Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 11:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times

Advertisements

Of note, the woman suspected for Ebola in Portland tested negative.
A woman being monitored at Providence Milwaukie tests negative for Ebola | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

In other news, Hickox is milking her 15 minutes of fame, giving yet another press conference today. This coming at the same time an NBC poll shows 70% of Americans are in favor of mandatory quarantines for returning health workers from West Africa.
NBC/WSJ Poll: 71% Back Mandatory Quarantines for Ebola Health Workers - NBC News

I thought this story, while a summation of Hickox's press conference today was more interesting for the comments following the story. Interesting to see just how much ill will Hickox has garnered from people. Personally, I think it's less her fighting the court order and more her attitude and words in press conferences.
Maine nurse sees Ebola quarantines as 'abundance of politics'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 05:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
I am still wondering why there is no phony outcry about the Drs and Nurses treating the Ebola patient in Belleview not being in quarantine?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:10 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I am still wondering why there is no phony outcry about the Drs and Nurses treating the Ebola patient in Belleview not being in quarantine?
Well most likely they are self monitoring. Most likely a team of volunteers.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Of note, the woman suspected for Ebola in Portland tested negative.
A woman being monitored at Providence Milwaukie tests negative for Ebola | Local & Regional | KATU.com - Portland News, Sports, Traffic Weather and Breaking News - Portland, Oregon

In other news, Hickox is milking her 15 minutes of fame, giving yet another press conference today. This coming at the same time an NBC poll shows 70% of Americans are in favor of mandatory quarantines for returning health workers from West Africa.
NBC/WSJ Poll: 71% Back Mandatory Quarantines for Ebola Health Workers - NBC News

I thought this story, while a summation of Hickox's press conference today was more interesting for the comments following the story. Interesting to see just how much ill will Hickox has garnered from people. Personally, I think it's less her fighting the court order and more her attitude and words in press conferences.
Maine nurse sees Ebola quarantines as 'abundance of politics'
Her press conference was informative and educational. She illuminated many key points and took time to make it understandable for even the most un educated person. That goes far to assuage fear which is what the judge wanted her to do. "Whether or not the fear is rational or irrational, it is real" he commented. She is doing her civic duty to inform and educate based upon his advice from the bench.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:39 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
How do you know they're not in quarantine? I've read the Dallas nurses were sort of self-quarantined while they cared for Duncan. Of course, I've heard a lot, and not seen a lot of documentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Volunteers? I'd bet they're getting paid.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:48 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
But .. But... You mean they are following the same CDC guidelines as Nurse Hickox??? Where's the political gain in that?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How do you know they're not in quarantine? I've read the Dallas nurses were sort of self-quarantined while they cared for Duncan. Of course, I've heard a lot, and not seen a lot of documentation.

Volunteers? I'd bet they're getting paid.
Yes they are employees and paid but they volunteer for the duty.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
But .. But... You mean they are following the same CDC guidelines as Nurse Hickox??? Where's the political gain in that?
Yes, no doubt. Well it's hard to say either way. The news media has it's place I guess.

I was struck by the woman reporter chasing Kaci and her BF as they rode away. No dignity in that move.

I think the new movie Nightcrawler with Jake Gyllenhall is supposed to deal with the extreme end of that.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
Good point!

I don't know if I made the point here, but the thing some people are missing concerning this, is what policies will our doctors and nurses who will be working with Ebola infected patients here in the US, abide by. Are we going to quarantine all of them too?

Are we going to tell our nurses to lock themselves up at home for 21 days after treating a patient admitted to their hospital?

We need to decide a policy standard for the medical community before an actual out break occurs, not as one occurs, nor making a dozen changes within as many weeks as to what public protocols, policies and procedures we will decide must be adhered to and enforced.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:11 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
It is against science for states to quarantine people out of public and [Obama] opposes quarantines not based on science. When asked why he is then imposing the same restriction that he opposes on scientific grounds for the military - he brushes it off as that is part of the military mission - ignoring the science component.
Just shows the gov't has a political agenda regarding quarantines and travel bans for the public. The military does not pose a political slant. "Science" seems to only be invoked when convenient, though there are scientists who agree with the precautions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies