Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 10:22 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How so ? Republicans have more members in congress and control more total positions within the state legislatures.

Also being for or against big government( which is an opinion i might add), has nothing to do with opportunity.
Obviously to the extent that either party holds more seats, they have more opportunities for corruption. At the same time, if you're in a high tax, high spend state like NY, IL, or CA (all D-dominated) you have more opportunities. Also, if you are a pro-tax, pro-spend Democratic legislator in the US Congress, even though you are in the minority, your opportunities would be in theory higher because you are the natural ally of the lobbyist who wants to tap into all that gov't money. The same goes for corporatist Republicans, of course. If you're a true blue limited gov't conservative, your opportunities for corruption are going to be greatly reduced (not to say zero). That should be self evident.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:09 AM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
When its a Democrat, Republicans seem to act like no Republican has ever been brought up on corruption charges.
Maybe you're hanging around with the wrong Republicans.

In my neck of the woods NONE of my R friends have any tolerance for corrupt politicians.

Of course, I live in NJ so it stands to reason that we wish the worst fate possible for corrupt politicians.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:21 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Obviously to the extent that either party holds more seats, they have more opportunities for corruption. At the same time, if you're in a high tax, high spend state like NY, IL, or CA (all D-dominated) you have more opportunities. Also, if you are a pro-tax, pro-spend Democratic legislator in the US Congress, even though you are in the minority, your opportunities would be in theory higher because you are the natural ally of the lobbyist who wants to tap into all that gov't money. The same goes for corporatist Republicans, of course. If you're a true blue limited gov't conservative, your opportunities for corruption are going to be greatly reduced (not to say zero). That should be self evident.

Opportunity = ability

ideology(which is your opinion, not fact) has nothing to do with ability.

So in short you are wrong, Republicans indeed have more opportunity.

Also, While New York is the Highest tax state, California is all the way down at 17th , Illinois is 29th.

I know you dislike those left of center, but you base all your argument on biased perceptions instead of actual facts.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Maybe you're hanging around with the wrong Republicans.

In my neck of the woods NONE of my R friends have any tolerance for corrupt politicians.

Of course, I live in NJ so it stands to reason that we wish the worst fate possible for corrupt politicians.
Or maybe i just read the post on this forum.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
When its a Democrat, Republicans seem to act like no Republican has ever been brought up on corruption charges.
I always get a kick out of that. It is amazing how blind some conservatives are to the corruption in the Republican party. At least liberals are aware there are sometimes corrupt people in the Democrat party.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:40 AM

23,563 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ouch that will leave a mark.

As I say when the Republicans crow about a Democrat being bad, its just a flip of the coin. This is their turn.
Both parties have their cancers as the tolerance of government waste by taxpayers is hyge and attractive to people with failed ethics as a good risk feeding trough.

Have to say though the CA legislator that was campaigning vorciferously for firearms restrictions and was caught selling automatic weapons to anyone with cash is the 'man bites dog' story that the media craves but somehow dropped from the front pages.

A state politician abusing funds for personal gain is a dime a dzozen story. How many have not yet been discovered on both sides of the aisle.

Even when you hide 90K in your feezer, forget to pay taxes like Charlie rangel, former tax code gatekeeper or tim geithner, once you hold office the wheels of justice grind sooo slooow it appears to not grind at all.

glad they caught the guy now go out and find the rest, they will be wearing large letters...either a D or an R.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Any explanation as to why the indictment comes just before the Nov elections? Wouldn't it be a no-brainer to wait until after the election? We all know that politically motivated indictments are one of the oldest tricks in the book.
The prosecutor in Lee County is a Republican, the State Attorney General(who is a republican) recused himself, but a Republican took his place for this investigation, the State reps he turned in evidence and testimony against him are all Republicans.

Quote:
If I'm a righteous prosecutor I'm going to bend over backwards to avoid even the appearance of political motive, and this timing does just the opposite.
Thats funny, because to me, waiting till after the election would look like a political motive. Then the speaker would already be back in his seat.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Both parties have their cancers as the tolerance of government waste by taxpayers is hyge and attractive to people with failed ethics as a good risk feeding trough.

Have to say though the CA legislator that was campaigning vorciferously for firearms restrictions and was caught selling automatic weapons to anyone with cash is the 'man bites dog' story that the media craves but somehow dropped from the front pages.

A state politician abusing funds for personal gain is a dime a dzozen story. How many have not yet been discovered on both sides of the aisle.

Even when you hide 90K in your feezer, forget to pay taxes like Charlie rangel, former tax code gatekeeper or tim geithner, once you hold office the wheels of justice grind sooo slooow it appears to not grind at all.

glad they caught the guy now go out and find the rest, they will be wearing large letters...either a D or an R.
Mike Hubbard campaigned on cleaning up Montgomery(meaning state politics and corruption) so this is indeed the same kind of story as the CA legislator you mentioned.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:46 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
And when its a republican democrats act the same way . Just another way to divide people

Old 10-21-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
And when its a republican democrats act the same way . Just another way to divide people
Having seen multiple threads on this issue, i would have to disagree.

I mean, look at this very thread and the comments by Wutitz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies