Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 11:15 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
There have been a number of instances of non-citizens voting particularly in southern FL. They all have photo ID. So nothing is presently proposed that would prevent them from voting.

And in general the right is not terribly interested in this problem in that many if not all of these non-citizen voters are Cuban who tend to vote for the GOP.

It is also a difficult problem and would require a new approach like a citizenship card or a passport to fix. The right does not want to go there. The right wishes to cut off the elderly and poor...who tend to vote Democratic.
And where do the Democrats stand on the issue? Mostly denying it even exists. I would support a politician who wanted to do something tangible to protect our voting process. I don't have an issue with Voter ID per se. I simply think it's not enough to do anything significant. The registration process is wide open for fraud since most states do not even make people prove citizenship to register. The absentee ballot system could be exploited terribly. The lack of cross checking between states and even intra-state between precincts. These are all things which need to be addressed. The Republicans aren't doing enough and the Democrats are unwilling to even admit there's a problem. I think everyone should be concerned about this but time and again, I find either apathy or denial. Quite sad.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but voting matters to me. So protecting my vote matters to me as well. It is my voice in my own government and maybe it's a small and insignificant voice but it's what I have and to see it diluted due to illegally cast votes is something I simply cannot stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 07:12 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I know ... !!! They have found at least 2 in the last decade, huh?
In Jacksonville, earlier this year an election was won by 2 votes.

Fant wins District 15 race by two votes | www.actionnewsjax.com

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The race for House District 15 is over.
After a manual recount, election leaders said Jay Fant defeated Paul Renner by two votes in the Florida Primary election.
The final tally: 5,962 votes for Fant, 5,960 for Renner.
Fant had a three vote lead after Tuesday night, but after a machine and manual recount, the lead got whittled down to two.
In the Duval County School Board District 2 race, the recounts showed Sam Hall with a four vote win over Theresa Graham for a spot in a runoff. Hall will face Scott Shine in November.
- See more at: Fant wins District 15 race by two votes | www.actionnewsjax.com

Individual votes do count, Bob, but thanks for playing.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:14 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,303,952 times
Default //www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/2228154-study-says-large-numbers-illegals-voting-5.html#post

Oops.

Last edited by buddy5; 10-26-2014 at 07:16 AM.. Reason: Early signs of dementia should not be overlooked.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:15 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
In Jacksonville, earlier this year an election was won by 2 votes.

Fant wins District 15 race by two votes | www.actionnewsjax.com

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — The race for House District 15 is over.
After a manual recount, election leaders said Jay Fant defeated Paul Renner by two votes in the Florida Primary election.
The final tally: 5,962 votes for Fant, 5,960 for Renner.
Fant had a three vote lead after Tuesday night, but after a machine and manual recount, the lead got whittled down to two.
In the Duval County School Board District 2 race, the recounts showed Sam Hall with a four vote win over Theresa Graham for a spot in a runoff. Hall will face Scott Shine in November.
- See more at: Fant wins District 15 race by two votes | www.actionnewsjax.com

Individual votes do count, Bob, but thanks for playing.
This is rare though. Only 1 of thousands of electoral races in the last 200 odd years were decided by 1 vote.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I would. I'm not anti-Federal government, I just prefer it smaller. However, for something like this, I think it's important to protect our voting process and would support National ID.

I'd also support that. This needs to be done with absolutely no affect on suppressing the votes of citizens, and a no charge, national ID would fit the bill well.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:04 AM

893 posts, read 886,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The right wishes to cut off the elderly and poor...who tend to vote Democratic.
the usual liberal BS talking points. Disgusting and as usual, dishonest. I realize that sells to the ill informed ^ and drums up votes for the party of fear and rhetoric but your act is getting old and the public is finally starting to see through it.

All we want is one person, one vote. Period.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:57 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Democrats love illegals and the dead votes.
Democrats need to spread hate to win.

Democrats know how to bring the dead back to life.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:05 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And where do the Democrats stand on the issue? Mostly denying it even exists. I would support a politician who wanted to do something tangible to protect our voting process. I don't have an issue with Voter ID per se. I simply think it's not enough to do anything significant. The registration process is wide open for fraud since most states do not even make people prove citizenship to register. The absentee ballot system could be exploited terribly. The lack of cross checking between states and even intra-state between precincts. These are all things which need to be addressed. The Republicans aren't doing enough and the Democrats are unwilling to even admit there's a problem. I think everyone should be concerned about this but time and again, I find either apathy or denial. Quite sad.

Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned but voting matters to me. So protecting my vote matters to me as well. It is my voice in my own government and maybe it's a small and insignificant voice but it's what I have and to see it diluted due to illegally cast votes is something I simply cannot stand.
Actually the Democratic Secretary of State of Nevada proposed an elegant solution that provided photo ID to all voters. In the legislature both parties voted it down on the basis that it cost too much as there did not appear to be a problem it was solving. The present Republican candidate for SofS opposes the proposed system because it costs too much but supports photo ID...I would guess again because it would keep the poor and elderly from voting.

The Recent GAO report found that significant suppression of voting occurred in Tennessee and Kansas when Photo ID was initiated. So we now know. It will cost a percentage of US voters their right to cast a ballot if adopted. So you wish to protect the vote against a non-existent threat at the cost of cutting off a significant percentage of the US eligible voters?

Old 10-26-2014, 12:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
the usual liberal BS talking points. Disgusting and as usual, dishonest. I realize that sells to the ill informed ^ and drums up votes for the party of fear and rhetoric but your act is getting old and the public is finally starting to see through it.

All we want is one person, one vote. Period.
Actually GAO found that the young and the elderly were the ones effected. Pretty clear cut. May get the Repubs a one percent or a little better edge.

Last edited by lvoc; 10-26-2014 at 12:50 PM..

Old 10-26-2014, 12:15 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrats need to spread hate to win.

Democrats know how to bring the dead back to life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Democrats love illegals and the dead votes.

It is hard to take your argument seriously when it relies on ad hominems and poor humor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies