.

Old 10-27-2014, 03:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Then keep stating medical opinions. Make them definitive.
You betcha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies