Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 07:46 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times

Advertisements

Here are 50 examples of white privilege.

Quote:
1. I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.
2. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.
3. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.
4. I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me.
5. I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed.
6. I can turn on the television or open to the front page of the paper and see people of my race widely represented.
7. When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization," I am shown that people of my color made it what it is.
8. I can be sure that my children will be given curricular materials that testify to the existence of their race.
9. If I want to, I can be pretty sure of finding a publisher for this piece on white privilege.
10. I can be pretty sure of having my voice heard in a group in which I am the only member of my race.
11. I can be casual about whether or not to listen to another person's voice in a group in which s/he is the only member of his/her race.
12. I can go into a music shop and count on finding the music of my race represented, into a supermarket and find the staple foods which fit with my cultural traditions, into a hairdresser's shop and find someone who can cut my hair.
13. Whether I use checks, credit cards or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability.
14. I can arrange to protect my children most of the time from people who might not like them.
15. I do not have to educate my children to be aware of systemic racism for their own daily physical protection.
16. I can be pretty sure that my children's teachers and employers will tolerate them if they fit school and workplace norms; my chief worries about them do not concern others' attitudes toward their race.
17. I can talk with my mouth full and not have people put this down to my color.
18. I can swear, or dress in second hand clothes, or not answer letters, without having people attribute these choices to the bad morals, the poverty or the illiteracy of my race.
19. I can speak in public to a powerful male group without putting my race on trial.
20. I can do well in a challenging situation without being called a credit to my race.
21. I am never asked to speak for all the people of my racial group.
22. I can remain oblivious of the language and customs of persons of color who constitute the world's majority without feeling in my culture any penalty for such oblivion.
23. I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider.
24. I can be pretty sure that if I ask to talk to the "person in charge", I will be facing a person of my race.
25. If a traffic cop pulls me over or if the IRS audits my tax return, I can be sure I haven't been singled out because of my race.
26. I can easily buy posters, post-cards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys and children's magazines featuring people of my race.
27. I can go home from most meetings of organizations I belong to feeling somewhat tied in, rather than isolated, out-of-place, outnumbered, unheard, held at a distance or feared.
28. I can be pretty sure that an argument with a colleague of another race is more likely to jeopardize her/his chances for advancement than to jeopardize mine.
29. I can be pretty sure that if I argue for the promotion of a person of another race, or a program centering on race, this is not likely to cost me heavily within my present setting, even if my colleagues disagree with me.
30. If I declare there is a racial issue at hand, or there isn't a racial issue at hand, my race will lend me more credibility for either position than a person of color will have.
31. I can choose to ignore developments in minority writing and minority activist programs, or disparage them, or learn from them, but in any case, I can find ways to be more or less protected from negative consequences of any of these choices.
32. My culture gives me little fear about ignoring the perspectives and powers of people of other races.
33. I am not made acutely aware that my shape, bearing or body odor will be taken as a reflection on my race.
34. I can worry about racism without being seen as self-interested or self-seeking.
35. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having my co-workers on the job suspect that I got it because of my race.
36. If my day, week or year is going badly, I need not ask of each negative episode or situation whether it had racial overtones.
37. I can be pretty sure of finding people who would be willing to talk with me and advise me about my next steps, professionally.
38. I can think over many options, social, political, imaginative or professional, without asking whether a person of my race would be accepted or allowed to do what I want to do.
39. I can be late to a meeting without having the lateness reflect on my race.
40. I can choose public accommodation without fearing that people of my race cannot get in or will be mistreated in the places I have chosen.
41. I can be sure that if I need legal or medical help, my race will not work against me.
42. I can arrange my activities so that I will never have to experience feelings of rejection owing to my race.
43. If I have low credibility as a leader I can be sure that my race is not the problem.
44. I can easily find academic courses and institutions which give attention only to people of my race.
45. I can expect figurative language and imagery in all of the arts to testify to experiences of my race.
46. I can chose blemish cover or bandages in "flesh" color and have them more or less match my skin.
47. I can travel alone or with my spouse without expecting embarrassment or hostility in those who deal with us.
48. I have no difficulty finding neighborhoods where people approve of our household.
49. My children are given texts and classes which implicitly support our kind of family unit and do not turn them against my choice of domestic partnership.
50. I will feel welcomed and "normal" in the usual walks of public life, institutional and social.
Good luck deflecting these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
I read a few and none of those are white privilege.(Did not continue reading because multiple instances of errors destroy credibility) I though WP meant something else as in accrued advantages due to multi-generational asset accumulation. If the above is how it is being defined then the authors and adherents have questionable critical thinking skills. OOPS! WP on my part according to the above. Common Sense to the rest of the World.

I think we should start a thread on Black(or is that AA) Functional Insanity when people present the above as supposedly serious evidence.

Last edited by Felix C; 10-17-2014 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:50 AM

156 posts, read 119,351 times
I don't like the white priviledge arguement. It's not "White" priviledge...it's economic priviledge. Obviously white people tend to have higher incomes, so that would be tantamount to white priviledge, but the correlation isn't causation. One of the wealthier families in my hometown were Black and their kids had nothing but the best. Here is my case in point about "white priviledge".....I grew up in a trailer-park in South-Central Appalachia. I was raised by a single mother. My father passed away when I was 8 years old. My mom was unemployed. If it took 10 dollars to get around the world, we couldn't have gotten out of Tennessee.

I certainly didn't have "priviledge" growing up. I understand that the "power structure" is overwhelmingly created by white men, but that didn't help me on a personal level. What helped me and my mother were government policies that paid for my mom to go back to school to get a nursing certificate. Food stamps and welfare payouts to bridge the gap. Federal programs and hard work helped us get by when I was younger. My mom received grant money to go to trade school at night to get an LPN certificate. After she earned that, she worked almost 60 hours a week as an LPN at a nursing home to make ends meet. We certainly didn't have priviledge in any capacity. I always worked hard, saved my money, and studied hard to make good grades so that I could get a scholarship and academic assistance. I ended up taking out a few loans but ultimtaely I earned a scholarship and worked my rear-end off while in college and it paid off. I have a great job now, I own my home, and I owe nothing for my education. These experiences shaped me and who I am today...I'm a hard-worker, I'm a Democrat, I'm a realist, and most importantly, I do all that I can to volunteer my time to help mentor people where I live now. All of that came from hard work, help from government programs, a mother that refused to quit, and myself staying on the straight and narrow despite basically all of my friends being involved in either meth or hillbilly herion (oxycontin) in some capacity.

In fact, I'd make the argument that kids that grow up in an urban ghetto have more advantages because they live in an area with greater resources. That being said, I understand the challenges but ultimatley you have to make the decision to avoid the temptations of gang life and drug sales. I had to work to avoid it. My friends were making thousands of dollars selling meth and oxycontin. It is difficult to avoid, but I did...so can they. I'd argue poor white and blacks in Appalachia are the most disenfranchised, disadvantaged people in this country. A lot of the people that grew up where I did worked in some capacity in coal. The coal layoffs now are killing the economy in Appalachia and creating more and more poor people. There is no priviledge there. Not with whites or blacks.

Priviledge is money...and money alone. Whether your white or black or green...priviledge is in your bank account. I understand that more whites have a higher percentage of wealth corresponding to their numbers but it certainly isn't impossible for blacks to get ahead in this country. Calling it white priviledge is 100% misleading because it implies that "whiteness" is the priviledge....not the money. My best friend from home grew up in similiar circumstances to me and he is mixed (white mom, black dad) but he looks considerably more black than white. He had it hard too growing up, but now he is an attorney in Charlotte, NC because he worked his rear-end off. It may be difficult, but it was difficult for me as well. Nothing worth having is easy to get.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:55 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree 100%. But, there is also the fact that, in the not so distant past, blacks were not allowed to work smart, basically. These days it's not so true anymore, but there are still obstacles blacks face that non-Iberian whites don't have to, those namely being that they have stigmas to overcome because of past wrongs and present-day prejudices. Yes, many blacks don't do their community any favors, but why should high achieving blacks be painted with the same brush like a ghetto thug would be? I'm talking about why John Smith would get a job before Tyrone Jefferson, a black man who graduated from the same college as Mr. Smith with a higher GPA. Such things do happen. Even a white owned business is more likely to get contracts or work more often than a minority owned business, statistically speaking. Why? Because the white owner is perceived to do a better job than the minority and not rip the customer off. That's a stigma, and it probably isn't true. Even I have to deal with stigmas myself. Despite the GOP having such rising stars like Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz, I have to overcome the stereotype among conservatives that I'm "assimilated and loyal" to the US, and not an illegal immigrant. Even though on the surface you'd never guess I'm Latino, nobody ever does (even other latinos think I'm from Spain or Italy), but if they see my name on a resume and call me in for an interview or I have some other appointment, I get very surprised looks from the caller because I don't look, sound, or act "Mexican" and I am very well-spoken and cleaned up.
Uh; word is many "minority" customers PREFER to deal with an anglo white owned business because THEY think the whites do better work. That was told to me by an American Indian. So there's def racism AGAINST ""people of color" outfits even BY people of color.

the unbrainwashed: you said something about being half "German", that can go IN your favor.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:01 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I read a few and none of those are white privilege.(Did not continue reading because multiple instances of errors destroy credibility) I though WP meant something else as in accrued advanatages due to multi-generational asset accumulation. If that is what it means then the authors and adherents have questionable critical thinking skills. OOPS! WP on my part according to the above. Common Sense to the rest of the World.
Feel free to cite your grievances. They are numbered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
I don't like the white priviledge arguement. It's not "White" priviledge...it's economic priviledge. Obviously white people tend to have higher incomes, so that would be tantamount to white priviledge, but the correlation isn't causation. One of the wealthier families in my hometown were Black and their kids had nothing but the best. Here is my case in point about "white priviledge".....I grew up in a trailer-park in South-Central Appalachia. I was raised by a single mother. My father passed away when I was 8 years old. My mom was unemployed. If it took 10 dollars to get around the world, we couldn't have gotten out of Tennessee.

I certainly didn't have "priviledge" growing up. I understand that the "power structure" is overwhelmingly created by white men, but that didn't help me on a personal level. What helped me and my mother were government policies that paid for my mom to go back to school to get a nursing certificate. Food stamps and welfare payouts to bridge the gap. Federal programs and hard work helped us get by when I was younger. My mom received grant money to go to trade school at night to get an LPN certificate. After she earned that, she worked almost 60 hours a week as an LPN at a nursing home to make ends meet. We certainly didn't have priviledge in any capacity. I always worked hard, saved my money, and studied hard to make good grades so that I could get a scholarship and academic assistance. I ended up taking out a few loans but ultimtaely I earned a scholarship and worked my rear-end off while in college and it paid off. I have a great job now, I own my home, and I owe nothing for my education. These experiences shaped me and who I am today...I'm a hard-worker, I'm a Democrat, I'm a realist, and most importantly, I do all that I can to volunteer my time to help mentor people where I live now. All of that came from hard work, help from government programs, a mother that refused to quit, and myself staying on the straight and narrow despite basically all of my friends being involved in either meth or hillbilly herion (oxycontin) in some capacity.
You are missing the point. White privilege is not economic. Your sentence I underlined is the point. The power structure is created for white men by white men. Barack Obama has more economic privilege than you.. but he is still more likely to be stopped by police than you at night. White privilege is a social privilege that shapes economics.. not the other way around.

Quote:
In fact, I'd make the argument that kids that grow up in an urban ghetto have more advantages because they live in an area with greater resources. That being said, I understand the challenges but ultimatley you have to make the decision to avoid the temptations of gang life and drug sales. I had to work to avoid it. My friends were making thousands of dollars selling meth and oxycontin. It is difficult to avoid, but I did...so can they. I'd argue poor white and blacks in Appalachia are the most disenfranchised, disadvantaged people in this country. A lot of the people that grew up where I did worked in some capacity in coal. The coal layoffs now are killing the economy in Appalachia and creating more and more poor people. There is no priviledge there. Not with whites or blacks.
Your argument would be wrong. Clearly you haven't been to the urban ghetto, where poverty and violence is rampant and public schools shut down annually, sending kids through rival gang terroritories.

Quote:
Priviledge is money...and money alone. Whether your white or black or green...priviledge is in your bank account. I understand that more whites have a higher percentage of wealth corresponding to their numbers but it certainly isn't impossible for blacks to get ahead in this country. Calling it white priviledge is 100% misleading because it implies that "whiteness" is the priviledge....not the money. My best friend from home grew up in similiar circumstances to me and he is mixed (white mom, black dad) but he looks considerably more black than white. He had it hard too growing up, but now he is an attorney in Charlotte, NC because he worked his rear-end off. It may be difficult, but it was difficult for me as well. Nothing worth having is easy to get.
Economic privilege is not the topic here. Like I said, economic privilege doesn't exclude someone like Henry Louis Gates from being arrested in his own home.

The "easy" sentence is a strawman argument. No one is saying all white people have it easy. The point is... white people have certain societal advantages over minorities due to bias.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
white privilege is spending all day online talking about what "Blacks need to do to make their race better"

Old 10-17-2014, 08:04 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Black people also worked hard throughout history. Harder than whites, except they weren't paid for their hard work half of the time, and the average black person was prevented from moving up the social ladder until the last generation. Yep, spoken like a true right-wing white
Didn't know you were that old. Time will tell if blacks will ever reach the level of success whites have achieved in general.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Didn't know you were that old. Time will tell if blacks will ever reach the level of success whites have achieved in general.
Many blacks HAVE.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:09 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
white privilege is spending all day online talking about what "Blacks need to do to make their race better"
I can do that and drill a well at the same time.

Now.....only if blacks could understand.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You are missing the point. White privilege is not economic. Your sentence I underlined is the point. The power structure is created for white men by white men. Barack Obama has more economic privilege than you.. but he is still more likely to be stopped by police than you at night. White privilege is a social privilege that shapes economics.. not the other way around.
Well, gee, if white privilege isn't economic then you sure made a poor choice of video to support it because that is exactly what your video said it was.

You seriously weaken your argument when you say "X" misses the point while your supporting evidence is saying that "X" is the point.
Quote:
Economic privilege is not the topic here. Like I said, economic privilege doesn't exclude someone like Henry Louis Gates from being arrested in his own home.
And again with supporting evidence that doesn't support what you're saying. Poor behavior got Gates arrested, not white privilege. Obama ended up having to back away from his comments on that situation.

You really need to start putting some effort into making smarter choices when attempting to back up your assertions to make sure your links actually do back them up.
Quote:
The "easy" sentence is a strawman argument. No one is saying all white people have it easy. The point is... white people have certain societal advantages over minorities due to bias.
That may be what you're trying to say, but that isn't what the evidence you presented says.

The video in your initial post said that blacks start with a heavier burden due to the economic circumstances they were born into, while the Gates situation says that people jumped to the wrong conclusion and made assumptions that race was involved in a situation where it turned out Gates was in fact attempting to break into his own home and then refused to cooperate with a police officer who was acting appropriately.

Both of the links contradict rather than support your assertions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies