Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:29 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,950,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by songun View Post
Black males are 9 times as likely as their white counterparts to commit violent crimes; I don't know any other racial group that is so prone to violence. Even though you try to brush it off in your post, you acknowledge this is true, right? So you have black men gunning each other down, skipping out on their children, and a lack of any appreciable savings by the majority of black households. Don't you think this might be the problem?

I don't understand how a whole community of people can see the problem on a daily basis, and just constantly deflect it. It's like if your car broke down on the side of the road, smoke billowing from the hood, and the mechanic comes up and tells you that your tires are bad. You'd say, "No, clearly there's something wrong with the engine. Look right there, smokes coming out." But he just ignores it completely and keeps telling you the tires look a little bald, and they might need a little air.

Well, you know, where there's smoke there's fire...

I have discussed these issues many times over and I am sure I will again, but this does not justify systematic racism which existed long before these issues. I am not deflecting, actually you are because you and others who keep bringing this up refuse to discuss White privilege (THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD), which in essence is systematic racism. What does Black on Black crime have to do with White Privilege (a strong pillar in the foundation of this country)? I believe it is the other way around. You find it acceptable that Black men who served in the military were not given the same benefits as Whites, not too long ago? Do you find it acceptable that Blacks receive harsher prison sentences than Whites for the same crimes? Do you find it acceptable that teachers are more likely to view Black boys as "bad kids" than little white boys? Do you honestly think that the extremely racist history of this country doesn't have a residual effect that still exists? I have a lot to say about black on black crime, poverty, children born out of wedlock and other issues that plague the Black community, but that is NOT what this thread is about. Furthermore, I am not a welfare queen, I have never committed a violent crime, I have never served time in prison and I actually live in a predominately White upper middle class neighborhood, yet my teenage son has been pulled over and stopped by the police for DWB. Try sticking to the topic of the thread, rather than DEFLECTING...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 06:31 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,556,387 times
I guess for some people, Ignorance is bliss.
You can't systemically keep a group of people down for over 200 years then expect them to turn the corner in 40 years. Oh and constantly breaking up there families by throwing The males in jail with a alleged War on drugs.
Me personally, no white person under the age of 40 years old should feel any white guilt, because it wasn't there fault. But they can look towards there parents in their, paid off homes in all white neighborhoods and full pensions and ask, "how does it feel to achieve what you now have with no competition".

Old 10-17-2014, 06:38 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
You can't systemically keep a group of people down for over 200 years then expect them to turn the corner in 40 years.
Me personally, no white person under the age of 40 years old should feel any white guilt, because it wasn't there fault. But they can look towards there parents in their, paid off homes in all white neighborhoods and full pensions and ask, "how does it feel to achieve what you now have with no competition".
Talk about a biased assumption. Most whites do not have that! Ignorance? It's easy to parrot what the mass media tells you. Thinking outside the box is harder.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
I have discussed these issues many times over and I am sure I will again, but this does not justify systematic racism which existed long before these issues. I am not deflecting, actually you are because you and others who keep bringing this up refuse to discuss White privilege (THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD), which in essence is systematic racism. What does Black on Black crime have to do with White Privilege (a strong pillar in the foundation of this country)? I believe it is the other way around. You find it acceptable that Black men who served in the military were not given the same benefits as Whites, not too long ago? Do you find it acceptable that Blacks receive harsher prison sentences than Whites for the same crimes? Do you find it acceptable that teachers are more likely to view Black boys as "bad kids" than little white boys? Do you honestly think that the extremely racist history of this country doesn't have a residual effect that still exists? I have a lot to say about black on black crime, poverty, children born out of wedlock and other issues that plague the Black community, but that is NOT what this thread is about. Furthermore, I am not a welfare queen, I have never committed a violent crime, I have never served time in prison and I actually live in a predominately White upper middle class neighborhood, yet my teenage son has been pulled over and stopped by the police for DWB. Try sticking to the topic of the thread, rather than DEFLECTING...
You have said a lot, and I agree with you 100%. It's just sad that we still have some people who think that black on black crime justifies their bigotry. Yet when a black person like you and I move into white neighborhoods, some whites are shocked, and peed that we worked hard to move there, even though we aren't the stereotype and want pretty much the same as them. Nice schools for our kids to attend and a safe neighborhood. It's as if they want to complain about blacks who fit the stereotype but not be fully accepting of blacks who want the American dream too. So which is it?

Old 10-17-2014, 06:42 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Quote:
You can't systemically keep a group of people down for over 200 years then expect them to turn the corner in 40 years. Oh and constantly breaking up there families by throwing The males in jail with a alleged War on drugs.
Competition may not be the correct word. I say this because white people compete with each other. That's how the idiom keeping up with the Jones was derived. How about getting what they have without racism, discrimination, and laws that reinforced keeping people of a race in their place?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songun View Post
Black criminality and broken homes is nothing new I'm afraid. Violent crime has been committed disproportionately by blacks in the US ever since records of the nature have started. And before you claim that it's because of the "extremely racist history" of this country, you can look at any black community in the world and you'll find similar statistics. Is everyone in the world racist toward blacks, and this somehow makes them violent people? Why are black people powerless to help this?

The Jews seem to be doing absolutely fine, despite the fact that a large percentage of them were starved, beaten, and gassed to death merely 70 years ago. There are still some survivors today. They have a legitimate history of persecution to bemoan, yet they're fine. Yet blacks still complain about indentured servitude, which ended 150 years ago? Do you realize that many of the slaves from Africa actually volunteered to come to the US, because it beat living in their homeland? They agreed to work for x number of years to pay off their passage, at which point they became free, and in some cases owned slaves of their own? I guess you missed that history lesson.

Also, blacks receive harsher sentences than whites because they commit more crime, on a per capita basis. You're trying to compare black and white criminals on a one by one basis, which isn't fair. Black criminals tend to be repeat offenders, which is why they receive harsher sentences. They're also more likely to break probation restrictions than whites.

Black kids get in trouble more often than white kids, so they're punished more often. What's the cause of this? Who knows. Coming from broken homes with no father figure is probably a good starting point. Did you know 73% of black children in this country are born out of wedlock? Not a good start to life.

In your mind, every problem in the black community can be wishy washed away by screaming "racism!". Sadly, this is the attitude that black culture promotes. It's much easier to view yourself as a victim than to actually take real steps to make things better.
You know nothing about my mind. Again this thread is about White privilege and now you're making things up. So what of all the lynchings and rapes against Blacks that Whites were never convicted of? The playing field never had been level...I see where your coming from and you truly are a part of the problem.

In your mind, Black criminals justify racism against all Blacks...we get it. The fact that you would basically say that Blacks have always been violent criminals, all while disregarding racism, says enough about you.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:06 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
There is more passive/aggressive racism in this thread than I can believe.

BTW...Who is systemically keeping a group of people down for over 200 years then expecting them to turn the corner in 40 years?

Links??????

How about white democrats????

Old 10-17-2014, 07:35 PM

156 posts, read 119,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voting4USA View Post
Compare African Americans to Asian Americans.

In the 1800's Blacks were either slaves or sharecroppers. In the 1800's Asians were poor gold miners and railroad workers. Both faced extreme discrimination, and the Anti Chinese immigration act was in place from the 1880's to the 1940's. Lynch mobs of white miners attacked and murdered Chinese immigrants in California, and the police did nothing about it, just like nobody tried to stop the KKK.

In the 1940's Blacks were living in segregation. They had to ride in the back of the bus and could not use the whites' better facilities. But segregation of Asian and white children in California also occurred. And lets not forget that during World War II, Japanese Americans were loaded onto trains and sent to camps, while Blacks were not.

Flash forward 70 years. Japanese Americans aren't demanding affirmative action for having their property stolen. Chinese Americans aren't living in ghettos in poverty, claiming its due to the discrimination they faced in the 1800's. In fact, Asian Americans have become MORE successful than White Americans, and have the highest household income in the country.

Oh, and lets not forget many Chinese immigrants who came in the 60's faced far more than racism. They were sent to death camps by communist governments, bombed by US planes in Vietnam, and died en masse after Mao's farming collectivization. None of them are demanding Whites sacrifice anything to help them out.

I know this since I AM a FIRST GENERATION immigrant.
But but but...white privilege?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voting4USA View Post
Compare African Americans to Asian Americans.

In the 1800's Blacks were either slaves or sharecroppers. In the 1800's Asians were poor gold miners and railroad workers. Both faced extreme discrimination, and the Anti Chinese immigration act was in place from the 1880's to the 1940's. Lynch mobs of white miners attacked and murdered Chinese immigrants in California, and the police did nothing about it, just like nobody tried to stop the KKK.

In the 1940's Blacks were living in segregation. They had to ride in the back of the bus and could not use the whites' better facilities. But segregation of Asian and white children in California also occurred. And lets not forget that during World War II, Japanese Americans were loaded onto trains and sent to camps, while Blacks were not.

Flash forward 70 years. Japanese Americans aren't demanding affirmative action for having their property stolen. Chinese Americans aren't living in ghettos in poverty, claiming its due to the discrimination they faced in the 1800's. In fact, Asian Americans have become MORE successful than White Americans, and have the highest household income in the country.

Oh, and lets not forget many Chinese immigrants who came in the 60's faced far more than racism. They were sent to death camps by communist governments, bombed by US planes in Vietnam, and died en masse after Mao's farming collectivization. None of them are demanding Whites sacrifice anything to help them out.

I know this since I AM a FIRST GENERATION immigrant.
Every minority group has faced it's share of discrimination, but in this country, most Asian Americans are not the descendants of people who were brought here against their will and sold into slavery. Not to mention, Jim Crow laws were written specifically for Blacks. Apples and oranges and yet that still has nothing to do with wether or not White privilege exists. I'm not struggling, not do I consider myself a victim in anyway, yet my son has been pulled over by the police for DWB and I've been called racial slurs. Did it stop me? No but does racism exist? Yes.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:49 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
Well that depends on how you define "success." Are Nigerians the most educated? Yes. Do they have the highest salaries? Nope.
Either way: there's nothing bad about education and/or making good money, just don't tell that to the hood rats because that would mean "blaming honky" ain't the main excuse to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies