Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2014, 02:24 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because SHE understands how this virus works. She doesn't present any health risks to anyone. She doesn't have any symptoms at this time. That means no health risk. She's self-monitoring because even though she's not sick right now, she could become sick during the incubation period. She's following the WHO guidelines that hundreds and hundreds of returning volunteers have followed. And there's not a single case of a person who followed those guidelines making another person sick. NOT A SINGLE CASE.

The WHO guidelines work. Politicians are trying to fix something that ain't broken. For political reasons. Not because the science says they should.

The WHO guidelines work. Period.
WHO guidelines trump state law in the United States? Are there any other guidelines you know of that have the force of law that deputize individuals to self-enforce them in a manner that contravenes existing state or federal law in the US?

This is really fascinating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I didn't know an order has to be served directly to someone to get them to comply. Perhaps legally that's the case. I don't know I'm not a lawyer. I would think an order passed at the state level was binding by the fact it was passed. If that's the case, and it's not enforced/someone isn't arrested by not following the order, than yes, it's as good as useless.
Passed by whom?

25,838 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I am taking notes. When it's down and dirty for you in the hospital it won't be your friends, it won't be your health insurer, it won't be your mommy and it won't even be the doctor saving your life. It will be a nurse.

You all may want to think about that in your antagonism and hubris. This is the USA. People have to stand up for something. She did and she claims her right as an uninfected person to be free of detainment.

And, you all put her down. Hatred I guess has it's own reward.
My problem with her is she was willing to risk her life to treat Ebola patients in Africa, but she's not willing to give up 21 days of freedom for Americans. Very strange story. Seems like she likes the attention more than anything.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
WHO guidelines trump state law in the United States? Are there any other guidelines you know of that have the force of law that deputize individuals to self-enforce them in a manner that contravenes existing state or federal law in the US?

This is really fascinating.
What state laws say that you can quarantine someone who's tested negative for a disease, who has no symptoms of the disease, and who is not contagious?

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Passed by whom?
The state of Maine:

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/maine-nurs...150958016.html

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Default Obama Says US Can't Seal Itself Off From Ebola

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Pushing to confront Ebola at its West African source, President Barack Obama said Wednesday the United States was not immune to the disease but cautioned against discouraging American health care workers with restrictive measures that confine them upon their return from the afflicted region. "We can't hermetically seal ourselves off," he declared.

Yes we can. Any US citizen that goes there (of their own free will) should enter into a 21 day quarantine PRIOR to boarding any flight out of the region.

People who are from those countries affected should have their visas cancelled until the disease burns itself out.

Yes we can hermetically seal ourselves off. Australia just did it.

Obama lies yet again.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...10-29-16-06-46

Last edited by T-310; 10-30-2014 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My problem with her is she was willing to risk her life to treat Ebola patients in Africa, but she's not willing to give up 21 days of freedom for Americans. Very strange story. Seems like she likes the attention more than anything.
I think it's more complicated than that. To me, it's that she's unwilling to let politics and fear overrule science and the scientific facts. She may like the attention, too, but when she went to West Africa to fight this disease, I suspect that for her it was a mission. And now she's on a mission, again. This time, she wants medical experts, like the WHO, to be making medical decisions. Medical decisions that are based on science and the medical knowledge of Ebola. She doesn't think politicians are the right persons to be making these decisions. From listening to Nurse Hickox's interviews, and reading about her, she strikes me as a very passionate woman who chooses her causes and commits to them completely. She's a crusader. And a month ago, her crusade was to help Ebola patients in West Africa. Today her crusade is to defend healthcare workers from the stigmatization that comes along with politicizing the Ebola crisis.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:32 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
I thought he said it would never get here???

Old 10-30-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The State of Maine hasn't passed a quarantine order against Nurse Hickox.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:36 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
From the CDC, "Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine" which I found very interesting:

Legal Authorities for Isolation and Quarantine | Quarantine | CDC

"Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick."

Notice the key word "EXPOSED", and before someone becomes sick. Hence, the prevention aspect which is where the states are coming down. Given health care professionals, including Kaci the nurse, are suppose to follow the CDC guidelines.....

And the CDC stating that it's the right of a state to take action to quarantine or isolate for the benefit of society. To be read carefully for those talking about abuse of power of a quarantine issued by a state:

"In addition to serving as medical functions, isolation and quarantine also are “police power” functions, derived from the right of the state to take action affecting individuals for the benefit of society."

"States have police power functions to protect the health, safety, and welfare of persons within their borders. To control the spread of disease within their borders, states have laws to enforce the use of isolation and quarantine."

Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies