Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 07:48 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times

Advertisements

privilege
the old eddy murphy argument. i am not affluent bek i work hard and save money, its bek i am white and lucky
the fact that when i came here i had already known more poverty than most ghetto people is a non issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,844,280 times
I foresee WP will be the latest trend among blacks to explain their failures for another generation.

More like White Man's Burden to listen to their crap.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:54 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Here's my take on white privilege.

Yes, it exists. It would honestly be a bit idiotic to say it's simply not real.

But is it the problem with everything? No. It's not an all powerful force (anymore). As O'Riley said, if you work hard, you will be successful. This is true regardless of ones background. Stewart however is still correct because someone who is born black is likely going to have a harder time achieving that success simply because they are black. Now, the real reason is a lack of opportunity. Statistically, a black person is less likely to have the opportunity to achieve than a white person.
That is a strawman. No one said it is an all powerful force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
However, going back to support O'Riley, being a certain race isn't actually the problem. Most people today won't not hire someone because they're black. Sure, there are some still alive but they also think the confederacy will make a comeback, so evolution will deal with them in due time. However, we need to ask why blacks don't have these opportunities, and it really comes down to poverty. Why are more black people in poverty? And this is where Stewart becomes correct again: it's the ghost of Jim Crow. Because of the limitations of black Americans in the past, it's what led them to where they are today.

O'Riley is still correct, and I think Stewart recognizes this but many liberals don't, working hard is important and that's what determines one's success; not their race or gender or anything else. So why are black people struggling? I am convinced that there are just as many young Black Americans living in the ghettos of Chicago with the same ambition and ability as the white kids growing up in whatever suburb you want to use for the example, but there's is not a proportional amount of opportunity. The white kids have the opportunity the black kids don't. That's white privilege.
O'Riley's tangent about working hard is a strawman argument. That tangent has nothing to do with white privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I foresee WP will be the latest trend among blacks to explain their failures for another generation.

With that sort of thinking, you give reason to. Denying white privilege is denying reality and progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
It exists, but I don't think it is the all-encompassing force some make it out to be.
Who is making it out to be an all-encompassing force?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
being white, I do not feel privileged. probably more because of being a veteran than anything else. anything else that I have gotten is because of my hard work and my sound investment in both the stock market and my former business.
You are fixating on the word "privilege" and misinterpreting the discussion. It is not about you personally feeling privilege. It is being awarded societal privileges because you have white skin. You are not subjected to cultural biases. You are not a permanent liason for your entire race.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 AM

^^Ignore list and all that.

Last edited by Felix C; 10-20-2014 at 08:08 AM..

Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Ignore list and all that.
Plug your ears, ignore, and crawl back into your conservative bubble. You have the privilege to do that, unlike minorities.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:00 AM

^^Blah blah worthy no doubt. Cue Martin Lawrence in National Security during/after his anti-white rant.

The WMB is thick today. White Man's Burden has a nice ring to it.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:41 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
So I have to ask...

Do people simply want to point out that some groups have privilege, or do they want something done about it (and if so, what)?

I can agree that privilege exists, although it applies to more than just whites and males, but I don't think anyone is owed anything because they were born into a worse situation. If people want to help them, good. I just hope the idea isn't to pass laws that force others to do it.

Side note: I also think it infantilizes certain groups by claiming they can't help themselves. Blacks don't need whites to succeed. Women don't need men to succeed. They are as capable as anyone else.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songun View Post
So let me get this straight. Black people need white people to accept them more, and this is the reason that they tend to be poorer, commit more violent crime, drop out of school, come from fatherless homes, etc?

Are blacks powerless to solve any of these problems on their own? They need whites to fix it for them? It certainly sounds like what he's saying. How about... just stop killing each other, stay in school, and stay home and raise your kids? I think that's a good start.

Stewart is a bigot, albeit you can classify this as "soft racism" for implying that blacks depend on whites for their well being.
This.^

Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,428,118 times
Quote:

I beg to differ. I think a certain class of blacks may continue to use the race card because they simply can. But the overwhelming majority of blacks today fully understand that by working hard, and getting a good education would lead to more opportunities than by just sitting at home and blaming the quote unquote white man for keeping them down.

The only person who keeps anyone down is oneself in my opinion. I do have a problem with some whites who seem to think that ALL black people use the race card to justify racism that they have truly experienced. But I am sure that there are white people who have experienced racism from black people as well. I have been taught that green is the only color that matters in the USA. So if you are black, white, brown or yellow, if you have that green dollar, then that's what talks and everything else walks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies