Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 06:51 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The most obvious racism during Obama's two Presidential elections was not in the general election but in the Democratic Primary in 2008. It was Obama's overwhelming victory margins among black voters that paved his way to the Democratic nomination. African-Americans just like Irish, Italian and Jewish Americans before them tend to vote for their own at a higher percentage than WASP's tend to vote for their own. It is human nature for persecuted groups to act on such a manner.
In 1914 I'd agree about the Irish, Italians and Jews. In 2014 since we're ALL now "anglo white" or "WASP", our vote is up for grabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 06:53 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I would like to coin a new phrase for debate and that new phrase is called “Reverse race carding”. Let me define reverse race carding. Reverse race carding is the attempt to mitigate or dismiss the existence and or influence of race and racism, by suggesting that those making a claim of racism are doing so erroneously and disingenuously to gain some sort of an advantage or as an excuse by playing the “race card”.

The impact of reverse race carding is to facilitate, whether via intent or coincidence, racism by suggesting that most claims of racism are false and that those making the claims do so disingenuously. The goal of using the phrase is to put those pointing out racism (the race carders) on the defensive by making the claimers seem like the morally deviant entity that is the real problem, in order to intimidate or ostracize them into silence so that they will not expose racism.
Looks like we have a Social Justice Warrior on our hands...

Racism is a real thing that still exists. I have personally seen black men who are about as intimidating as Gary Coleman or Al Roker get treated by the cops like they were a 6'6 bodybuilder draped in gang colors with a Glock tucked in their pants. I have been talking to a black guy before and had the cops come up and ask if there was a problem and act like

Yes, it does exist and still exists.

However, that doesn't mean that it is as bad as it was in both frequency and intensity and it doesn't mean that things aren't getting better. It doesn't mean that there are people who purposely race bait for political, social, and economic gain. That also doesn't mean that many of the problems faced by the black community have to do with the choices that the individuals in that community make.

Throwing around an accusation of racism is more often than not a bunch of BS used to derail a conversation and put the other person on the defense.

That is all.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Numbers do not lie. Obama won the nomination despite losing both the Hispanic and white vote.
Obama couldn't win the WH without whites, asians, jews, etc...

Old 11-10-2014, 09:15 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
The most obvious racism during Obama's two Presidential elections was not in the general election but in the Democratic Primary in 2008. It was Obama's overwhelming victory margins among black voters that paved his way to the Democratic nomination. African-Americans just like Irish, Italian and Jewish Americans before them tend to vote for their own at a higher percentage than WASP's tend to vote for their own. It is human nature for persecuted groups to act on such a manner.
I question your working definition of "racism". I think the color played a role in the primaries and Obama getting the black vote, but saying that color played a role is different than saying that role was "racist".

Racism:

noun

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com

I think that black people wanted to see another black person FINALLY GET A CHANCE. It was historic and a first. Now....if Another black person runs in the primaries in 2016....and gets 90% of the black vote...then I would concede your point. However, there cannot be another "First" and if another black person ran in the Dem Primaries against say....Hilary.....I bet you they would not get the majority of the black vote. Maybe a "black women".....but definitely not a black man.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:11 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
I question your working definition of "racism". I think the color played a role in the primaries and Obama getting the black vote, but saying that color played a role is different than saying that role was "racist".

Racism:

noun

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Racism | Define Racism at Dictionary.com

I think that black people wanted to see another black person FINALLY GET A CHANCE. It was historic and a first. Now....if Another black person runs in the primaries in 2016....and gets 90% of the black vote...then I would concede your point. However, there cannot be another "First" and if another black person ran in the Dem Primaries against say....Hilary.....I bet you they would not get the majority of the black vote. Maybe a "black women".....but definitely not a black man.
Early polls had Obama in the single digits in most publications geared towards Black's... Ebony, Essence, Jet.

Michelle had to go on a cross country media run to sell Obama to Blacks. We weren't big on him. I had to sell my dad on him because of his name.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:08 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Early polls had Obama in the single digits in most publications geared towards Black's... Ebony, Essence, Jet.

Michelle had to go on a cross country media run to sell Obama to Blacks. We weren't big on him. I had to sell my dad on him because of his name.
I believe that is true. The initial hesitation was that blacks did not think he could win until he did well in Iowa....then blacks started coming over when liberal whites showed that they would support him.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:24 PM

169 posts, read 124,231 times
Quote:
How does any of us know? The only minds that we have direct access to or the best access to is our own. Thus, how does the person making the claim against other minds know and how do those defending the "other minds" (outside of their own) from the claim know that the claim is false?

All one knows is thyself. If the self does know or employ proper definitions of terms and language, the self might not know the self either......it may be in denial.

Example...if I accused JJB of racism then uggabugga defends JJB........what grounds do either of us (me and uggabugga) have to stand on? At this point, without presenting evidence......uggabogga is not qualified to refute my claims.
Simple, it is not up to the person being accused to defend themselves against a charge of racism, nor it is it required that they be supported by outside individuals.

The responsibility for proving the charge of racism as valid lies squarely on the shoulders of the one leveling the charge, and when they cannot do so, it is fair to describe their tactic as "playing the race card".

Old 11-10-2014, 01:34 PM

I just read about something called "environmental racism". It involves the idea that factories that reduce air quality are intentionally placed in areas where black people live. Yeah, people actually dream up stuff like that.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
That is not true for the issue of race. Once race was oppressed by another. Its not a wash. So the oppressing race HAS NO ARGUMENT. THEY HAVE NO DEFENSE. ITS ON RECORD and they cannot turn around and say that the other race did the same thing to them. Hence...that race does not want to talk about RACE....because they have no comeback. GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!.... so they just don't want to hear it and come up with these terms like 'Race Card"to be used on people who bring up the empirical evidence....in an attempt to shame them into silence by making it seem like THEY ARE THE PROBLEM.
Are you seriously claiming that all white people are racist by virtue of being white and that it is impossible for a black person to be a racist because historically black people have been oppressed? smh.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:38 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Such non-sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies