Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 11:40 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Aaah no, that's not what I've been saying at all. I'm saying travel bans from infected countries will not work unless you have figured out how to build a mote around your entire country. Indeed; no western nation should impose a travel ban.

You still have yet to address my point of your travel ban, by it's nature, would also preclude your own citizens being allowed to return home if they have travelled through an area of concern.

Those areas of concern for your nut-job, knee-jerk, reactionary travel ban to be effective, would also include any and all international foreign airports, bus stations, as people have been known to interact with luggage porters, washroom facilities, lunch counters, taxi drivers, shoe shine boys, hookers, ticket agents, light switches, door handles.............

C'mon, get real. The skin I have in the game is exactly of the same value and risk as yours. Step back from your hysteria and think about how you're behaving.
So when will you be volunteering to take care of the flyers who come to America to get treated? How much money will you be sending the local hospitals they turn up at? How about the businesses and quarantined people? We have hundreds of those right now. Will you be offering to help pay their bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 11:43 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
While the bipartisan voice grows to ban Ebola victims from entering the United States, a new report claims that President Obama is considering a plan to bring the world’s Ebola patients to the United States to be treated
You can't make this stuff up!
Oh please, the thing the conservative tabloid "media" does best is make up lies about President Obama.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Standby....
While the bipartisan voice grows to ban Ebola victims from entering the United States, a new report claims that President Obama is considering a plan to bring the world’s Ebola patients to the United States to be treated.
Judicial Watch, the conservative public watchdog group, says in a shocking report that the president is “actively formulating plans” to admit Ebola-infected non-citizens just to be treated You can't make this stuff up! Watchdog: Obama to bring non-American Ebola victims to U.S. for treatment | WashingtonExaminer.com
If that happens I hope the nurses and doctors walk off the job.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:49 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
it wont work but they are scared. bare arms and legs and shaking hands is just plain dumb. i got my flu shot at kaiser last week and he shook my hand twice, OMG

Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,020 times
There is no doubt that Obama is responsible for importing Ebola to the US, in addition to lesser known tropical diseases from central American "unaccompanied minors" who have been secretly distributed throughout the US, and also in addition to deliberately sending "boots on the ground" into the worst of the Ebola outbreaks in an evil effort to infect the US military, their dependents, worldwide.

Obama is conducting the largest and most highly targeted germ warfare attack in world history, and it's against the United States.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:51 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
I believe in the statement. A ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. To keep this horrific virus at bay we should use all of our common sense and if one wants to come here from the heavily infected areas , they should be put into isolation for 21 days or close the path that Duncan used to bring Ebola here.

We don't need a global epidemic. We need to fight the disease in Africa without spreading it elsewhere and take every precaution to keep it from going global..

if we become a country full of ebola, how will will help Africa to kill this virus? We need to stay healthy in order to sent the most resources to help Africa beat this thing without infecting ourselves. There should be no option of hindsight in Ebola. It is too serious and too deadly a virus to be opened to being vulnerable in any area.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:53 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
There is no doubt that Obama is responsible for importing Ebola to the US, in addition to lesser known tropical diseases from central American "unaccompanied minors" who have been secretly distributed throughout the US, and also in addition to deliberately sending "boots on the ground" into the worst of the Ebola outbreaks in an evil effort to infect the US military, their dependents, worldwide.

Obama is conducting the largest and most highly targeted germ warfare attack in world history, and it's against the United States.
Obama is out to kill us all. Why Obama, why?!?!

Thousands of Americans die from Ebola every day, and their blood is on Obama's hands. At this rate, Obama will make Hitler look like a philanthropist.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Texas Pres was simply the first, the guinea pig if you will. If Duncan had stumbled into any other hospital and wasn't forthcoming about his travels/Ebola exposure, a similar thing would have happened.
One could say the same thing about just about any hospital in the world, if the walk in was not forthcoming about their travels. In this case, Duncan was forthcoming. No one connected the dots. It's possible that if Duncan arrived on an earlier or later shift dots might have been connected.

A huge lesson for all hospitals here and around the world.

Had Duncan or his GF advocated for themselves and mentioned the dreaded E word, the outcome might have been different. Ignorance? Denial? Fear? Who knows?

On the flip side, a woman in DC vomits in a Pentagon parking lot and lies about having recently traveled to West Africa and all hell broke loose. No telling what motivated this.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:56 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Fox has given air time to many companies that claim they can detect, prevent and maybe even cure Ebola.
Their angle has often been that it's big bad government standing in the way. In many cases, their attempts at this angle have seriously backfired live on the air.

I have no idea if this "software kit" has a solid track record of detecting Ebola in Africa or how extensive testing/use has been. Given the incredible remoteness of the most serious outbreaks in Sierra Leone and Guinea I would be a tad surprised if they have electricity let alone enough thermometers.

That a manufacturer claims does not make it so, or not.

I can, right now, locate dozens of websites that offer secret government tests, vaccinations and cures. Supply is limited. Paypal is accepted.

It's right up there with thousands of websites asking for donations for Ebola relief efforts with quasi legit sounding names.
So why is the military using it, as testing?
I would think they cannot make that claim then if it was not true. otherwise they need to clarify it.

also.
since we now know that the product may be capable of detecting it why not use it.

39-40k per unit seems awfully cheap vs the amount wasted by the government airlines etc with their incompetence.

especially with homeland security etc.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is rank speculation. I tend to think there is something to it, but we can never know. In any case, Texas will serve as an example of what not to do as so often happens. Oh, and maybe you missed it: he was forthcoming about his travels, but being a poor, uninsured, black man in Texas, he was put in a back room while "administration" debated about what to do with him.

I suspect those same administrators would have debated, regardless of his race or financial situation.

At any point in time, the hospital or the county or the state could have thrown their hands up and said, " get him out of here". Speculation on my part that a combination of ignorance, ego, pride and politics played a role in the hospital's eventual decision to attempt to treat Duncan and save face. And of course CDC should have been able to pull some world class Ebola experts, not in Africa, out of their butt and assessed the situation.

It's all 20/20 hindsight at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies