Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2014, 02:12 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Here we go again:

Nurse: No option but to fight Ebola quarantine

"I didn't mean to bring this media storm onto this community, either, but I think unfortunately sometimes, especially when up against governors, you don't always have an option," she said. "I don't feel like I was given an option."

No option, eh?

She indeed have many options!

How about doing what she wanted to do with her lawyers handling the matter in the background, not appearing herself for countless national interviews, appearing on "Good Morning America", playing on the national stage? The polls show the vast majority of people don't agree with her stance. Regardless if one thinks her view is right, wrong, or indifferent, didn't she realize she'd draw lots of attention given she's going against the grain of the majority?

And interesting to read the many comments after the article, more than a few that are from supposed RN's who disagree with her stance and would take the extra careful approach and quarantine themselves for the 21 days.
looking at her I think she has a high chance of being a descendant of Typhoid Mary or is she her reincarnation?

lets hope the immune to ebola people do not turn into healthy carriers...

see documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JPCZOb7z2w
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 02:18 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,472,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Science is the answer to many diseases, engineering and every professional discipline in the world. We build structures with scientific precision and we cure diseases with it. Science is a tried and true reality of our world.

How do you think we got to the moon and back?
I agree science is the best we humans can come up with. I'm not saying science is bad and we shouldn't use it in the case of Ebola. All I'm saying is science is far from perfect, it's an art/guessing game, constantly open to revision and to me this should be given great respect on how future/current policy is made on Ebola.

Case and point:

http://news.yahoo.com/ebola-rapidly-...201756826.html

"On average, 12 new cases a day were seen in the rural areas surrounding Freetown in late October, compared with 1.3 cases in early September, the report said, a nine fold increase. Transmission was also increasing rapidly in the capital Freetown, with the average number of daily cases six times higher than two months ago."

A new strain making it spread easier/faster? Something has changed and in a short period of time.

And for those trusting "science" that on this board keep telling us only a "fraction" have died from it in Africa, here's another view from the world of "science":

"Almost 5,000 people have been killed by the virus, according to data from the World Health Organization, which has recorded more than 13,000 cases but admits the real number of infections and deaths could be much higher."

Respecting science, but respecting that change is often right around the corner, should all be equally respected. And also respect the fact that sometimes science is flat out wrong. And certainly open to interpretation within the field. We are guessing people....just in an educated kind-of way.

Last edited by stevek64; 11-02-2014 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 02:40 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,510,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
She's a pawn to push the administration's wishes.

Just like all the other civilian pawns that have been used over the years.
It is certainly looking that way. She may have been a self appointed pawn and the white house just ran with it. Who knows. And to think, I thought she was just some wild eyed libertarian anarchist tea party reject - muhaha on me. My tip off should have been when she called Christie a politician instead of governor. Projection/deflection, whatever, she's the first to bring politics into it. My stance remains the same, Ebola doesn't care which political party we belong to.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Every strain of Ebola has been researched by the U.S., Canada and other governments over the past 38 years.

It's funny how some in Congress got worked up because the Czar was not an MD while at the same time rejected science in favor of politically motivated speculation.

Perhaps it's time for Obama to start advocating for the opposite of the desired outcome.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post

it would best err on the side of caution.

it would have been best to close/restrict the flights coming out of ebola countries but they refuse to
to play politics and spread fear
free markets would have closed them off already
that would have been the sensible thing to do
The flights coming out of the affected areas are not US carriers. There are no direct/ non stop flights between the affected areas and the U.S. How Would the US shut down flights of non US carriers that fly between the affected areas and their home countries?

Unless something has changed over the weekend , North Koreas ( A free market? A sensible country? ) has taken the strongest stance. Thet are not allowing any inbound flights from anywhere, just in case.

We are all more likely to die of the flu this year. Get a flu shot to reduce the liklihood of getting sick and infected others.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It is certainly looking that way. She may have been a self appointed pawn and the white house just ran with it. Who knows. And to think, I thought she was just some wild eyed libertarian anarchist tea party reject - muhaha on me. My tip off should have been when she called Christie a politician instead of governor. Projection/deflection, whatever, she's the first to bring politics into it. My stance remains the same, Ebola doesn't care which political party we belong to.
I knew Kaci wasn't a libertarian when I heard she worked for the CDC. Libertarians don't like government, especially government health care/policy.

I agree Ebola should be non-political.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:21 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The flights coming out of the affected areas are not US carriers. There are no direct/ non stop flights between the affected areas and the U.S. How Would the US shut down flights of non US carriers that fly between the affected areas and their home countries?

Unless something has changed over the weekend , North Koreas ( A free market? A sensible country? ) has taken the strongest stance. Thet are not allowing any inbound flights from anywhere, just in case.

We are all more likely to die of the flu this year. Get a flu shot to reduce the liklihood of getting sick and infected others.
Um hello?

Austrailia just recently Banned flights as well.
your comment about N korea as an example is MOOT.

and also
"US shut down flights of non US carriers"

that part is a NATIONAL SECURITY ISSUE
which the TSA is suppose to be responsible for stopping.

what you are saying is that the bare min security screening is not done then
I mean LOOKING at their passports before they let the ebola countries residents go or not
and figuring if their passports are fake or not? Is that too much to ask?

THIS IS A BASIC duty the airlines security must make on a daily basis.
If they cannot do it then the onus is on them and should be sued by countries all around the world for letting terrorists and illegals in.

Then the airlines become a national security threat.
Because they failed to screen for terrorism and illegals with fake passports.

Thus it is very simple to make them accountable for what they should be doing already.
since they broke protocols and need to pay for all damages afterwards then.

if these airlines and the TSA are not at least doing that they are WORTHLESS FIRE THEM ALL then.
they checking bags for bombs with x-rays etc? how about BULL****
They feel up people but cannot even

check passports? can I call you BSING on this topic?
stop trolling and actually provide a reasonable argument.

sorry I am neither a liberal or neo-conservative
I am a constitutionalist.
so your arguments hold no water against me

I am against part of both parties agendas but I am also for some stances of each party.
too BAD because I am using common sense for this.

no need to be fearful
unless someone is deliberately forcing the fear right?
as is what has been happening with the bad choices made.

airlines have been losing millions because they continue to let those from ebola countries in anyway.
part of the solution has been presented but since you do not want to listen keep sticking your head in the sand.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:58 PM

37,115 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Beyond the R0 Value

Transmission rates were once assumed to approximate a bell curve. However, some super-spreaders can be linked to dozens of cases, while the majority infected few or none. The phenomenon of super-spreading is as important to epidemiologists as the overall R0.

A New Epidemic Model | Proto Magazine
Death can turn an Ebola patient in Africa into a super spreader - at his funeral.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:00 PM

37,115 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
can I LOL at this?

CIA = CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY

see intelligence?
see their job duties = spy on other nations...to gather information
and what are their duties?

So what are the duties of intelligence-SPYING ON PEOPLE TO GATHER INFORMATION
Where do you think information comes from?

anyone care to guess?

wow the amount of ignorance is pro-founding.
please stop trolling

also airborne is all words play isn't it?
sneeze + coughs can transmit it.

also definitions of words are not determined-by just scientists
definitions = by the people themselves.
clarify your own position if you want to for the people.
FYI they consider sneezing and coughing airborne

if it is different express it differently and specifically.

say fine it is airborne but not suspended in air airborne but just sneeze and cough airborne
something like that but more refined.

I already know that you cannot get it from just merely breathing in air unless someone has just sneezed and they have ebola as the droplets are suspended there.

SO the way to safely go about it would be to avoid people sneezing or coughing and dont stand where they would cough/sneeze.
common sense unless.

an accident happens which happens a whole lot.

best practices = copy hong kong + Japan

you see this practice in anime-cartoons from japan
drama shows etc from there.

-so yes we now have to use best practices from CARTOONS as guidelines
-perhaps it would have been best for the CDC to watch some anime/cartoons and they would have thought of this guideline as best practice recommendations

- some people are so conditioned that they cannot think outside the box.

the sick wear masks when going out and about this is a courtesy from the people themselves since they have learned from SARS.
no gov intervention involved the people are just more well mannered apparently.

so when they cough/sneeze it cuts down on the viruses and bacteria they expel to the environment.

WHO = now recently recommending face masks and goggles to medical workers of ebola and no skin exposed
-meaning HAZMAT SUITS

-and also nurses are continuing to defy the CDC guidelines and in fact protesting for hazmat suits to be given to them for use working
we shall see more CDC incompetence soon enough

it may be better for USA to ask sick people to wear facemasks at least to stop people from coughing + sneezing at each other
but many will not because it is not popular here to protect others when you are sick.

also typically doctors/nurses wearing facemasks are not to protect them from exposure
but to prevent them from coughing and sneezing onto you when they are committing an operation surgery
contamination from them to you would be very bad given the exposure.

thus it would be best for those with a flu to wear facemasks where possible this coming winter just in case.
as it would cut down on the spread of the flu as well.

and help with the amount of flu deaths in the USA

like duh... I don't know why we are not better people.(sarcasm)
vain I guess.

and you know what what is preventing ISIS from giving ebola laden food to the homeless and infect them?
this would be very dangerous.

I will repeat ISIS can easily smuggle that in here if we are not careful.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:08 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,521 times
Quote:
Um hello?

Austrailia just recently Banned flights as well.
your comment about N korea as an example is MOOT.

snip
Um Hello? Australia has NOT banned any flights. Besides the fact that there are no direct flights to Australia from any of the affected West African countries, Australia has merely temporarily stopped processing visas from nationals of those countries.

Citizens and permanent residents of Australia are not affected.*

*ETA ... other than by monitoring/quarantine if necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies