Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2014, 10:06 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Bear in mind that 132 people on that plane all went home or to hotels and carried on with their lives. If they saw met hugged kissed 5 people that would be nearly 700 more exposures. The plane flew back and people sat in her seat. More potential contacts. The 700 quickly becomes 3500 to 16000...well you get the picture.
The reality is that the probability is that none of those people, with perhaps the exception of those seated within a few rows of the nurse, were ever exposed to Ebola at all. The people within those rows face a slightly higher risk, but still not a very big one. The person who rode in the same seat on the next flight is still at low risk. The virus does not travel that way. If it did, West Africa would already be virtually depopulated.

The 132 people on the plane will not create a single new contact unless they come down with Ebola. They cannot "expose" someone if they do not actually get the infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 10:19 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,994,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
The first time I heard about Ebola is some doctor preacher with a scruffy beard got this Ebola disease and the conservative news keeps posting these heroic pictures ... They were so high quality that look like they were still images taken from a medical drama. The news kept broadcasting all the people at his church praying and it they did that every day in their newscasts for a while.

But that was a long time ago. Pastor Doctor Preacher Claus, M.D. lived through it. He had some experimental antidote to combat Ebola.

Then there is some African guy that flew to Texas Health Presbyterian Church Hospital, and he died. I listened to the radio and the guy did not get the experimental antidote? Can anybody tell me why?

When the conservative news is trying to promote fake medical dramas, the liberal news is trying to say there is no need for flight restrictions.

I don't like any of this. I don't like promoting the new medical drama. I don't like Church-Hospitals, I don't understand the selective antidote and that it seemed like it went to a rich guy but not an illegal immigrant, and I think if they allow public flights from West Africa Et. Al. then the disease could spread even worse. Especially because Doctor Czar and the rest of The Government don't seem to be doing anything.

That's all I have to say. Thanks.
You may not like Church-Hospitals but in many parts of the USA you may find most if not all hospitals are run by religious organizations. In our area outside of Washington DC. 2/3 of our 6 public hospitals are Church run.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
Quote:
Then there is some African guy that flew to Texas Health Presbyterian Church Hospital, and he died. I listened to the radio and the guy did not get the experimental antidote? Can anybody tell me why?
Yes. There was no more "experimental antidote" (ZMapp) left. And he had a different blood type than Dr. Brantly so he couldn't have a blood transfusion from him. Duncan was given a different experimental drug - the powers that be had to scramble in order to get the OK to give him this other drug. In fact, Duncan was the first person to ever receive this particular drug.

Texas hospital responds to questions over treatment of Ebola patient Thomas Eric Duncan - The Washington Post

Quote:
I don't like any of this. I don't like promoting the new medical drama. I don't like Church-Hospitals,
Church run hospitals would be sorely missed if they didn't exist, since 1 in 6 patients in the US receive treatment via a church run hospital.
Religious Hospitals and Primary Care Physicians: Conflicts over Policies for Patient Care
Catholic hospitals serve one in six patients in the United States | National Catholic Reporter

Quote:
I don't understand the selective antidote and that it seemed like it went to a rich guy but not an illegal immigrant,
Duncan - an uninsured Liberian man - received about $500,000 worth of medical care while here in the US.

Hopefully your concerns about his "disparate treatment" have been laid to rest by learning these facts about his case.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:02 AM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Why are they so upset the nurse got onto a plane? They say it is no threat for West Africans to fly around the world. This don't add up!
Because the nurse had a known exposure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The equipment the report suggests is to protect aginst droplets. The authors are not saying Ebola is transmitted like measles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I wonder when some of these African countries will get their own act together and start becoming more self-sufficient and not rely on outside help?

Having other countries jump in to help a situation temporarily is all well and good but I think there's a fine line of helping and enabling.
The medical infrastructure in the affected countries has collapsed. It is non-existent. It will have to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Aerosol contact range is 10-20 ft,,,,not 3 ft.....A scratch is all it takes for EBola to take hold...or for that matter any virus...I don't believe we will experience a pandemic but that hinges on people being aware with sound facts....and taking precautionary measures....The problem is that this spreads rapidly once a carrier becomes a "leaker". Sorry to use that term but it is descriptive...at this point even the sweat of a carrier is highly contagious....As demonstrated by the two nurses...There's no downplaying this and the government should be using data on passports that were in infected countries to be placed on the no fly list....That is what is know as a first line defense...If that was in place we wouldn't be discussing this...
People who are highly contagious will be too sick to be out walking around in public, so you do not have to worry about anyone "leaking" on you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
The reason for the weak response from other first-world nations is that they expect US--as in United States of America--to step in and shoulder most of the load--manpower and money. After all, WE are the world's babysitters.

Screw the rest of the world, including Europe and almost all of Africa. When we finally leave, the customs that contributed to the rapid spread of Ebola in the third world are NOT going to change. It will be back to business as usual ... The rest can take care of themselves.
If we do not help the African countries, we will see more cases in the US. As the epidemic grows, people will be unable to feed their families. They will migrate to countries to the east and spread the virus there. That will increase the opportunity for infected travelers to come here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
We have winter coming up with the usual colds and flus and thanks to our administration's porous border policies lots of kids carrying enterovirus D68. So there will be lots of sneezing and touching eyes and what not, especially the young ones. I suspect we are going to find out the hard way just how infectious Ebola is.

I turned to Canada for some figures. PHAC reports "Filoviruses have been reported capable to survive for weeks in blood and can also survive on contaminated surfaces, particularly at low temperatures (4°C)" That's 39.2° F, just in time for winter.
There are no reports of enterovirus D68 in the kids from Central America. Enterovirus D68 was endemic in the US well before this year. If anything, the Central American kids would be at risk to catch it here.

Ebola does not survive for long periods outside of a living host. The study you quoted is for the use of laboratory personnel. It does not mean Ebola can linger in 39.2° F air.

Duncan's family did not catch it, the guy who cleaned the vomit off the apartment walkway did not get it, the kids who were exposed to Duncan's family did not get it, no one on the plane with Duncan got it. Get it? You get Ebola from close contact - like providing medical care - to someone with Ebola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I DO trust the CDC right now.

You can live in fear if you want to. But understand that that is a choice that you are making.
I have seen nothing from the CDC that would make me distrust them. I am disappointed in Texas Presbyterian Hospital's management of Duncan's care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Could this be something where a crisis is started and people benefit from the vaccine? All I know is something is up here. If people are dying now so that a ton of money can be made later, that's totally immoral, depraved behavior.
The patent is just the legal step necessary to move forward with a vaccine. There is nothing ominous about it. The vaccine research for Ebola has been paid for in part with US Department of defense funds. There will never be a big market for the vaccine, since the disease is not one the entire world needs to be protected against. It is actually more of an orphan drug, one that will not exist without outside money to make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The CDC did a very poor job regarding monitoring the hospital workers that worked with Duncan. They allowed people to travel and redefined what a fever is with their "threshold".
Normal body temperature is up to 99.6 ° F. For a woman, her temp will be higher in the last half of her menstrual cycle. Lowering the criterion for a fever will just produce a lot of false positives. If you use 99.6 °, half the adult women on a plane might flunk the screen.

Quote:
they don't know what strain this is....there are several different strains....
They do know. It is Ebola Zaire and the initial patient's virus was traced to bats.

Quote:
Is this utter and complete incompetence, or, a ruse to get rich on a vaccine?
No one will get rich from an Ebola vaccine. There will not be enough ongoing demand to generate a big profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Sounds like we are EXPEDITING visas from ebola stricken countries:
The program is to expedite renewals of visa for people who are already in the US, often with family members, so they do not have to return to the hot zone. Nothing sinister about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It makes perfect sense if the intent is to create an Ebola epidemic in America and impose martial law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
As the number of infections grow; the greater the risk for mutations that might or might not go airborne:
The risk that the person on the ship has Ebola is close to zero.

Ebola is not likely to become airborne. It would take multiple mutations, not just one, and the evolutionary hurdles it would need are quite high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludja View Post
She should be prosecuted. She caused quite a bit of hubbub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
that or give her a bill for all the chaos she caused..
People who raise false concerns about Ebola should face stiff fines. I also think they should face civil lawsuits for any financial losses other people incur, but I suspect that the folks who do it do not have much money.

However, it would be prudent for people to evaluate the possibility the threat is valid before launching quarantines and "decontaminating" areas that do not need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
I am seeing more and more Americans walking around with the same type of facial masks they wear in Japan.

I asked a couple people who were wearing them why, and they said to protect themselves from Ebola.

(I just laughed!) Your thoughts about America's naïve belief that a facial mask is going to protect them against this deadly event?
Well, if it keeps them from getting or spreading the flu, I am all for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post

HIV drug
lamivudine helps cure ebola 70% mortality to 13.33% instead

patent expired 2010-2011 meaning generics

mainly because ebola seems like a deadlier version of HIV
HIV and Ebola are totally unrelated viruses. Several anti-viral medications are being tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
He disclosed in the ER he had recently traveled in Liberia/West Africa. He did not help the ER and say something along the lines of " you know, Malaria and Ebola". Why not? Ignorance? Denial? Fear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The nurse (who the weasel of a doctor blamed on NPR) in the ER asked the patient about travel to Liberia, he said yes, she noted it in her chart, but the doctor did not read the chart. I read one source (can't remember what now) that said the doc thought the pt. was a member of the Dallas Liberian community.

Oh, no, that's not how it happened. Duncan did not lie to the doctor. No doctor asked him about travel to Liberia. The ER nurse asked him, he said yes, and she noted it in the chart.
The records from the first ER visit have been released. Duncan was asked about travel, not by the triage nurse but by the nurse who actually started his evaluation. She recorded Africa, not Liberia, as his response. She testified (I believe to some Congressmen) that she remembered talking about his trip because of how exhausting it must have been. She did not attach any particular significance to his answer. The EHR flagged the travel history to be verbally told to the treating doctor, but she did not do so. The doctor did take his own history. Duncan and his "companion" stated he lived locally and had not been around anyone else who was sick. The EHR pages containing the word Africa were available to the doctor, but the EHR cannot tell us whether he actually read it or not. Whether the doc has testified, I do not know.

Sorry, Kat, but the nurse did not recognize the reason for the EHR red flag, so she bears some responsibility here. The doc did take a history which would tend to lead away from the travel history being significant, since Duncan said he was living locally and had not been around anyone sick. Duncan is partially to blame there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Makes sense. Skin is porous.
Ebola does not get through intact skin. People with any broken skin should not be taking care of an Ebola patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
antibodies are only produced by our own bodies effective against the virus as a result why not use the peoples blood that are now immune?

many online have already expressed this some doctors as well especially now since Dr Brantly did it you know it is suppose to help but his blood still contains the virus it is just that his blood is now immune to the virus itself for now
Use of blood from Ebola survivors is not a new idea. Dr. Brantly himself got such a transfusion before he left Africa, from one of his patients.

The blood contains antibodies but the virus is gone. It cannot be used if virus is still present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Anyone find it weird that they destroyed one patient's dog and now have another one quarantined,if Ebola is only spread by bodily fluids?
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
CNN had " an veterinarian expert" on skype. Expert said there have been no scientific studies of dogs and Ebola. No one knows if the 21 day window is the same for dogs as for humans. He recommended the animal be killed.

CNN also had one of the world's foremost Ebola experts with decades of experience in labs and in the bush on.. The last thing he expected was a question about dogs. He said, "Give the dog a bath and all will be well".
Dogs can be infected with Ebola, not get sick, and make antibodies to the virus. There is no evidence that people can catch the disease from a dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Originating in Africa, wonder if anyone has looked at whether Africans might be more susceptible than other races. That study may be down the road since few outside Africa have gotten ill.
And others speculate that Africans may be at lower risk. We know it is possible to have Ebola and have no symptoms from it. There is some research to suggest genes may play a part, with a candidate gene identified that may make a person less likely to get sick from the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Anyone hear any more about this?

Obama Plans to Let Ebola infected Foreigners Into U.S. for Treatment
More people are needed to help treat patients in Africa, and some countries, Australia for example, are concerned about the length of time it would take to evacuate any aid personnel from their countries if those people became ill. If we are going to ask other countries to send people in harm's way, we may need to help treat some of their workers who get sick. It is not an unreasonable thing to do.

Sorry this is so long!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Old 10-20-2014, 05:54 AM

638 posts, read 624,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do people underestimate Ebola? Has it been stopped yet?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:08 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,399,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
How many people in the US have been confirmed to have it?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moboy32 View Post
The point is that it has killed 1 person in US while other diseases kill hundreds of thousands of Americans every year.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The point is that it has killed 1 person in US while other diseases kill hundreds of thousands of Americans every year.
Point is, it has NEVER been on American soil.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies