Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 10:54 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,332,663 times

Advertisements

Ebola Is Airborne, University Of Minnesota CIDRAP Researchers Claim

could this be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 10:55 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It's a worst-case scenario in the event that the global community does NOT make resources available in these West African nations to fight the virus.
According to the WHO, it's VASTLY underestimated as we stand now.

WHO: Ebola crisis 'vastly' underestimated - CNN.com

Aren't we shocked/surprised.

Old 10-16-2014, 10:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I saw that last night.. the guy is standing there with no protection and talking to the hazmat guys who moved the second infected nurse who is has a high viral load by now. I am shocked at the stupidity of people and the hazmat guys didn't tell the guy to move away from there. He stood next to one guy which was clearly hazardous.
I know what you mean. I also know that nurse 2 was encapsulated as were those personally tending to her.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Let me ask you a pointed question since you keep going on about the "less than 1%".

If you had a family member, good friend, etc who was part of that "less than 1%" that got infected, could have been prevented by getting infected by pulling a passport from someone from an infected zone who infected this friend/family member you know(either directly/indirectly), would you still be going on like those "less than 1%" somehow don't matter that much/it's not a big deal?
YES.

Because I think about these issues rationally, not emotionally.

And because I think about these issues not just from my own selfish viewpoint, but I try to see the point of view of the people actually affected. The Liberians are real people. Who are trying to live their lives, raise their families, earn a living, just like you and I. They face more challenges than you and I, because they live in a poor country with much fewer resources. And the reality is that if LESS THAN 1% of the Liberian people are infected, and that the people least likely to be infected would be the people wealthy enough to travel and therefore to insulate themselves from this virus, then you would expect that more than 99.9% of the people you put in isolation would end up being virus-free. That's what makes it unreasonable. Besides which, it would be pointless unless you somehow convinced every other nation on the planet to similarly require a 3-week isolation period, and that the isolation would apply to every person leaving the country, not just Liberians. That's virtually impossible to do. Do you think the Soviet Union or China is going to go along with the United States? Do you think the Soviet Union or China would agree to an isolation quarantine for one of their citizens who tested negative for the virus on the day they presented themselves to the airport?

Old 10-16-2014, 11:03 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
But I'm still fully confident that the competent and intelligent among us will be able to contain Ebola in the United States, that we have the resources to do so, and that containing Ebola is everyone's goal.
Certainly hope you're right but with the incompetency we've all seen, it's hard to have confidence in any of this.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:04 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,412,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The fact that the people living with him have not gotten sick is good news. Maybe Duncan's contagious state was at it's peak when he was admitted the second time. Or maybe the risk of infection is not always the same from patient to patient? <shrug>

Wouldn't you think that the people who would have been protecting them selves with the most care, and the least susseptable to contracting the disease, would have been the medical personnel?

i honestly dont know what to think.

I do know that based on reports I am hearing today, (I think weve all seen them) the medical personel werent really properly protected. That seems to be the Lesson learned.

thats a pretty hard lession to learn.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM

13,703 posts, read 9,032,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
The problem is: follow the links, to the actual website for the U of M CIDRAP:

Ebola | CIDRAP

Thus far, I can't find where CIDRAP has made any such finding.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:08 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,445,024 times
Quote:
It's always been airborne in the practical sense. Scientists are just so darn technical and don't know how to communicate important information in language that most people can process. The world isn't a courtroom. Yes scientifically it's not airborne, yet but you can get it through saliva which means coughing can spread it.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:08 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,677,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
The problem is: follow the links, to the actual website for the U of M CIDRAP:

Ebola | CIDRAP

Thus far, I can't find where CIDRAP has made any such finding.
Read the article.

Quote:
Altogether, these epidemiologic and experimental data offer enough evidence to suggest that Ebola and other filoviruses may be opportunistic with respect to aerosol transmission.28 That is, other routes of entry may be more important and probable, but, given the right conditions, it is possible that transmission could also occur via aerosols.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:09 AM

33,592 posts, read 18,208,471 times
Quote:
This virus is much more potent than other strains of Ebola. CDC stated that someone three feet away can contract ebola from a sneeze or cough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies