Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should "Under God" be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance?
Yes, remove it 51 49.51%
No, keep it 52 50.49%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:36 PM

527 posts, read 709,110 times

Advertisements

Judge Hearing Lawsuit Over Pledge Of Allegiance's 'Under God'

Lawsuit fights against 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance at NJ school | Fox News

New Jersey family has sued their school district over saying "Under God" on Pledge of Allegiance. Judge will decide whether it's Constitutional or not; a phrase that was added in 1954 when "In God We Trust" was declared the official motto of the USA. N.J. Constitution does mention "Almighty God" as well.

MA ruled it Constitutional earlier and believes it is not discriminating against atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 02:53 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
Judge Hearing Lawsuit Over Pledge Of Allegiance's 'Under God'

Lawsuit fights against 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance at NJ school | Fox News

New Jersey family has sued their school district over saying "Under God" on Pledge of Allegiance. Judge will decide whether it's Constitutional or not; a phrase that was added in 1954 when "In God We Trust" was declared the official motto of the USA. N.J. Constitution does mention "Almighty God" as well.

MA ruled it Constitutional earlier and believes it is not discriminating against atheists.
IT doesn't mention any one particular God. I'm not a complete Atheist, so I don't understand the complaint from their end.

This was added much later after our founding. Many state constitutions mention God in them, however the Federal Constitution does not, this was on purpose.

Perhaps it should be removed from the federal pledge. You don't have to say it, as I remember, you have the option of abstaining or leaving the room if you feel persecuted.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
IT doesn't mention any one particular God. I'm not a complete Atheist, so I don't understand the complaint from their end.

This was added much later after our founding. Many state constitutions mention God in them, however the Federal Constitution does not, this was on purpose.

Perhaps it should be removed from the federal pledge. You don't have to say it, as I remember, you have the option of abstaining or leaving the room if you feel persecuted.
Im an atheist. Leaving the room or not saying it is noticed, there a lot of pressure and occasional violence if you do not say it.

Kids suck.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:59 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Im an atheist. Leaving the room or not saying it is noticed, there a lot of pressure and occasional violence if you do not say it.

Kids suck.
However, we don't make special rules for kids making fun of, or picking on your child. Thats free speech even as a child. Giving you the option not to testify "so help me God" or leave the room is constitutional enough, in my mind.

Like I said, I'm on the fence on this one. I see both sides of the argument as equal, and will let the courts decide.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:36 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
I sometimes think some go a little too far in trying to get "God" removed from everything, but considering the fact "Under God" wasn't in the initial pledge and the circumstances surroudning it being added to it in the first place, it should be removed.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
However, we don't make special rules for kids making fun of, or picking on your child. Thats free speech even as a child. Giving you the option not to testify "so help me God" or leave the room is constitutional enough, in my mind.

Like I said, I'm on the fence on this one. I see both sides of the argument as equal, and will let the courts decide.
Yeah I see both sides as well, but really as a atheist i am big on the separation of church and state thing. And the reality is that leaving it in has the result of indoctrinating children-peer pressure is powerful, and the state often forces children to recite the pledge. When the consequences of not doing so can vary wildly I beleive its unconstitutional.

But a court will decide that. I'm hoping eventually the supreme court will.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:50 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,264 times
can someone please sue atheists for STUPID lawsuits?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
can someone please sue atheists for STUPID lawsuits?
Why exactly do you think something like this is stupid? I assure you that for many atheists and others this is important. Would you feel the same if we ended the pledge with "Hail satan?"

Old 11-19-2014, 05:56 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Why exactly do you think something like this is stupid? I assure you that for many atheists and others this is important. Would you feel the same if we ended the pledge with "Hail satan?"

Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:

To an Atheist, GOD is they themselves and the world revolves around them.
They can always pledge allegiance to themselves, as GOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies