Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 PM

556 posts, read 622,979 times

Advertisements

Here in NY Governor Cuomo disbanded the investigation unit before it could do harm to the system.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:08 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It would be interesting to see some studies on this. I can't find any that compare along either party line or ideological lines, but there have been attempts to measure corruption by state:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/14/we...arsh.html?_r=0

Rankings by state appears to me to be a mixed bag with little rhyme or reason. Midwest and plains states (other than IL) tend to rank low in corruption. The high ranking states are all over the map, R.I., OK, and LA are all pretty high and would seem to have little in common otherwise. Also corruption metrics are obviously a complicated question.

In my county we have not one but two former sheriff's deputy doing time for murder, both collecting police disability pensions from taxpayers. It's all aboveboard, legal, and in accordance with their duly signed union contract. But to me it's a corrupt deal--I call it 'institutional corruption.' And it would be very difficult to measure.
Yes,Illinois is very corrupt..D and R alike..we have had one Sheriff get life x2,a chief deputy from a different county convicted of statutory rape,Govs on both sides doing time,every city clerk in the area doing time or headed to jail,one Sheriff's dept just busted 4 of their own stealing bail money(some of what was missing was MY money from bailing a relative out)..D and Rs alike...no honor at all.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:04 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I always get a kick out of that. It is amazing how blind some conservatives are to the corruption in the Republican party. At least liberals are aware there are sometimes corrupt people in the Democrat party.

The difference is, Republicans don't defend and try and justify their actions. They get the axe and thrown under the bus immediately, by their own party. Accountability.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:07 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,897,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Ouch that will leave a mark.

As I say when the Republicans crow about a Democrat being bad, its just a flip of the coin. This is their turn.

And then there is Eric Holder.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:10 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Today, the Speaker of the House was arrested on 23 Class B felony counts of ;

Four counts of using of his office as Chairman of the Alabama Republican Party for personal gain;

One count of voting for legislation with a conflict of interest;

Eleven counts of soliciting or receiving a thing of value from a lobbyist or principal;

Two counts of using his office as a member of the Alabama House of Representatives for personal gain;

Four Counts of lobbying an executive department or agency for a fee;

One count of using state equipment, materials, etc. for private gain.

He faces a maximum of 20 years in prison and and a fine of $690,000

Alabama House Speaker Mike Hubbard indicted on 23 felony corruption charges by Lee County Grand Jury | AL.com

The saddest part is ,this isnt over.

Alabama lawmaker Greg Wren takes plea deal, will cooperate with state corruption investigation | AL.com

Rep. Barry Moore arrested for felony perjury in Lee County in Alabama State House corruption case (updated) | AL.com

It seems they are rolling on each other.
Good.

They've earned it.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:10 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times
alabama got some of the best politicians money can buy

Old 10-22-2014, 02:05 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Map: Tax Freedom Day by State, 2013 | Tax Foundation

There are many different ways to measure taxation and to rank states. So the numbers are actually closer to being 'perception' than 'fact.' Here is a list of states by 'tax freedom day.' This is basically the pct. of the work year that the average resident must devote to paying his/her tax bill. NY ranks #2, IL #4, and CA #6. Before you accuse someone of not basing an argument on "actual facts," make sure you understand the definition of "actual facts."
the link you posted shows days that need to be worked to achieve tax freedom. All but 5 states are in April. The difference between 50 and 25 is 2 weeks, your link does not even talk about its methodology. Do some dates have holidays that would obviously extend their times by a number of days or things like that.

in short, what you posted is a list that is arbitrary without context.

The list i used actually calculated taxes.

CNN/Money: Taxes state by state

So yes, i understood the definition of actual facts, its you who seemed not to.

Quote:
Further, even if these three states were ranked 48, 49, and 50, it would not invalidate my argument.
No, it wouldnt have because your argument was already long invalidated.

Quote:
A politico on the left side of the aisle, who favors high taxation/high spending has an inherently greater opportunity to divert resources where they should not go. Not only are they dealing w/ more money, more lobbyists, and more players, as gov't gets bigger, it gets more complicated, and a dirty deal becomes that much easier to hide.
Opportunity = ability, not ideals.

You can want to swim across the ocean, it doesnt mean you actually have the ability to do it.

And further more, you are wrong on Democratic ideals, but that is a subject for another thread.

However the argument that republicans dont have the opportunity to do it is completely wrong as they clearly are( the links in the OP)

Quote:
With a bare bones gov't, not only is there less money to work with, but it is harder to bury a deal within layers of bureaucracy, simply because there are less layers of bureaucracy.
If you believe that, then why are you a Republican or at the very least, why do you support them. You had When Republicans controlled the US government from 2002 to 2006, You grew government and created an entirely new bureaucracy with DHS.

You can call yourselves small government until the cows come home, but actions speak louder than words.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,567 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Be honest the Dems act the same way when it is a Republican. Hardliners only care about their party staying in power and are always willing to make excuses for when their party chokes. Look no further than the excuses made for Obama and his obvious lies. Look no further than the excuses made for GWB.
Neither Barack Obama or GWB have been indicted for corruption charges.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Neither Barack Obama or GWB have been indicted for corruption charges.
Uhmmm...because neither one has done anything thats corrupt.

I mean hey, i am no fan of GWB, but he wasn't corrupt, and he was trying to always do the right thing near as I can tell.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:28 PM

595 posts, read 368,767 times
The Hubbard indictment doesn't surprise me, rumors here have swirled for months about Hubbard being indicted for corruption. Corruption is equal opportunity for everyone, both Republicans in charge in AL now, and the Democrats (previously in charge) have had rife corruption. Unfortunately, despite all the complaints, in about two weeks everyone people complain about being corrupt, or bought by lobbyists will be reelected into office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies