Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I honestly think your families income has more to do with future success, i don't understand what skin color has to do with it.
Willful ignorance is an example of white privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I have never ever thought in terms of color in my life. But after these ridiculous protests and all this white privilege garbage, it truly is making me hold some resentment to the black community.

The one thing in all this I haven't heard is taking personal responsibility.
Ignoring race is an example of white privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; not just anglo whites getting pissed. Even those Black dudes and ladies who HAVE stepped up and taken care of business have no use the "poor me" Black hood rat tude.

I'm def "white" and things ain't going real well in 2014 but; it's NOT on "society" to feed me and house me unless I'm willing to "put in the pot" like at least volunteering If I wound up on disability.
Once again, black people's attitude has nothing to do with white privilege. Another example of ignoring race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am a white female.

I was born in 1970.

I did graduate high school.....but, not with honors.

Part of our home had dirt floors........that is right......only the kitchen had wood floors and pluming......no bath room.

Tell me about being poor and not having what others had.

I had my first million by my mid-thirties.
Nice story, but this has nothing to do with the topic.

Quote:
I know black men could vote before females.
....in what part of the country....? Clearly you haven't read the history books. Legally voting and actually voting without being lynched are two different things.

Quote:
Many blacks HAVE.
Percentage wise no. How do you expect blacks to erase 400 years of oppression in one generation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:13 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,459,609 times
Meanwhile Stewart makes 70 million /yr. What an ass.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated;36913173[B
]Feel free to cite your grievances. They are numbered.[/b]

Ironic when relating to the Functional Insanity part.

Reminds me of a scene in the film National Security when Martin Lawrence goes of on an anti-white rant and when he is finished he is asked if he truly believes in what he said. His response....I do not know I just start taking and it all comes out. Seems he was channeling a lot of the whitey haters on C-D.

I guess you are another Lucario-in-training to be placed on ignore.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
I can do that and drill a well at the same time.

Now.....only if blacks could understand.
Blacks don't need YOU telling them how to live because you're not going to do one damn thing to fix it.

All you're going to do is sit behind a computer and b*tch and moan about it.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:17 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Blacks don't need YOU telling them how to live because you're not going to do one damn thing to fix it.

All you're going to do is sit behind a computer and b*tch and moan about it.
Sure.....it is entertaining.

I will not "sit" until about 7PM.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louche View Post
Whites work harder. I guess the resulting affluence, passed down through generations, equals 'privledge' in some people's minds. Oh well. *l*
So you must think men work harder than women, and that is why they are paid more for the same jobs? You sound like one of those guys born on third base who thinks he hit a triple.

Oh well.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 AM

156 posts, read 119,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Feel free to cite your grievances. They are numbered.

You are missing the point. White privilege is not economic. Your sentence I underlined is the point. The power structure is created for white men by white men. Barack Obama has more economic privilege than you.. but he is still more likely to be stopped by police than you at night. White privilege is a social privilege that shapes economics.. not the other way around.

No he isn't. And not because he is Barack Obama. It's because of how he presents himself. If you present yourself well, you are less likely to be stopped by someone. If you wear a hoodie and attempt to cover your face you give the presentation of having something to hide. If you just walk around...you are less likely to be stopped.....That being said...are their racist cops that will incesantly stop/harrass black men...absolutely. But that isn't the norm. It isn't systemic...it's a few bad apples that should be fired.

Your argument would be wrong. Clearly you haven't been to the urban ghetto, where poverty and violence is rampant and public schools shut down annually, sending kids through rival gang terroritories.

I have been to an urban ghetto...many times. Clearly you haven't been to south-central Appalachia. Where schools are shut down/consolidated constantly. Kids are bussed 35 miles to school. Most of the kids just quit school all together to mine coal or sell pills. Where drugs run rampant everywhere. Where fist fights break out in the middle of Wal-Mart. We don't have gangs, but we have more than enough negative influences to sway a good person in the wrong direction.

Economic privilege is not the topic here. Like I said, economic privilege doesn't exclude someone like Henry Louis Gates from being arrested in his own home.

It's not the norm. You can cite one-off's all day but it isn't indicative of systemic issues. It's indicative of one d*ck head cop.

The "easy" sentence is a strawman argument. No one is saying all white people have it easy. The point is... white people have certain societal advantages over minorities due to bias.

White trash kids don't have societal benefits. People with money do. Advantages are directly correlated to money. I don't care what argument you try to make to the contrary. It is. Money dictates priviledge. I have priviledges now that I never had growing up. My childhood friend that moved to Charlotte (mixed race kid) was harrased and treated poorly for being a "mutt" when we were young. Not anymore. He now lives in a very nice, very-upscale neighborhood. His kids, despite my personal dislike for this, go to private schools and dress in very nice clothes....They are upstanding kids and are treated with respect in the community. Money has bought their priviledge and it's an easy assumption that they wouldn't have it had it not been for the hard work of their father and the assistance from federal programs that they received when he was younger.
answers in bold

Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Sure.....it is entertaining.
Typical...

Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Well, gee, if white privilege isn't economic then you sure made a poor choice of video to support it because that is exactly what your video said it was.
No, white privilege is not economic. White privilege can result in economic privilege. They are not synonymous. OJ Simpson's white privilege didn't help him get off.. did it?

Quote:
You seriously weaken your argument when you say "X" misses the point while your supporting evidence is saying that "X" is the point.
No, you need to read a little more carefully.

Quote:
And again with supporting evidence that doesn't support what you're saying. Poor behavior got Gates arrested, not white privilege. Obama ended up having to back away from his comments on that situation.
Yea, trying to unjam your front door is poor behavior...

If Gates is white... does the police even get called?

Obama backs away from any racial comments.. because the opposing party's constituency is angry white racists. It is bad politics from his part.

Quote:
You really need to start putting some effort into making smarter choices when attempting to back up your assertions to make sure your links actually do back them up.

That may be what you're trying to say, but that isn't what the evidence you presented says.
Yes, it does.

Quote:
Both of the links contradict rather than support your assertions.
No, they don't. Like I said... if Gates is white, does the police get called?

Quote:
The video in your initial post said that blacks start with a heavier burden due to the economic circumstances they were born into, while the Gates situation says that people jumped to the wrong conclusion and made assumptions that race was involved in a situation where it turned out Gates was in fact attempting to break into his own home and then refused to cooperate with a police officer who was acting appropriately.
Blacks' burden is both societal and economical. They are not mutually exclusive. Barack Obama and Henry Louis Gates don't have white privilege, but have economic privilege. They are still subject to social biases due to skin color.

Race was involved in the situation not from the police officer. The neighbor suspected a break in because they saw two black guys jamming a door. The police officer responded to what was described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Ironic when relating to the Functional Insanity part.

Reminds me of a scene in the film National Security when Martin Lawrence goes of on an anti-white rant and when he is finished he is asked if he truly believes in what he said. His response....I do not know I just start taking and it all comes out. Seems he was channeling a lot of the whitey haters on C-D.

I guess you are another Lucario-in-training to be placed on ignore.
....so you can't cite any of your grievances with the 50 examples? Got it.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
Too late little man. On ignore. WP and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies