Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,357,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
He doesn't want to. He's a 'global citizen' who believes we are equal to people from Liberia and other 3rd world hell holes.

This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 03:19 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I just don't understand why she rejected the compromise offered by the state of Maine.

She could go out but just not ride on crowded public transport or go to crowded public locations. That seems fair and in line with all of the guidelines I've seen for returning Ebola workers. Why do y'all think she rejected that proposal?
Because I think she has a crusader mentality. She's gone all-in.

I agree with you, I think the compromise offered by the state was reasonable.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:20 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,381,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
That article has the stink of Drudge all over it.
Got it from a link in one of the comments in NBC's Todays Health. Your comment has the stink of bias all over it. Carry on.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:20 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,022,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I find it significant because the offer followed CDC guidelines and yet she STILL rejected it. So, she either never really intended to follow CDC guidelines or she's just trying to make a political point only.
Yes, it was quite a reasonable offer and should have been gladly accepted.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I see no difference with that nurse and say a doctor who saves a life by is actions then gets drunk and goes out and drives on roadways. Its clear and courts have confirmed states and federal government right to quarantine a individual. Individual right does not trump general society as it doesn't in other matters. Go to judge ;get a warrant and take her into custody; placing her in locked hospital quarantine since her word cannot be trusted.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,473,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Can't imagine a court saying a healthcare worker directly involved in patient care with ebola victims is not "exposed" to the ebola virus.
I agree 100%.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,492 times
Ebola is a virus. No country can fully seal itself off from a virus. Precautions yes. Absolute seal off would not be effective. Viruses are too easy to transmit, and plus mutate into slightly different forms.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Okay, found a print article of Maine's offer to Hickox that she's still rejecting.

LePage says negotiations with Kaci Hickox break down over Ebola quarantine - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
Quote:
The Maine CDC “in-home quarantine” guidelines now reflect the federal Centers for Disease Control recommendations for someone who is at “some risk” but shows no symptoms. The federal CDC does not call it quarantine.

The federal guidelines, and now the state’s, call for direct active monitoring of a person who has treated Ebola patients, which means in-person visits to check on the person’s condition. A Maine CDC epidemiologist, someone who monitors and investigates disease risk in populations, visited Hickox’s home again Thursday and was inside for just a couple of minutes, presumably as part of the direct active monitoring.

The guidelines also can include – and in the Maine do include – restrictions on the use of long-distance transportation like buses or airplanes, exclusion from public places like shopping centers and movie theaters and staying away from work.

The person can go outside as long as he or she remains at least 3 feet from members of the public.

“These guidelines would allow an individual in the “some risk” category to go for walks, runs or ride their bicycle, but would prevent such a person from going into public places or coming within three feet of other people in non-congregate gatherings,” the governor’s statement said.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:23 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I would guess given she worked in a country/around people where Ebola is rampant, she would be considered "exposed". Plus the history of the 2 nurses in our country, treating patients, who got infected might come into play into a decision.

But I agree....a court would have to play lawyer ball with the word "exposed". No politics will come into play there of course.
What is "rampant" according to you?

99% of the residents in those affected country are infection-free.

On the other hand, her entire purpose over there was to help treat infected people. In that sense, she was exposed. That doesn't mean that she was infected. And to date, there is no evidence that she was infected. A full-on quarantine doesn't seem merited. But a judge would probably rule for the state to some monitoring and restrictions on her activities.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:24 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because I think she has a crusader mentality. She's gone all-in.

I agree with you, I think the compromise offered by the state was reasonable.
I think that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Yes, it was quite a reasonable offer and should have been gladly accepted.
I thought so too, all things considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies