Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How has this forum changed your political views?
Small shift in political views 17 14.66%
Large shift in political views 7 6.03%
Reinforced original political views 35 30.17%
No Change 57 49.14%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

I've always abhorred statists (regardless of D or R affiliation).

That feeling has only grown stronger from participating on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap
I am curious how participating in this forum has changed people's political views.
It hasnt........ I have MY OWN MIND and thankfully can think FOR MYSELF!!

Old 11-17-2014, 05:06 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I have learned from some of the more cogent right wing posters here, and I enjoy reading their posts. But any potential move on the political dial is overcome by the transparent dishonesty and close-mindedness of the majority of the right wing posters here. Things like, "Tornado Kills 10 in Oklahoma: Thanks Obama!" I find such threads to be so phony and idiotic, I am amazed anyone would post such tripe in a discussion forum. But I see about 10 a day. When I see the same stuff being parroted by the GOP house, I must conclude a lot of GOP voters are dumb enough to put such blowhards in office. Couple that with the relentless hostility toward everyone else, coupled with almost no desire to govern, and no, I do not want conservatives in power. I am not all that liberal, just a bit center left, but I would rather shave this a cheese grater than to see such hateful fools running the country.

I would like to hear new ideas that work, from both sides. But what I have learned is that the current GOP platform is more about spinning the facts than providing competent leadership. Glad to be proven wrong anytime. I just have not been seeing it or hearing anything from the right that strikes me as real leadership. I keep hearing 40 year old ideas that never worked, half truths, character attacks, and lies. Sorry, that ain't inspiring.

We need to put a lot of moderates of both parties back in power, instead of partisan crazies, who cannot show anyone else any respect.
Well said +1

Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
What that really reveals, is that whoever said that had a very small circle of people who they understood.

Everyone has emotions. Far too many let emotion control them.

For example, ALL liberals.
Some folks have an incredible hatred for other groups or one individual in particular. Mob mentality.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:34 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
No change whatsoever!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:14 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Reinforced my Libertarian leanings...as well as my dislike for the Democratic and especially the Republican parties.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:17 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Reinforced my Libertarian leanings...as well as my dislike for the Democratic and especially the Republican parties.

Damn! You beat me to the punch!

Old 11-25-2014, 08:22 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
This forum has proven to me, beyond he shadow of a doubt, that there are morons of every political persuasion. I already knew that there were intelligent people of good will of every political persuasion. It helped me realize that the people who want something for nothing are far more numerous than I imagined.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:23 AM

671 posts, read 890,627 times
No,,,,,Political beliefs are,,,,beliefs.. Just as religious beliefs, fact and reason are put aside. That is where beliefs start...People cling to beliefs like a child to it's blanket..

Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
I learned government from an original libertarian type civics teacher in the mid-60's. She was and continues as my favorite teacher from public education, though probably dead by now.

Most of my friends - historically - have been either politically ignorant or liberals, redundant as that may sound. So I haven't had a lot of opportunity for creative debate. That is, when with like minded persons, we agree on the fundamentals, so no need for debate.

This forum has been an assist to remind myself of how much I appreciate my own values, where I could modify them, and a good platform on which to share them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies