Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2014, 12:02 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Current Maine Gov = Republican

Judge = former Democratic House elected member

Election day next Tuesday.

Can I beg your indulgence?
Oh give me a break! There are plenty of democrats who want to lock everyone up too including Cuomo and Brown, if that is the ridiculous point you are hoping to make. There is simply no sound basis to deny the woman her constitutional rights and anyone with an ounce of sense, left or right, would come to the same conclusion. How many times do you have to hear it: the woman is not infectious, there is no danger to the public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Oh give me a break! There are plenty of democrats who want to lock everyone up too including Cuomo and Brown, if that is the ridiculous point you are hoping to make. There is simply no sound basis to deny the woman her constitutional rights and anyone with an ounce of sense, left or right, would come to the same conclusion. How many times do you have to hear it: the woman is not infectious, there is no danger to the public.
You are correct in there are democrats who made this choice. My point, regardless of the topic at hand, is when you have 2 opposite political parties, for anyone who's followed politics even lightly, realize no matter the topic, often the other side wants to show up the other side.

I'm just the messenger here....

Quote:
How many times do you have to hear it: the woman is not infectious, there is no danger to the public.
Perhaps. But a Dr. in NYC and a few nurses felt the same for a while.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:08 PM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
You are correct in there are democrats who made this choice. My point, regardless of the topic at hand, is when you have 2 opposite political parties, for anyone who's followed politics even lightly, realize no matter the topic, often the other side wants to show up the other side.

I'm just the messenger here....

The conclusion there is that monitoring works.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:17 PM

47,023 posts, read 26,075,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think you know much about international travel. Your passpsort is checked at every point of entry.
Yeah, but the entire history of where you have been for the last 3 weeks sure as all out isn't. It would be useless, because many, many places will happily abide by a request of "No stamp, please" - and that's overlooking the perpetual preference among immigration officers to place stamps upside down on a random page. Piecing together a travel history from a passport is a looong process. And then there are people (many of them) with 2 or more passports.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,716,928 times
Quote:
You know, I was on the NPR website the other day and someone pointed out that a deflection like this is actually a logical fallacy, a type of strawman argument, acutally.
Main/Appeal To Worse Problems - Television Tropes & Idioms
Fallacy of relative privation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Appeal to worse problems - Issuepedia
Logical Fallacy Cheat Sheet | The Insignificant Nowhere

Hysteria: exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement, especially among a group of people. Behavior exhibiting overwhelming or unmanageable fear or emotional excess

Old 10-31-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
And it seems to have worked...

Old 10-31-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
The conclusion there is that monitoring works.
I'm of the mind that a caring/thoughtful person of others would quarantine themselves in their home for 21 days and look beyond themselves. Go figure.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
We may not see eye to eye on much, but it is good to see a conservative backing actual conservative principles.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And it seems to have worked...
So far......

Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times
Quote:

Regarding Dr. Brantly, you should keep up. Here's what you said that I was responding to:

We actually know no such thing. Brantly had Ebola yet tested negative twice. Tests are fallible. There has been evidence reported that the test isn't sensitive enough to pick up all infection. And we do not know exactly when a person becomes infectious. Even if you say, non-infectious until symptoms develop, what does that mean? What are symtoms? Giving the good doctor Spenser the benefit of the doubt, he may have thought he was just suffering from jet lag when he felt "under the weather" yet well enought to go gallivanting around NYC including to a bowling alley. Many diseases are infectious before a person shows symptoms. I posted a link yesterday to some of them. One of our precepts in pediatrics is "you have to look at the whole child". You don't just go by their fever, or their lab results, or their whatever. You put it all together.

That is what little Boulder County, Colorado intends to do. I posted a link previously.
DID BRANTLY spread Ebola?

Yes or no? It's that simple. If he did NOT spread Ebola, he is irrelevant to your argument that someone can spread Ebola even if they test negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies