Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 07:27 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I will ask one simple question. If blacks are being discriminated in employment why does not an undiscriminating employer hire blacks and reap the benefit from having better workers than his competition at a lower cost?
I would not hire cheaper blacks for that reason.

If they are poor workers........they can be almost impossible to fire.

They will cry racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 07:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You brought nothing to the table.

In the face of these kinds of huge racial disparities a person has a choice to make.

One choice sees that black Americans with two year degrees have a much higher unemployment rate than white high school grads with no college and seeks to find out what's wrong with black Americans with two year degrees that's causing this disparity. Go with the old tried and true the black race is the problem approach.

The other choice is to deal with reality.

You picked the hey the black race is the problem approach. Not going to pretend otherwise.
The output numbers you look at are so broad and generalized they are statistically meaningless. I can point you to an industry and economy in the US where blacks with only high school educations make vastly more than whites/Asians with 4 year Ivy league degrees. If you look at just race and education level, the NBA is a sterling example of black privilege, using the EXACT SAME CRITERIA you use to "prove" white privilege.

No other inputs factors, just race and education vs a single employment number. Done. I just used your "logic" to prove black privilege. Since you require no other further examination of the inputs and numerous other possible data points to hold onto your "proof" of white privilege, I clearly have no need of further examination of the inputs and numerous other possible data points to hold onto my "proof" of black privilege.

Everyone knows high schoolers who are black get paid more than white people with college degrees. Just look at the NBA, all the proof you need.

No other way to explain the race/education/salary disparity in the NBA other than Black Privilege (to paraphrase your defense of your proof of white privilege). Just no other possible way to explain it.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:10 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Great post and well around good points. But people saying white privilege doesn't exists is like saying women have the same privileges as men especially in the workforce when that is not true. It has been proven that women throughout time have continued to earn less than men. Same as non white people continue to have higher unemployment and less opportunity than whites. Someone that continues to ignore those facts regarding gender or race is in denial all around, period.
The thing is...when all things are equal, women actually make slightly more than men on average. The reason that "77 cents for every dollar a man makes" statistic exists is because of a couple factors.

1. Women take time off of work when they have kids, and they continue to take days off when the kids are sick. They also tend to go home right at 3 or 4 or whenever the kids are done with school. The people staying late are going to have a better chance of getting a promotion or pay raise.

Another thing to consider is that if a woman gets married, they likely know they'll be having kids soon, so they don't strive to make it to the top of their field. It takes a lot of time and dedication that they won't have when they have kids to worry about, so they won't be as likely to go for it.

2. Many women simply don't go for the high paying jobs. They'll be teachers, nurses, social workers, retail management, etc. (and there are still women who aren't as career oriented because they plan on marrying a guy with a good job, although that's becoming less likely I think). They might have good paying jobs, but men are often the ones going for the top level engineering, software development/programmer, business executive/owner, stock broker, etc. type jobs.

Statistically, if women stay single or don't get married, don't have kids, and get the same degree as a man, they actually make a bit more on average. Married men also make more than single men on average, but nobody believes that single men are discriminated against. This is why I'm always skeptical when people say "the statistics say _____, so that proves discrimination." Its easy to come to the wrong conclusions if other factors aren't accounted for.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:57 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,466,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
no one is saying whites don't have problems... lol.

white privilege is being able to watch the news, see a white person in handcuffs and know America won't say "all whites are criminals"

How many times has someone come up to out of the blue to tell you how they feel about President Clinton or President Bush...not because you have a button on supporting them but just because you were white and they felt like telling you would somehow get the message back to the President.

White privilege doesn't mean you live in the land of milk and honey... just means you don't have to deal with the extra baggage of "your people" anytime an individual of your race does something wrong.
Read what I was responding to - I was responding to someone saying "you don't know what it is like unless you've experienced it"

I don't need an explanation of what white privilege is. I made no comment about white privilege. I made a comment about the attitude people take that they are some kind of special victim suffering some uniquely terrible experience that nobody else can possibly understand.

If you're experiencing something that someone else can't understand, that means the other person is experiencing something you can't understand. That's all I said.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:46 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
The output numbers you look at are so broad and generalized they are statistically meaningless. I can point you to an industry and economy in the US where blacks with only high school educations make vastly more than whites/Asians with 4 year Ivy league degrees. If you look at just race and education level, the NBA is a sterling example of black privilege, using the EXACT SAME CRITERIA you use to "prove" white privilege.

No other inputs factors, just race and education vs a single employment number. Done. I just used your "logic" to prove black privilege. Since you require no other further examination of the inputs and numerous other possible data points to hold onto your "proof" of white privilege, I clearly have no need of further examination of the inputs and numerous other possible data points to hold onto my "proof" of black privilege.

Everyone knows high schoolers who are black get paid more than white people with college degrees. Just look at the NBA, all the proof you need.

No other way to explain the race/education/salary disparity in the NBA other than Black Privilege (to paraphrase your defense of your proof of white privilege). Just no other possible way to explain it.
Lol your logic is horrible. pro sports has nothing to do with the board U.S. labor market.

That's really supposed to refute unemployment stats for millions of Americans that show consistenly more educated white people have far less unemployment than less educated white people

More educated groups of people have less unemployment than less educated groups this is true across the board.

Except for black Americans who consistently have much higher rates of unemployment across the board than less educated white people

And your feeble pathetic response to those devastating stats is pro sports? Lol

Why do I even bother, conservatives never have any rational point. SMH

Old 10-24-2014, 04:34 AM

6,395 posts, read 6,282,580 times
For those who need proof of white privilege, just become friends with a black person in your demographic and go about your life doing every daily activity with him or her (eg, driving, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, clothes shopping, gym, bank, playground, walking through park, etc).

Do this for just one month. If you do not experience ANY different treatment, then please come back and report.

It won't happen. I guarantee it. Or you are just not paying attention.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:59 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
^^That is not WP that is negative stereotypes created by blacks coming home to roost. Just like the anti-white loons here reinforce opinion that there is something incredibly wrong with their critical thinking processes. But you know, folk will not listen because blacks only listen to blacks and will not have a white man tell them what to do even if it is right.

NB: Of course even blacks such as Bill Cosby who do state what needs to be done to created a successful career path are ignored because it does not fit into the bizarro societal model created by blacks unto themselves.

Last edited by Felix C; 10-24-2014 at 05:23 AM..

Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,439,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
For those who need proof of white privilege, just become friends with a black person in your demographic and go about your life doing every daily activity with him or her (eg, driving, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, clothes shopping, gym, bank, playground, walking through park, etc).

Do this for just one month. If you do not experience ANY different treatment, then please come back and report.

It won't happen. I guarantee it. Or you are just not paying attention.
Or, if you're a white person, make friends with a Chinese person, move to China and do the same and likely encounter similar attitudes. Or, as a white person, make friends with a black person and do all the things you mentioned in majority black areas. Same thing, you'll probably get different (and less than favorable) treatment. This is the only sense in which any kind of racial privilege exists: when you are a member of the majority group, it makes social interaction easier. I've seen little evidence that those who oppose what they see as white privilege are interested in the privileges other races enjoy when they are the majority. The focus is always on whites. This is why this leftist concept is fundamentally anti-white. I think the leftists are unwittingly arguing against racial integration when they keep bringing up white privilege, because the only other remedy suggested is anti-white racism in the form of systematic anti-white discrimination.

The leftists would have us believe the whole world were color blind, except for white people. This is nonsense. The proper way to respond to it is to point out that whites are a global minority. Whichever race happens to have privilege in a given context depends entirely on who's the majority. And just as blacks, Hispanics, Asians, etc., unabashedly promote their own interests, it's high time white people wake up and realize we have ethnic interests too and advocate for our own.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:42 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,255,779 times

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** note: inline linking did not violate US copyright law. see Perfect 10, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:39 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I would not hire cheaper blacks for that reason.

If they are poor workers........they can be almost impossible to fire.

They will cry racism.
^^^^^ See this is perfect proof.

And no, I don't work for below market value even though I know plenty of white business owners trying to low ball me for ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
** note: inline linking did not violate US copyright law. see Perfect 10, Inc. v. Amazon.com, Inc.
Where did anyone claim John Stewart was news? LOL it is on comedy central for crying out load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The question was "Does emphasizing racism improve race relations?" If so, how? I'd like to see examples of this.
That question was actually never asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You could save yourself typing with the following:

"I don't care about facts or proper logic, you're racist, and white privilege!!"

Or at least add it as a tl;dr.
No basically the facts were presented to you that blacks with higher education have higher unemployment than whites. You plugged your ears and said it doesn't prove anything.

This just confirms what I said pages ago... we don't bother trying to "prove" anything to someone who won't accept the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies