Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 02:08 PM

12,061 posts, read 8,464,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
There are more complaints than ever because some white people want to hold onto white privilege. They actively cling to stereotypes to justify their own racism. The double-standards are a problem. Just look at how the Mike Brown protesters are seen vs. the Pumpkin Rioters.
The question was "Does emphasizing racism improve race relations?" If so, how? I'd like to see examples of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 02:11 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,670,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
So why is white privilege and male privilege focused on but not other kinds? More attractive people have privilege (especially women), being a part of the dominant religion gives you privilege, and basically anything that puts you in the majority does as well. Why are people so quick to point out white male privilege before other forms? That doesn't seem very objective does it?

Anytime you categorize people into groups, one will be at a disadvantage compared to the other. As a more introverted guy, I see advantages that extroverted personalities have in society. I could play the victim and have some legitimate arguments about how I'm systematically disadvantaged because of my temperament, but I think it's complete BS. Due to genetics mixed with my upbringing, I'm less outgoing than others, and although none of that is my fault, it's still my responsibility to develop people skills and to be someone people want to be around.

I also understand a bit of evolutionary psychology and find it amusing when people blame society for biological phenomena. People are wired to prefer outgoing and friendly people. I used to be bitter about this because it was difficult for me to act that way, but that's how it is. I had to change.

Apply that to any disadvantaged group. As long as there is no barrier created by the law (nobody is threatening violence and coercion to stop your progress) then you can succeed. Everyone has disadvantages, and many are things they were born into, but unfortunately that's life. It's ultimately up to you to overcome that. It's not fair, but you can either blame others and not get anywhere or decide to do what it takes to overcome your disadvantages.
because it's a white mans world.. well, it was but times are changing and now we are seeing white men and whites in general voice the same concerns others spoke on when they felt like they were the minority.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:33 PM

14,011 posts, read 5,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
White privilege is an easy fact to establish. All one has to do is look at the unemployment rates.

Black Americans with two year associate degrees had an unemployment rate of 8.5% in 2013.

The unemployment rate for black Americans with two year degrees was higher than for every group of white people except high school dropouts(9.7%).

In fact, it's so bad that black Americans with two year associates degrees had an unemployment rate 8.5% that is closer to white high school drop outs(9.7%) than to white people who just graduated high school with no college(6.6%).

There is no explanation for that huge disparity except white privilege and racial discrimination against black Americans.
1) Are all 2 year degrees exactly the same?
2) Were all the jobs applied for the same?
3) Were all other resume factors for all of the applicants the same?
4) Were the number of jobs applied for among all holders of two year degrees the same?
5) Were the job opportunities in each given economy exactly the same?
6) Were the interviewing skills, dress code and non-verbal communications exactly the same?
7) Was the percentage of the job seekers with two year degrees exactly the same as the percentage of the racial breakdown as percent of total population?

There's a whole lot of missing info on the myriad inputs to the system for me to base any sort of sociological or societal conclusion. In fact, I know nothing about inputs except race and very broadly defined education level.

So there could be any number of explanations for the difference in unemployment for two year degree holders other than "White Privilege."
Quote:
And pointing out that disparity is not blaming someone else.

It's pointing out that in the labor market based on skin color alone it's far better to be a white person with a high school diploma and no college(6.6%) than a black person with a two year degree(8.5%), and it's not even close, even though the black person has put in far more schooling.
Your second paragraph contradicts the first.

In paragraph one, you claim you're not blaming anyone. Then in paragraph two, you blame white privilege for a labor market that is biased to skin color based on examining only two inputs and one measure of output.

And still, I know nothing about the inputs other than race and some very broad educational groupings, and really, the educational grouping is so broad and unspecific it's laughable, given how different subjects, different schools, different areas of the country, etc all effect the employment usefulness of any particular level of education.

So essentially, you say "here is how many black people are in America by percent, here is their unemployment compared to others, therefore racist/white privilege!!" If such a lack of fact, evidence and analysis satisfies your intellectual curiosity...cool. It will not however, convince me or anyone who thinks like me where actual proof of a thing is concerned. But feel free to just dismiss me and feel all warm and fuzzy that very few people have the courage to be like me where demanding proof is concerned. It's all good because most people don't care and will just agree to end the conversation. I won't, but what do you care? You live in a world where failure does not belong to an individual, but to unseen forces "out to get them" and that makes for a much more comfy, cozy existence where you win or someone else cheated you. IN such a world, you never lose. My world is far more demanding on me, and scarier a lot of the time because I have no convenient scapegoats. Call that the "white burden" that goes along with our "privilege" I guess. If I fail, I have no cool boogeymen I can assign the blame to. Life without a net I suppose...

Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,306,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
1) Are all 2 year degrees exactly the same?
2) Were all the jobs applied for the same?
3) Were all other resume factors for all of the applicants the same?
4) Were the number of jobs applied for among all holders of two year degrees the same?
5) Were the job opportunities in each given economy exactly the same?
6) Were the interviewing skills, dress code and non-verbal communications exactly the same?
7) Was the percentage of the job seekers with two year degrees exactly the same as the percentage of the racial breakdown as percent of total population?

There's a whole lot of missing info on the myriad inputs to the system for me to base any sort of sociological or societal conclusion. In fact, I know nothing about inputs except race and very broadly defined education level.

So there could be any number of explanations for the difference in unemployment for two year degree holders other than "White Privilege."

Your second paragraph contradicts the first.

In paragraph one, you claim you're not blaming anyone. Then in paragraph two, you blame white privilege for a labor market that is biased to skin color based on examining only two inputs and one measure of output.

And still, I know nothing about the inputs other than race and some very broad educational groupings, and really, the educational grouping is so broad and unspecific it's laughable, given how different subjects, different schools, different areas of the country, etc all effect the employment usefulness of any particular level of education.

So essentially, you say "here is how many black people are in America by percent, here is their unemployment compared to others, therefore racist/white privilege!!" If such a lack of fact, evidence and analysis satisfies your intellectual curiosity...cool. It will not however, convince me or anyone who thinks like me where actual proof of a thing is concerned. But feel free to just dismiss me and feel all warm and fuzzy that very few people have the courage to be like me where demanding proof is concerned. It's all good because most people don't care and will just agree to end the conversation. I won't, but what do you care? You live in a world where failure does not belong to an individual, but to unseen forces "out to get them" and that makes for a much more comfy, cozy existence where you win or someone else cheated you. IN such a world, you never lose. My world is far more demanding on me, and scarier a lot of the time because I have no convenient scapegoats. Call that the "white burden" that goes along with our "privilege" I guess. If I fail, I have no cool boogeymen I can assign the blame to. Life without a net I suppose...

No there is no missing information

The black Americans with two year degrees have a higher unemployment rate 8.5% than white high school grads who didn't even go to college 6.6% by a wide margin, that disparity cannot be explained by your dumb blame black people with two year degree questions, because no matter what a two year degree is better than a high school diploma with no college by a wide margin and in fact what you see is that white people with two year degrees have an unemployment rate of 4.9%.

Which is much lower than than the black unemployment rate of 8.5%.

So again we are left with simple reality that white people with high school diplomas and no college have a significantly lower unemployment rate than bkack people with two year college degrees so you can't say it's less effort, you can't say it's less education, or training, what's left oh black people are still the problem even when they get more education, they still lack something that causes them to have a much higher unemployment rate than white high school grads.

This is clear proof of racism, white skin privilege.

Again the only thing that explains this disparity

Old 10-22-2014, 03:09 PM

14,011 posts, read 5,655,635 times
Quote:
No there is no missing information

The black Americans with two year degrees have a higher unemployment rate 8.5% than white high school grads who didn't even go to college 6.6% by a wide margin, that disparity cannot be explained by your dumb blame black people with two year degree questions, because no matter what a two year degree is better than a high school diploma with no college by a wide margin and in fact what you see is that white people with two year degrees have an unemployment rate of 4.9%.

Which is much lower than than the black unemployment rate of 8.5%.

So again we are left with simple reality that white people with high school diplomas and no college have a significantly lower unemployment rate than bkack people with two year college degrees so you can't say it's less effort, you can't say it's less education, or training, what's left oh black people are still the problem even when they get more education, they still lack something that causes them to have a much higher unemployment rate than white high school grads.

This is clear proof of racism, white skin privilege.

Again the only thing that explains this disparity
You could save yourself typing with the following:

"I don't care about facts or proper logic, you're racist, and white privilege!!"

Or at least add it as a tl;dr.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:58 PM

6,267 posts, read 5,081,896 times

Racism Insurance: Coverage for White Privilege - YouTube

Old 10-23-2014, 12:41 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,908,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
[/b]

This my friends, is a desperate argument of semantics.

Thank you for proving our point.

Point them out in this thread.

If you can, I let the rest of your strawman argument slide.
No, not really bub. It's an argument of fact! I proved your claim to be wrong. We are talking about the present, not the past!

Old 10-23-2014, 02:17 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,306,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You could save yourself typing with the following:

"I don't care about facts or proper logic, you're racist, and white privilege!!"

Or at least add it as a tl;dr.
You brought nothing to the table.

In the face of these kinds of huge racial disparities a person has a choice to make.

One choice sees that black Americans with two year degrees have a much higher unemployment rate than white high school grads with no college and seeks to find out what's wrong with black Americans with two year degrees that's causing this disparity. Go with the old tried and true the black race is the problem approach.

The other choice is to deal with reality.

You picked the hey the black race is the problem approach. Not going to pretend otherwise.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,919,730 times
I will ask one simple question. If blacks are being discriminated in employment why does not an undiscriminating employer hire blacks and reap the benefit from having better workers than his competition at a lower cost?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:23 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,436,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Here's my take on white privilege.

Yes, it exists. It would honestly be a bit idiotic to say it's simply not real.

But is it the problem with everything? No. It's not an all powerful force (anymore). As O'Riley said, if you work hard, you will be successful. This is true regardless of ones background. Stewart however is still correct because someone who is born black is likely going to have a harder time achieving that success simply because they are black. Now, the real reason is a lack of opportunity. Statistically, a black person is less likely to have the opportunity to achieve than a white person.

However, going back to support O'Riley, being a certain race isn't actually the problem. Most people today won't not hire someone because they're black. Sure, there are some still alive but they also think the confederacy will make a comeback, so evolution will deal with them in due time. However, we need to ask why blacks don't have these opportunities, and it really comes down to poverty. Why are more black people in poverty? And this is where Stewart becomes correct again: it's the ghost of Jim Crow. Because of the limitations of black Americans in the past, it's what led them to where they are today.

O'Riley is still correct, and I think Stewart recognizes this but many liberals don't, working hard is important and that's what determines one's success; not their race or gender or anything else. So why are black people struggling? I am convinced that there are just as many young Black Americans living in the ghettos of Chicago with the same ambition and ability as the white kids growing up in whatever suburb you want to use for the example, but there's is not a proportional amount of opportunity. The white kids have the opportunity the black kids don't. That's white privilege.

And yes, I'm a liberal, but I actually like Bill O'Riley. I don't always agree with him, but as far as news anchors go, I like him. He's fairly honest but very biased, but he's not alone. He's at least usually pretty reasonable, and I'd say he's extremely intelligent and even when I disagree with him, he raised good points. He's, as John said, the Pope Francis of Fox News. Bill O'Riley is basically what Shawn Hannity thinks Shawn Hannity is.
Great post and well around good points. But people saying white privilege doesn't exists is like saying women have the same privileges as men especially in the workforce when that is not true. It has been proven that women throughout time have continued to earn less than men. Same as non white people continue to have higher unemployment and less opportunity than whites. Someone that continues to ignore those facts regarding gender or race is in denial all around, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies