Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 06:29 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh.

There are reports that Nurse Kacie is a trained intelligence officer of the CDC. So, if true, that would explain it all, including her smiling photo opps in Africa. If true (and a number of sources say so), she is not your average nurse with personal “rights” she wants to protect. Reports say that her ties to CDC have been scrubbed from the Net.

CDC and Media Agenda Revealed? Nurse That Complained About Ebola Quarantine Employed by CDC -

Released Ebola Nurse Worked For CDC | The Daily Caller

“Here’s an overlooked factor that could have contributed to her White House-backed release: Hickox is an official CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) officer who performed work for the CDC in recent months.
Hickox was a Class of 2012 member of CDC’s two-year EIS officer training program, according to the official program for CDC’s 2014 EIS Conference (p. 98), which was held from April 28 to May 1, 2014. Hickox was featured in a photograph in the program.”

Oh boy just throw it out there without any facts to back it up.

I thought the CDC's agenda was to prevent the spread of disease, do you know something we don't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 06:32 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Fair enough, but you also don't bring that hornets nest into your home to study the hornets, nor do you leave the window open nest to the next and allow a few stray hornets to enter.
To continue the analogy.....you also don't leave a family member out there.

Seriously you're acting out of fear, not logic.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:34 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I often feel that I have seen it all. As usual, I am mistaken in that belief.

It is clear that if President Obama had called for a mandatory 21-day quarantine of healthcare workers returning from the 'hot zone', many herein whom wish to be known as 'conservative' would have raised an outcry, including calls of 'dictatorship' and 'our Constitutional Rights'.

However, President Obama has taken a 'long view' of the crises in western Africa. He has stated, time after time, that the 'battle against Ebola' must be taken to the source, in order to prevent true outbreaks, including the USA, from a true epidemic crises. Hence, in order to not discourage healthcare workers from going to the hot zone, he is against automatic quarantine.

Posters like DC have repeatedly pointed out that this virus is not 'easily' caught. The family of the late Mr. Duncan makes that abundantly clear. They were around him when he was obviously 'symptomatic', yet they did not contract Ebola, nor did those at that Dallas hospital sitting with him in the waiting room. The two nurses did, but they fully recovered.

Yet, we have posters herein who, because President Obama has taken a particular position, argue that he, as well as those CDC workers and WHO authorities, are 'liars', and that we are at great risk of contracting Ebola.

I have also submitted my thoughts, including that Ebola is not near as deadly here, as it is in the third-world African nations, due to our superior medical care, superior immune system, and access to clean water.

To no avail. We continue to have sheeple herein repeat the lies put out by those against Obama on principle. That Republican governor of Maine, up for re-election, is one of those at fault. I also view with sadness those Democratic governors (with a view towards the presidency, like Governor Coamo) of 'stirring the pot' for pure political purposes. This shame is not restricted to any one political party, although I feel the Republicans are ahead of the Democrats in this regard (since mid-term elections are coming up; "Obama is for Ebola!").

I have an excellent memory. I see posters herein decrying Obama for not quarantining people, that had heretofore been adamant about the 'power' of government being a disease itself, and of the need to never, never, allowing the 'government' the power to simply restrict a person's freedom. Yet, they now claim 'we are a-scared, and want government to imprison people cause we are a-scared', all the while claiming that the CDC is 'lying' about Ebola, or that information is being held back, without an ounce of proof ("if a person with Ebola coughs, and spittle hits you, that means it's airborne!").

It is nonsense.

It is illogical.

It is "CD conservative".
Thank you. I was trying to figure out how to say just that.

Especially the posters that decry every action of government as out of control and massively overstepping. Hickox should be a folk hero to them.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
OK, I got home about 45 minutes ago, caught up on everything that happened since I last looked at this thread. I last left at post #2604, it's now up to 2948. I've multiquoted a few posts I'd like to respond to, but I promise to break it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
With viruses, apparently past performance is a predictor of future performance. As one virologist put it, concerning whether Ebola could become airborne, in 100 years of studying viruses, one has never been observed to change its mode of transmission.

Even after the current outbreak is controlled, Ebola will still be present in animal reservoirs. It will continue to change and produce new strains. Certainly stopping the current strain is of paramount importance, but consider that when that is done, all of the strains in the current outbreak will be kaput, assuming wild animals are not feeding on dead humans.

Many of the Dallas staff decided to quarantine themselves in the hospital, about 20 of them if I remember correctly. Ms. Pham quarantined herself at home; she had only one contact, her boyfriend.

It seems Ms. Hickox does not speak for all nurses.

Friedel cannot win. he is criticized if he says anything and criticized if he does not. Which would you choose to do?
I have no concerns about Ebola becoming airborne.

I would do what I was told to do. My county is monitoring people returning from West Africa. I posted a link yesterday, which should be findable with a search. The will follow the CDC guidelines. I don't know what they'd do with a local case, but I suspect they'd jump pretty fast. I'd do what I was told. If that involved putting off a trip I'd planned for, I'd do it. If I was told to stay out of public places, I'd do it.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:36 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I got home about 45 minutes ago, caught up on everything that happened since I last looked at this thread. I last left at post #2604, it's now up to 2948. I've multiquoted a few posts I'd like to respond to, but I promise to break it up.
Oh, you really didn't miss much! Our usual bickering and such.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:38 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,115,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh, you really didn't miss much! Our usual bickering and such.
Dang. I thought you were doing research on nursing history, like Ms Bel

Old 10-30-2014, 06:40 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,092,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The real heroes are those criticizing others that are making a difference and save lives from their laptops
The real heroes advocate protecting our country instead of pursuing political agendas or worrying about feelings of either Africans or the libs who help them out of some sense of white guilt.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:47 PM

6 posts, read 4,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh.

There are reports that Nurse Kacie is a trained intelligence officer of the CDC. So, if true, that would explain it all, including her smiling photo opps in Africa. If true (and a number of sources say so), she is not your average nurse with personal “rights” she wants to protect. Reports say that her ties to CDC have been scrubbed from the Net.

CDC and Media Agenda Revealed? Nurse That Complained About Ebola Quarantine Employed by CDC -

Released Ebola Nurse Worked For CDC | The Daily Caller

“Here’s an overlooked factor that could have contributed to her White House-backed release: Hickox is an official CDC Epidemic Intelligence Service (EIS) officer who performed work for the CDC in recent months.
Hickox was a Class of 2012 member of CDC’s two-year EIS officer training program, according to the official program for CDC’s 2014 EIS Conference (p. 98), which was held from April 28 to May 1, 2014. Hickox was featured in a photograph in the program.”
No question about it. She is an official CDC EIS officer.

Kaci L. Hickox, MSN, MPH, EIS officer, CDC; Southern Nevada Health District

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/cme/coursedetail/mm6328_cd.pdf

Old 10-30-2014, 06:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
She is not sick. And thanks for thinking highly of us. Most of us support her as she establishes the rights so necessary to avoid government sanction of health care workers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
My point was that, which you seemed to miss, you do not speak for all nurses and your opinion of what Kaci Hickox should or should not do is your opinion alone. You do not speak for all nurses in this regard.
That is certainly the truth! At my office, it's about 2-1, opposed to Ms. Hickox, for the nursing staff.

Quote:
You still don't get it though I respect your willingness to engage.

It would be impossible to speak for each and every nurse on this matter but if Kaci were our patient most every nurse would protect Kaci's right to decide on her own and some, like myself, would assist her to do that.

Nurses, We are trained just like the military are trained. We don't really think about it...we act.
I have some problems with this post on a couple (at least) levels.

1. I don't know what kind of nursing you do. I work in a pediatric office. We have many patients who choose not to get immunizations, or not to get certain immunizations. I do not agree with that choice, but I do not oppose it. I certainly do not go out of my way to help people make anti-immunization decisions. Another part of my job is telephone triage. Many times, it is my opinion that a patient should be seen, and I let the parent know that. Sometimes they don't want to bring the child in. I can't make them come in, and I don't argue with them, but again, I don't tell them I think that's a good idea, when I don't. I will not help a patient get antibiotics without being seen. Stuff like that. I'm not sure what kind of situations you find yourself in where you have to protect a patient's right to make their own decision.

2. I got into an discussion the other day about "training" vs "education" of nurses. I went to a highly ranked nursing school and it was constantly drummed into our heads that we were being educated, not "trained". You may not think on the job, but I do.

Quote:
Who has she exposed during the 21 day period thus far?
Everyone on her plane, everyone in the two airports (or more) she was in on her way back from Africa, and as far as we know, her boyfriend.

Quote:
I hope that you are correct. I would not be surprised to see a team of hazmat agents show up and her door and take her by force to quarantine. There are some really not so bright cra cra people in government and if they feel humiliated (by a girl) they could do anything.
A Girl? She's a woman, well into her 30s.

Quote:
He has a point. Except for the exposures created by the government and news media Traci would have stayed away from people.
Really. You have a crystal ball? You know how she would have acted.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:52 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Why is the administration opposed to quarantining civilians who have returned from west Africa while it simultaneously has directed the US military to quarantine military personnel returned to their base in Italy from Liberia?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...m_liberia.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies